Don Helms on RFD

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Sam White

Don Helms on RFD

Post by Sam White »

I just got throu watching the Wilburn Brothers with Lorretta Lynn and Don Helms on Steel. That is a old Sho Bud that he was playing.These shows have to be way back in the Fiftys as thay are all very young.We watch this RFD channel every day and at night to catch all these old shows when Counrty was Country and it makes you feel great to hear this great music.
Sam White
Junior King

Post by Junior King »

Hi Sam:
The Wilburn Bros TV Show first aired in 1963. Although it was the first country music show produced in color, there first shows were in black and white. Last weeks show was in B&W, with Jean Sheppard and Loretta Lynn. I also noticed the steel player who I think was Helm was standing up playing. I also watched the show tonight, with Helm.
I remember getting my first color TV in 1967 and the only shows in color were the network news programs. http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/wilburn_brothers/bio.jhtml
Jr. Image Image Image Image
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Junior you are right. I seen the black and wite show last week also. Yes that was Don Helms playing the stand up Steel.I seen Claude Brunnell playing on of those Stand up steels at Larry Selfs Steel show in New Smyrna Florida in 1997 and one of the legs nearest the edge of the stage started to slide back in and Claude kept right on playing. By the time he finished playing it was hanging off the edge of the stage.
Sam White<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 10 February 2006 at 05:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

OPS<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 10 February 2006 at 05:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tom Harris

Post by Tom Harris »

I saw Don back in December,,at a steel jam,,enjoyed talkin to him,he told me he played with the Wilburn Bros,,for about 6 years off and on,,he was playing the double neck 8 string,he told me he got tired of the pedal steel,,and felt more comfortable playing what he grew up with,"his Double neck Gibson"...
Tom harris
Junior King

Post by Junior King »

Hey Sam:
I noticed on the show last night and on a show a couple of weeks ago that was in color. Don was using a Stevens bar. Also the double neck steel, he was playing last night, looked like it only had four or five pedals. I had been thinking about trying a Stevens bar and I figure if it was good enough for Don Helms its good enough for me. Also if no finger picks is good enough for Bobbe Seymour, good enough for me.
Later JR Image Image Image
Junior King

Post by Junior King »

Hi Tom:

I think he is going to be at the Texas Steel Guitar Show. In Dallas? This weekend?
JR Image Image Image
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I believe Don’s Sho-Bud was a D–9.

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
’05 D–10 Derby
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15”
Current Equipment