How musicians dressed 1930s to present

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

James Nottage

How musicians dressed 1930s to present

Post by James Nottage »

In 1996 I wrote a book published by the Autry Museum, entitled "Saddlemaker to the Stars: The Leather and Silver Art of Edward H. Bohlin." The volume is now out of print and difficult to obtain so I am working on a new edition.

Bob Wills, Les "Carrot Top" Andersen and other musicians owned and sometimes wore Bohlin produced Western clothing and frequently had Bohlin silver buckles and other jewelry. I am seeking information on other players who used Bohlin goods. Some of you old-timers (I know, that includes me) might have recollections, some of you might have a buckle laying around. Special examples might be of interest to photograph for the new book. The company is still in business. Are any of you using Bohlin items yourselves?

So, please share what information you can. Photographs showing performers with Bohlin wear are also of interest. If you need information about what you have in turn, I am happy to help.

Thanks much! James Nottage[/i]
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Good luck in your pursuit, James, I'll be searching for the old book and looking forward to the new one.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Well if you have a little over $850.00 you can get a copy of the book from here:

http://www.amazon.com/Saddlemaker-Stars ... 0295976055

When I left Hoyle Nix in 1949 he gave me a belt buckle set designed by Bohlin, but unfortunately it was lost in a fire at our ranch house some years ago. I know it didn't cost as much as a copy of the book. :lol: :lol:

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

If I'm not mistaken, there was mention of Bohlin in the last issue of the magazine; "Cowboys and Indians".
Bill Howard

See difference

Post by Bill Howard »

Image[/img]

Here is an example of todays "STAR"..tsk tsk.
And a REAL Star who cared about their looks and fans
Michael Robertson

Marked?

Post by Michael Robertson »

James are the Bohlin products marked in any way?
No Avatar only a picture of my Mentor.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

James it sounds like it would be a great read. Glad to hear our brothers and sisters are treating you well
Ron Whitfield

Re: See difference

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Bill Howard wrote:Here is an example of todays "STAR"..tsk tsk.
And a REAL Star who cared about their looks and fans
While you should never judge a book by it's cover, you just know the high quality of the music greatly outweighs those negatives, besides, look at that rug!... :roll: This coming from one who appreciates a performer who's wallet is in their Levi's back pocket. Dressing down for the stage has been going on for decades, Rory Gallagher used to come to shows spiffily dressed only to don his jeans and plaid uniform.
James Nottage

How musicians dressed

Post by James Nottage »

Thank you all so much for writing. I've seen the books at $850 also, but you can still pick them up at $50 to $100. Wish I could get some of the profit from those who overcharge!

Fred, can you tell me more about Hoyle Nix and describe the buckle for me? That would be appreciated.

Michael, I'm glad you asked about marks. Bohlin products are always marked. From the late 1920s to about 1980 the standard mark was oval with "BOHLINMADE" arching over the top, "HOLLYWOOD" across the bottom and "CALIF." in the center. After 1980, you will see the Bohlin mark inside a shield. Other,sometimes nearly identical products, were made by other makers and will usually have their names stamped on the backs.

Later day performers have often used Bohlin buckles including Lee Greenwood, George Strait, Don McLean, and I understand that Eric Clapton may have just acquired a buckle with overlaid miniature Stratocaster guitar!

In addition to buckles, Bohlinmade hat bands, watch bands, money clips (for all the big bucks muscians all make) cuff links, bolo ties, etc. were also used by performers.

James Nottage
Michael Robertson

Eliminates mine

Thanks James that pretty much eliminates my buckles, hat bands and such.
Michael Robertson

Bohlin made

Here is what I found..........
It sure is out of my league $$$
Beautiful work though

http://www.bohlinmade.com/
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Back ine 40's and 50' there was a Country Singer named Sam Nichols who also did tooled leather work for many Musicians and Western Movie Stars. Don't know what ever happened to him.
Larry Edwards

clothes

Post by Larry Edwards »

they dressed pretty snazzy back in those days but that country garb not fer me to uncomfortable to play . i cant play with those cockroach killer boots on just dont work for me . i dont think ya need all that garb to be player.
I have 2 pedalmaster steels dbl 10
with 8 pedals and 5 knees.and a dbl body single neck with 3 pedals and 5 knees. I play a vegas 400 and I have a new steelking. I am a leftie.
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

When those stars of yesteryear took the stage you knew they were stars. Nowadays they look like they just crawled out of a dumpster after a weekend binge. NCAA= No Class At All. What a shame.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Michhael,That sums it up pretty good. :D YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I remember the Bohlin western store on Highland Ave. I used to buy shirts and boots there. I could never afford any silver. Nice memories.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?