BSG Steel Guitars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Shackelton

BSG Steel Guitars

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Are Any Forumites Playing A BSG Steel Guitar?
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) Yeah ...Stu or David up north one of em has as BSG. Don Burroughs is a great guy ,makes superbly evgineered psg's they are by and large a c'nc' frame with mostly laminate finishes. THESE are excellent instuments made 1 at a time to your setup. I consider Don and Ruby friends and truly excellent folks. Don't let the fact that they are kinda unknown atm deter u, I assure u each and every guitar Don builds is professional grade....just my 2 cents.....Stormy ;-)oh yeah and his prices are freakin great..
Rich Gibson

Post by Rich Gibson »

These are 1st class guitars.As good as any I've seen.
Don is a very gifted craftsmen and great to deal with.
LaVern Skarzenski

All the above is true!

Post by LaVern Skarzenski »

I just got my new BSG from Don and Ruby several weeks ago. They are truly great folks, and it is a pleasure to do business with them. I would recomend them and the BSG to anyone. I am a rather short legged person and the previous guitars I had were good guitars but it was a compromise to get them to fit. I gave the dimensions for the placements of the pedals and levers to Don and he made them just as I asked though I suspect, no I know, it was a bit of a challenge to get them where I wanted. I asked to have the legs shortened up from standard, and he got them just where I wanted them and the guitar fits like a glove. Don is a meticulous machinist and isn't happy unless it is perfect. I am very happy with my new BSG and am glad to have met Don and Ruby and call them my friends. I'll see if I can download a couple of pictures. Sorry for poor picture quality.
LaVern Skarzenski
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I don't own one of Don's guitars but I wish that one was mine! ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Terry Kinnear

Post by Terry Kinnear »

Hey LaVern, congrats on the new bsg. Got your wife a second job? good for you..worked for me . would have loved to seen it at the steel jam ,last sunday. Don and Ruby ,are great folks. He makes a great steel guitar. Wayne Hetzler,has one ,the tone is awsome, and Wayne can play that steel.If anyone is looking for a great steel. You cant beat the price .Nice pedal steel guitar. my next steel guitar is a BSG ,3&5 ...I"ll buy it first then tell the wife.[ ex-wife] she might have something to say about that ...nice steel LaVern. Tk
Terry Kinnear [ steel wondering]
Al Starnes

Post by Al Starnes »

Great looking guitar.

Are some of the under-carriage parts jewelled? If so, it's the first time I've seen that done to the bottom of a steel. Anyway, they sure look good.
LaVern Skarzenski

Hi Al,
Sorry but I don't know what you mean by jeweled. I'll see if I can get Don to watch this posting to answer any questions you folks may have. I am very happy with it's looks and how it fits and how it plays. After using Wallace TruTones on several lap builds and liking them, I asked Don to set it up with a TruTone, and It really sustains and sounds pretty good. Don normally offers the BL-710. I'm not sure what they would sound like, but if Don uses them I'm sure they are great.
LaVern
Al Starnes

Post by Al Starnes »

Laverne,

Jewelling is simply a series of fine scratches left in the finish from sanding or lapping. A lot of guitars have jewelled necks. Yours may have but I can't tell from the angle of the photos.

Look at the flat surface just in front of the pickup and see if the neck has a sort of patterned look rather than a polished finish. If yes, then your neck is jewelled.

Looks to me like the flat surfaces underneath your guitar have this type finish. It also looks like the pedal bar has a different finish as well; same thing maybe?
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

from wheat I see the top of the neck looks like it was blasted with beads or pellets,It doesn't seem to have the swirly pattern that jeweling has. ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Don Burrows

Post by Don Burrows »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The guitar has felt on the wood, just for a nicer look, the aluminum parts have been sandblasted which gives it a nicer look than plain aluminum. Also the steel crossrods have been sandblasted. The pedal rack is a hammer-on aluminum powder coating. I have been powder coating this now for a couple of years as a pedal rack gets a lot of wear and with the powder coating being tough, it keeps the rack looking nice. The top of the aluminum neck has been pre scratched, some I have powder coated the same as the rack.
Don Burrows
Builder of BSG Steel Guitars
LaVern Skarzenski

There you go, straight from the source. Thanks Don for your input. I can't say enough about how easy you made buying a guitar, and fitting it to my build. Thanks again.
Lavern Skarzenski
Terry Kinnear

Post by Terry Kinnear »

Hey , LaVern , you steel,have your gfi ?
Terry Kinnear [ steel wondering]
LaVern Skarzenski

Terry,
No, I had my original GFI S-10, and then I had a GFI S-12, but both of those are gone now and I have this BSG S-10, and a couple of lap steels I made.
LaVern