Carco Clave

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

thurlon hopper

Carco Clave

Post by thurlon hopper »

Haven't seen any mention of Carco Clave lately and was wondering if he is still on the Nashville scene. Got an e-mail from him some time ago but heard nothing since. Last time i actually saw him was in San Jose in 1977. Met Barry Blackwood then too. Pete Grant was on the scene then too. Anyone seen or talked to Carco (Carlos Claveria) lately? John Hopper
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Great player.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Carco has been attending the Texas Steel Guitar Jamboree the past coupla years. One of the greatest all-round musicians I have ever seen and heard.Jody.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I had a chance to hang with him in Nashville in May - he was playing his old Strat with Doug Jernigan on Broadway. Sounded great, he really plays his butt off (and what else can we say about Doug, right?). Anyways, I've been playing a lot of redneck-jazz guitar ever since. I wanted to hang for weeks down there, but had to go to a conference in Atlanta and then head back here to PA for work-related stuff. Next time.

For those of you who think country and redneck-jazz is dead in Nashville, forget it. Get your butts down there and hang with the big boys. It'll open your eyes up. :)
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

I saw him play out in the lobby w/ a small band at Dallas 2007. It was one of the most enjoyable sets of the whole show. He played an old beat up wood/lacquer P/P that sounded beautiful.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

You can find plenty of videos of Carco playin on YouTube.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Here's Carco on a 10 string Fender Deluxe (never seen a 10 string before)....at the Rick Alexander Non Pedal Sessions...Dallas 2010....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74eAaDinmBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vENj10lVWL0
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

He has been to the Phoenix show year before last and I see him every year in Dallas

Great player (and his wife is a great fiddle player too)

Yep still in Nashville

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Ronnie Miller

Post by Ronnie Miller »

Hey Thurlon,
I spotted him today in Nashville on Broadway @ Roberts, He said he was doing 2 shifts today. Mike Sweeney was doing a triple...cya...Ronnie
Chris Cummings

Post by Chris Cummings »

He was doing a gig in the UK last week.playing with Chuck Mead [ use to be the frontman of BR 549 ] Had a nice chat - you can guess the subject !
Great player !!
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

When I lived in Nashville Carco would let me sit in on the "Delores Hancock" Emmons at Tootsies. Renee was on fiddle, too. When not in use, that steel was chained to the stairwell upstairs, right of the bar. Great memories of yesteryear and great memories of a great guy.

If anyone sees him, pass my best on. - DJ -
Robert Colvert

update on Carco Clave

Post by Robert Colvert »

Carco is staying busy in Nashville & has been on the road with Chuck Mead & the Grassy Knoll Boys. I know they have opened for Willie a time or two, & gigged at the Ryman. They will be at the Station Inn on Dec 30, 2010.

I found this video on Youtube from his days with the Wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgaTPz6 ... ata_player
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

He was at the Fairdale, Ky steel guitar show a month ago. I hadn't seen him in a couple of years at one of our friends funerals. He was playing a 69 wood body Emmons and a really weird amp he'd cut down. It was an old LTD amp with a 12" speaker made for him to play through and use as his pac a seat. It was actually pretty cool and I took some pictures of it. His guitar was like his amp, heavily modified by himself as he does that with everything he owns. He likes to keep it small and simple to carry around. He packed that guitar away in what looked like an old army case for artillery and he said he takes it on the plane just like with no padding or anyting in it. He's got allen wrenches and a screw driver fixed underneath the guitar and it's wired to have out of phase switches on it and the cover plate had a tone control for each neck. Don't know why as the regular Emmons set-up will do that on both necks anyway but that's what he had. I took some pictures so check it out.

Dave A. Burley

Carco Clave

Post by Dave A. Burley »

I jsut seen Carco at Roberts in Nashville just a couple weeks ago. He was playing what looked like a two x four with strings and a pickup on it. The man has to know tone to get such a beautiful sound out of that instrument. Made me wonder why all the steel guitar makers put so darn much into it when Carco can take a piece of wood and make it sound as good if not better than anything on the market. What a great picker too. Boy I enjoyed him. I had a show next door that I was responsible for but I spent most of my time lurking by the door at Roberts.
Dave A. Burley