Paul Franklin playing Nightlife with Willie Nelson ca. 1993

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Neer

Paul Franklin playing Nightlife with Willie Nelson ca. 1993

Post by Mike Neer »

I came across a huge box of live recordings from way back--things I taped from the radio, at shows, etc.--and I remember taping this Willie show off the radio. This was Willie at The Roxy 3/22/93, with a band consisting of Reggie Young, Paul Franklin, Benmont Tench, Mark O'Connor, David Grissom, Mark Isham, Mickey Raphael, Stephen Bruton, Debbie Dobkin, Kenny Aronoff--what a band!

Willie had just released one of my favorites of his more recent records, Across The Borderline.

Anyway, here's Nightlife from that show--it was the second tune they played (everyone seems to know the changes 'cept Willie :lol:). Just kidding, love you Willie! Paul, you play some lovely stuff here. My question is: do you use that much echo or is that coming from the house? Hope you don't mind me posting it.
Bill Cutright

Post by Bill Cutright »

any more where that came from...?
Ryan Barwin

Post by Ryan Barwin »

Wow, cool. Thanks for posting it, Mike.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Paul Franklin has been an amazing player for a very long time. This is another example of his extraordinary talent.

I think his steel sounds a bit different than his current recordings. Was it the amp, or did he use a push-pull on this gig?
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

Sound-wise, it's pretty consistent with the steel you'd hear in the early 90s. Listen to early Alan Jackson and Dire Straits. I may be wrong, but sounds like the mids are up higher than you might hear today and the bass is cut way back.

I was playing at church this past weekend and had a fairly warm tone dialed in at the amp to fit the music we were playing. The monitor board had a high pass filter on and some other EQ on my in-ears and it turned it into a similar tone.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I'd like to hear more! :)
Jeff Bradshaw

Post by Jeff Bradshaw »

I'm agree with Theresa, I would like to hear more!!
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Great, like always !! Sounds like the "ole blue" Franklin guitar :)
Hook
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

I think I could learn to hate a Johnny One Note harmonica player as much as a banjo !! :whoa: :whoa:

Regrets, Paul :oops: :oops: :cry:
Bill Cutright

Post by Bill Cutright »

I thought I heard about 4, maybe, 5 notes from Mickey.
Tom Stolaski

Post by Tom Stolaski »

That is some great pickin by Paul. I love it. I was just wondering if Paul wished he had the ol Boo-Wahh change just for this show. I am not saying that I missed it, just for the fact that it is a great take on the standard Emmons turn around. I think I heard one little section that was copied from the Emmons version. Very nice.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

I had the pleasure of watching and hearing him pay for hours and hours at Jeff Newman's June Jams.(89 to 95). This was pretty much his tone back then. A tad too much delay on this clip. But I prefer it over the current tone he has on the Station Inn and Dave Peterson clips.

Disclaimer. Not saying his current tone is bad. Just stating my preference.
bb