Paul Franklin playing a Sho-bud - recent vid

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Rusty Rhoads wrote:higher the ohms the more winds are on a pickup 20k ohms is to much gets fuzzy sounding then a little over kill , how many pickups have you wound i have wound plenty myself
Old saying,

"one does not need to grow watermelons, to understand watermelons!"

The increase of resistance has nothing to do with the coils musical response. It simply means there is more coils. A straight piece of wire at 14k OR 20K will NOT pick up ANY signal.

Yet fold that same piece of wire into a coil and it will start to pu. Increase the number of coils in that SAME piece of wire and more signal; make the coils closer together (same resistance) and a measurable increase in PU: wrap those same coils around an iron core; and the same resistance coil will PU many times more.

Again, the resistance measured is ONLY the DC resistance of the wire itself; which is the same whether it is a staight piece of wire or formed into a coil.

Knowledge far surpasses the implementation of knowledge. And IF it is coupled with wisdom from Jesus; it is a gift that cannot be learned, yet it is there and can be used, to perform unbelievable feats, AKA:

1. King Solomon (the second Israelite King).

2. Saul of Tarsus; when Jesus blinded him; and gave him wisdom that accompanied his name; being changed to Paul. And resulted in him, becoming THE most quoted author in history; of ANY literary writings to have ever been written.

c.
A broken heart + † = a new heart.
Kenneth Kotsay

Hearing Problems??????

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

PAUL (Including all old time steel players 50+) (I'm a Franklin owner D-10 #186). Do you think, just a thought, no argument, but just maybe could it be your hearing, after all I'm 61 years old and I do have some hearing loss like all old timers do, it's an age thing, I keep on telling my wife to repeat herself and I'm never satisfied on what comes out of my amps & steels, the T.V. is also tuned up.

If you do have a hearing loss would it have an effect on what you are hearing coming out of that Sho-Bud & Fender amp???

But then again did John Hughey have a hearing loss, his playing is out of this world so is your's Paul, how about Jerry Bryd also, did these two ever complain about about a hearing loss and what effect it has on them playing steel & working in studios.

Now this is just a thought, after all someday soon a hearing aid will be a must.

Ken
Rusty Rhoads

Post by Rusty Rhoads »

MR DIXON i know you get my point unless your just trying to be a smarty pants do you even get what i am saying about tone of a pickup ? and i ask how many have you made was a simple question enough for you to answer a simple yes or NO !

Here is what i am going to do if anyone is INTERESTED I will make a video and feature every steel guitar that anyone wants to bring to this video shoot and i will play any guitar you bring with 2 cords one volume pedal and one amp same song and we can compare all these on video for anyone one to view what guitar's they like in tone quality and tone peformance old verse's new / new verse's new formica verse's wood ect any combination is welcome you can even bring and old bigsby if you have one .

Anyone who like to participate with a steel weather and individual or any other steel guitar maker's i welcome everyone who like to participate in this .
this could be an exciting way to display ever aspect of STEEL GUITAR TONE for everyone no matter if your a pro or just play a steel guitar at home for your own enjoyment ..................
Rusty Rhoads
Rusty Rhoads

Post by Rusty Rhoads »

Here is what i am going to do if anyone is INTERESTED I will make a video and feature every steel guitar that anyone wants to bring to this video shoot and i will play any guitar you bring with 2 cords one volume pedal and one amp same song and we can compare all these on video for anyone one to view what guitar's they like in tone quality and tone peformance old verse's new / new verse's new formica verse's wood ect any combination is welcome you can even bring and old bigsby if you have one .

Anyone who like to participate with a steel weather and individual or any other steel guitar maker's i welcome everyone who like to participate in this .
this could be an exciting way to display ever aspect of STEEL GUITAR TONE for everyone no matter if your a pro or just play a steel guitar at home for your own enjoyment ..................
Rusty Rhoads
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Kenneth,

So far my hearing is fine......The soundman also heard it.....He tried to talk me into bypassing the amp altogether and just running through the monitors......I believe he did take a direct line out from all of the instruments which is why the clip sounds a lot cleaner than it did on stage. The clip was taken from a DVD that was mixed from the board so my guess is he probably bypassed the amp for the clip.

Paul
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Rusty Rhoads wrote:MR DIXON i know you get my point unless your just trying to be a smarty pants do you even get what i am saying about tone of a pickup ? and i ask how many have you made was a simple question enough for you to answer a simple yes or NO !
Yeah, come on Carl! Answer the man's question: HOW MANY have you made? YES or NO?
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Carl,
Thanks for posting some real information about pickups. I look at it like this. The size of a box is the sum of its height, width and depth. Only using the number of winds in a pickup to control the tone of a pickup is the same as only using height to control the size of a box.
Bob
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Bob Hoffnar wrote:Carl,
Thanks for posting some real information about pickups. I look at it like this. The size of a box is the sum of its height, width and depth. Only using the number of winds in a pickup to control the tone of a pickup is the same as only using height to control the size of a box.
You are correct Bob,

If you unwind every coil in any Pickup ever made, and you stretch it out to its fullest length, it will PICK up NO induced voltage from a vibrating string. NONE. Zilch, nada! No matter the relationship of said string and said wire.

Yet, if you measure that wire with any accurate DC ohmeter, it will STILL read exactly the same thing it reads when it was formed into coils; that WILL pick up vibrating strings.

That is pure Electrical engineering 101!

The resistance of the wire plays NO role in the tone a coil produces, EXCEPT to lower the output level. In fact the purest coil that could EVER be made is one with ZERO resistance. But NO one has ever been able to make one, since ALL electrical conductors have resistance, which is accumlative over its length!

When you add more coils to a pu, the resistance of the wire naturally increases. However that resitance plays NO role in the tone of said PU. But the additional coils play a minor to major role in the tone.

Now if you talk about the AC resistance of a coil, that is a horse of a different color. But there is NO off the shelf ohmeter ever built that can measure AC resistance.

Even in laboratories where inductance, capacitance, inductive reactance, capacitive reactance, impedance, resonant frequency, etc, is a major concern; it takes many pieces of measuring devices; to determine the AC resitance of a given piece of straight wire; formed in to a coil; and wrapped around a core; be it air or solid material.

I rest my case. I will not engage in silly games.

My final comments on this thread. Flame away.

c.
A broken heart + † = a new heart.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

The Model 370 AC Resistance Bridge is designed for precise, accurate, low noise, low excitation power of AC resistance measurements. ;-)
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

I do understand all the above.

But back to the original post about Paul.

He was not playing his Franklin but I knew straight away it was him, even though the amp and steel was not up to par to what Paul is used with the Franklin guitar and stereo rig, which I know is a great setup, as I have the same. Paul still sounded amazing. Ive been in a situation with someone elses steel and an amp which is not up to par and that effects my playing as im so picky !!!

But Paul thumbs up, your awesome, my biggest imspiration and many of other here on the forum too.

What you do on the steel guitar is amazing and so different from everyone else, thats why your the guy whos on most of the sessions here, and the the player whos called up for the big live events in town. Not saying the other greats are not as good, theres no number one, theres people with different sytles, everyones different. But you shine through !

Your friend

Jamie
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

Who's the owner of the shobud?

www.georgettejones.net
Tomi Graso

Post by Tomi Graso »

Just found this post, woooowww, what a great solo by Paul Franklin , I think we should all sit down and learn that solo rather then dwell if wood body guitar sounds better or formica ....It's all in Master's hands ! This sound on the video reminded me of the early 90's Franklin era when it was more like Nashville 400 sound.....Again , what a great solo Paul and you shine like a jewel ! What a great statement you made in that song !
Thanks Jamie for the Post ! Really enjoyed the song !
Thank you so much ! More please !!!
Larry Hutchison

Post by Larry Hutchison »

This vid. is awesome. Does anyone have the title in English. And the lyrics in English?
Larry Hutchison, Marlen D-10 8 x 7, Peavey Sessions 500(2) and Peavey Nashville 400
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

It must be the wood necks then ...I used to have a ShoBud Super Pro with Ali necks and it never sounded that good :lol:
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Sigurgeir Sigmundsson

Post by Sigurgeir Sigmundsson »

I love this clip and it shows how much the sound is in the fingers and the hands of Paul. It sounded so good and loud that I could hear it all over to Iceland where I live. I have a Sho bud 1983 just like this one with Bill Lawrence pickups and I love the sound from it. I recently bought a Excel Superb ( no headstock) and its not a question that the clarity of the tone, the pedals and the levers are easyer to play and the tuning is better. But the Sho bud has a warm tone (probably the wood) and a wonderful character but what it is missing is a little sustain. I can hear a rattle on the middle strings in the nut from E-b-G#-F#. Can you give me a hint how I could get more sustain from these strings? Is it possible that the tension on the strings in the middle is to low and by lowering the strings behind the nut could do the trick ? ( like on a Fender strat. I would be grateful if you could give me an advice on this. All the best from Iceland Siggi
Kline D10 Excel S10 Superb, Sho bud Super Pro 11 D10, Carter D10, Fender Twin, Peavey Nashville 1000, Rickenbacker Electro, Duesenberg Ponoma, Martin acc Regal dobro,
graham rodger

Post by graham rodger »

Regardless of the instrument or the amp or venue,acoustics etc,it seems to me to be in the hands,the ears,the moment.It's why pro's are pro's.Experience is king!!Making the best of the situation,Pedal steel especially because of copedents and differences in them,it ain't always their standard tuning.Pro's travel a lot!and at times have to arrange for a stand in amp,instrument etc hired from companies that do that stuff.Folks talk about "I saw this guy using that" etc(possibly hired?)through necessity due to such busy schedules and flight arrangements for gear etc.Nicely remixed for TV as explained but very well played "in the moment".Very nice needs Bumped bigtime,Go Shobud,Go Paul,...Graham :)
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

I've heard Paul play ShoBuds, PP Emmons and Frankins dozens of times (I was probably the formost stalker when I worked in Nashville in the 70s), and have come to know that:

-Paul always sounds great to us in the audience
-Paul always sounds like Paul
-He plays more relaxed and effortlessly on the Franklin guitar.

Thanks for posting this. It brought me back to Possum Holler in the 70s.
Kjell Helde

Post by Kjell Helde »

Hi, Paul sound great on this video now matter what :D .
I must got this DVD. :)
Give Paul a pices of wood with 10 strings and a pic up and a amp, and you can hear that is Paul playing. :)
He is just awesome. Hope you take a trip back too Norway again Paul. :D

Kjell.
Franklin D10, Emmons D10 LL II, Profex II, Mosvalve 500, 2 piec 112 Enclosure.
Skypename: kjell.helde
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

Kjell is so right !

www.georgettejones.net
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I just want to say that you sound great Paul even if it wasn't your guitar. That is a tough thing to do anyway playing somebody else's horn. I could tell by watching your hands that you were really working hard at it and not your usual relaxed self. Still sounded great to me.
Ken Mizell

Post by Ken Mizell »

That steel part is great sounding. Whatever it took to get it that way, I love it. The band and singing was great too, even though I've not the slightest idea what they said.
Steeless.
Guy Laine

Post by Guy Laine »

The most impressing fact is that the population on Faroe Islands is 49000 !! And in the city Thorshavn where the concert was held 19000 ! Think about it, - that much talent among those citizens. Thank you Sigrið & Magna, Hallur Joensen and Nashville Fo... :D :D
Larry Hutchison

Post by Larry Hutchison »

Does anyone have, or know where I can get the lyrics of the song by Sigrid & Magna? Vio Vegin
Larry Hutchison, Marlen D-10 8 x 7, Peavey Sessions 500(2) and Peavey Nashville 400
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

That sure is a good sounding ShoBud. I think I will keep this video. lol .
Last edited by Bill Moran on 13 Feb 2014 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill
Guy Laine

Post by Guy Laine »

There's a DVD from this concert, and it is everything the CMA award show should be instead of all the crap... Good country music combined with the band's instrumental performances (+ some singing by Brent Mason and Bryan Sutton). Paul Franklin is having a great evening! Try to get hold of a copy!