Tuning Key's

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rusty Rhoads

Tuning Key's

Post by Rusty Rhoads »

I would like everybody's opinion wich are the best tuning key's you like on your steel guitar or guitar ?
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Rusty,I've got Grovers,Not sure what model?I like them a bunch,I've had bad luck with Schallers in the past,My Carter had Sperzles wasn't that crazy bout them either,Hey I'm looking forward to the case that you will be building.Hope things are going a little better for you. ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Rusty Rhoads

Post by Rusty Rhoads »

Thanks case's will be coming soon i dont like the old grover's to much
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

Schaller's are a fine tuner. IMO
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Rusty,The Grovers that are on my guitar are a lot smaller than the old Grovers I'll try to find the model. ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Have used Kluson, Schaller, Sperzel and Grover. I like the look and feel of the Mini-Grovers best of all.

edited to add:I'd vote for Schallers as second favorite....quality machines and nice feel, just prefer the look of the mini G's. JMO, FWIW.
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 3 Nov 2010 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Jerry,Thank you that's whatz on my guitar. ;-)
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

My old ShoBud had Grovers which stuck up a little bit so your left hand would hit them on occasion. My BMI has Sperzels which have a lower button and are just about even with the string height so that's not a problem anymore........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Walter Bowden

Post by Walter Bowden »

I replaced the original "butterfly" Klusons on my Emmons with Gotoh "butterbean" vintage style replacements and am very happy with the tuning, feel and look.
They are reasonably priced as well except you have to buy 2 sets to do 10 strings. Just my opinion. Walter
Emmons S10, p/p, Nashville 112, Zion 50 tele style guitar, Gibson LP Classic w/Vox AC30, Fender Deluxe De Ville and a Rawdon-Hall classical
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

mini grovers hands down for me.

c.
A broken heart + † = a new heart.
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

Question for anyone, I have the original keys on my 1973 Emmons, wanted to put new one on, order 20 new keys, got them and on the back of each key was" made in Korea), so I decided I didn't want those keys on my Emmons and sent them back,anyone remark about keys made in Korea, thanks Shorty, PS I ordered some Tri-flow oil, oiled the old keys and they work like a charm
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Shorty, what was wrong with the Korean tuners?
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I'm pretty sure Grovers are not made in the USA anymore. :whoa:
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Shorty,

The only replacement keys that will fit on your p/p Emmons are Gotoh brand keys. Kluson replacement keys will not fit because the string post diameter is less than that of the keyhead hole.

As for the country of manufacture, I do not believe ANY tuning keys are still made in the USA. Readers, please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

As for my tuning key preference, the "new" Grovers are kind oh hard to beat with their 18:1 gear ratio.
Billy Knowles

Keys

Post by Billy Knowles »

I like Sperzel.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

I think Waverlys are still made here. Made more for acoustic instruments, tho.
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5; Keyless; Natural Blonde Laquer.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

The Sperzel's on my Super Pro seem to be working well, even after after 30+ years.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

My p/p had the regular button style Klusons, but I always thought the tulip style keys looked classy on the old Emmons.
Allan Thompson

Post by Allan Thompson »

My 1982 Push Pull came with Sperzels. Never had a problem with them.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Sperzel tuners are made in Cleveland.
Robert C. McKee

which ones for an MSA?

Post by Robert C. McKee »

I've a 1979 MSA D-10 Vintage XL that could use some new tuners. I'm beginning to notice a little bit of 'slop' in a couple of them. I don't know brand will fit. Do I tear one down and take measurements and go from there? I like the idea of the high ratio of the mini-g's, however I really like the idea of the Sperzels being made in the USA, Ohio yet! Any help is appreciated. Thanks...Bob
Mike Sigler

Post by Mike Sigler »

What makes the diffence rusty, you play outa tune anyway....Lol :lol: Just jerkin your chain buddy... how are ya doing, I miss not jamming with ya, can't wait to see ya and pick on ya some more....
your still the bomb dude! oh yea... by the way, GO KEYLESS and you won't have to worry... :lol:
See ya soon buddy, you da man, have a great turkey day!
Your brother up north!
mikey 8)
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

The "new" Grovers are smaller and a 18:1 ratio vs the old 14:1. The link below are not the ones they specifically make for pedal steel though. I prefer these.
http://www.grotro.com/Mainoriginalrotos.html
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

They also still make the 14 to 1 tuners. But they are probably smaller too. I have a set of 1933 Statites for sale cheap. $750.
Ron Davis
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California... We're a mile high. ;)

Post by Ron Davis »

:whoa:

$750 tuners?!?

Do they tune themselves?

:lol:

Just kidding, of course. That dang vintage price tag gets ya every time.
Emmons 12 p/p, Revelation, Black Widows, (& way too many assorted goodies...)
Drummer with a pedal steel fantasy. ;)

www.LA-Zep.com
www.Desperado1.com
www.CMWChicagoTribute.com