Rains Steel & killer Texas Swing!

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy Auldridge

Just Great!!!

Post by Tommy Auldridge »

O.K., That's it! I'm moving to Fort Worth.
That Ron Stafford is really inspiring. Of course, I would love to be able to play that well. Without a great band to work with, it's hard to really stay focused on what's important. It just doesn't get any better than that. I could watch this every chance I get. Tommy..........
David Griffin

Bronco Club

Post by David Griffin »

Bill: You're right,now that I think about it,the Bronco Club was on 28th,not far from the "Pink Poodle" club. One of those joints where they checked you for weapons at the door & if you didn't have any,they'd give you one! :P
Bill Stroud

Great

Post by Bill Stroud »

Ron don't wear that Bar out man your doing some hot picking there my friend, glad I got on this site.
Keep up the playing looking forward to seeing you live in Dallas in March at the Rains room, with my good friend Gary Carpenter.
Bill
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

That is some of the freshest, cleanest, most tasteful live steel playing I have heard in a long time!
Like Michael Robertson said, there is a quality in the sound mix here, easily identified by the great separation of the instruments. Makes me wanna go to Texas!
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

Those guys pick together a lot. To add, Derek Spigener on Drums, Billy Martin on Lead. Couldn't get a good look at the piano player. Reggie, Derek, and Billy are with Charley Pride. I picked with them the other night at Pearls and had a blast. Picking with them again this Sat at a private party.
Ricky Thibodeaux

Post by Ricky Thibodeaux »

Only in Texas.....
David Hartley

Hi

Post by David Hartley »

As Ricky says, only in Texas.
That's why I like it there so much. :D

David
Charlie Moore

Steel player

Post by Charlie Moore »

GREAT player,Anybody notice the lick at 18:00-18:05 and at 18:13? killer licks...would love to have the tab on them...Charlie....
Use it up,wear it out,make it do,or do without.....
Johnny Thomasson

Texas Pickers

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

I played two or three sub gigs with Ron back in the mid 80's. He was an absolute monster player even back then, 25 years ago, on both steel and six string. Ron's a real nice guy, and can sing his ass off too. You ought to hear him wear it out on a steel solo. :whoa: Never played with Reggie Rueffer, but I've heard him plenty and his fiddle playing just knocks me out.

There are quite a few pickers here in Texas, and especially around the Fort Worth area, that put up some pretty dang stiff competition. It would take quite a bit of bandwidth to list them all. That's why I've always held on to a steady day gig. :)

Ron is an excellent producer too. I believe he produced Jerry Webb's latest CD.
Johnny Thomasson
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Can anyone tell what pick up Ron has in his Rains,,
close as I can tell, it looks like a BL-705 ?
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

Ron has his amp on it's side, but is it sitting on top of a speaker cabinet? Is he using an extension speaker? These and other mysteries still persist.
Ricky Thibodeaux

Hats off to the camera man for the really nice close-up shots of Ron on the steel. It helps me to steal some of his licks. haha :D
David Hartley

Hi

Post by David Hartley »

I thought this deserves a bump to the top, you need to watch this if you haven't all ready done so.

Hope to see you in Dallas Ron.
Ricky Thibodeaux

Hey David, I just bought Jerry Webb's Live from Pearl's cd and it also comes with a DVD. How cool is that.....
Michael Robertson

Post by Michael Robertson »

David Griffin wrote:Michael: Still have my hat! And knowing me in those days,I was probably in the State of inebriation! 8)
David, many years ago that State of inebriation was my “home of record”.
Darn near a permanent residency. Not anymore though.
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

Michael: I know what you mean! I haven't had an alcoholic beverage since 2004. I feel MUCH better,at least in the mornings! :D
Ron Stafford

Post by Ron Stafford »

Hi all! I ran into Jerry Webb last night and he told me about this post so I thought I'd answer a few questions. The keyboard player on the videos is Chip Bricker from Texarkana. A super player and person! He has a great studio just this side of Texarkana and is currently touring with Gene Watson. In the picture from the show with Mike Siler my Nashville 400 is on it's side because the reverb springs were being rattled pretty bad by the kick drum. Usually placing the amp on it's side will help stop this. It's sitting on top of it's flight case. The pickups in my steels are 705's. Love 'em! In the Jerry Webb video I'm using a Nashville 112 amp. I use a Hilton volume pedal and no effects. Funny story-somebody asked Gary Carpenter one time what kind of effects I use and he said "Usually Miller Lite and occasionally a little Crown Royal!" Love that story!!
Thank you all so very much for your kind words and interest. It's greatly appreciated. I produced Jerry's last two cd's including this one, Blaine Gray's latest cd, just finished producing Kristi Kalyn's new cd and am in the middle of producing Steve Helms' new cd.
Hello Dick W. and David G! David, tell Angel hello for me and tell her she has a big fan here in Texas. Hello Mr. Hartley! How are things across the pond over there in "far East Texas"? I'm really looking forward to seeing all you guys again next March at the Dallas show.
Every one take care and Happy Holidays!!
Ron
2009 Rains Ultimate D10
2007 Rains Ultimate D10
1975 Sho-Bud Pro III Custom (retired) :-)
BJS bars
Steelseat.com seats
Ron Stafford

Post by Ron Stafford »

Oh, one more thing. I use a BJS bar, an amazing piece of equipment by my friend Bill Stroud! Hi Bill!! See you in Dallas!!
2009 Rains Ultimate D10
2007 Rains Ultimate D10
1975 Sho-Bud Pro III Custom (retired) :-)
BJS bars
Steelseat.com seats
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Ron,,that was some mighty fine Texas Swing music. Your playing sounded awesome, along with the rest of the band :whoa:

It was so interesting to know you used no effects, just pure steel, but with the talent you have, none is needed! :D
Thomas Ludwig

Post by Thomas Ludwig »

perfect band - great music - perfect band - great music - perfect band - great music - perfect band - great music - perfect band - great music - perfect band - great music .....
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Just wondering,,can someone tell me how Ron is making
the lick at 18.10 to 18.15. That is such a great run he does. Im trying to copy it ,but theres just somthing I cant find. I know its raising & lowering the Es against the 4 chord at the 3rd fret :(
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Man, this deserves a bump to the top. Just killer playing and arrangements all around. Ron's solo on "Whiskey River" is the bomb! This clip is in my Favorites.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Up to the top. :D
Bill
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Ron,

Great pickin' on that Rains!!!

Drew
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »