Richard Tipple

Rains Steel & killer Texas Swing!

Post by Richard Tipple »

Just thought I would share this with all you Texas Swing lovers as I am :D

Just listen to that Rains steel in the Jerry Webb band :whoa:
http://www.texascountyline.tv/s2e8.htm
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

All right, who the hell is that? Matter of fact, who is all of them?
Owen Barnes

Post by Owen Barnes »

Yea, I'd like to know who they are also, and where they hang their hat, because the steel player obviously just stole mine! :) Naw, I just recently bought the same guitar (D-10 Black) from Gary at Rains a week ago, but I knew it was sitting in my practice room. Great job on some classic Western Swing. Seriously, I need the name of that steel player and how to contact him. Thanks for the post. Made my new day! :D
Rains D-10 by Gary Carpenter
Marcel Parijs

Post by Marcel Parijs »

Rishard,

Thanks man. I sign for this music. Wow!

Marcel
Norm Kidwell

Texas Swin

Post by Norm Kidwell »

Here is the link to those shows for all that are interested. http://www.texascountyline.tv/shows.htm
tenstrings
Greg Wisecup

Post by Greg Wisecup »

THAT is what's up!!!!!!! Who's the steeler?
Derby SD-10 4&5 Black!(duh)/
Derby D-10/Steelers Choice/
Goodrich 120/ 2- Katana Boss 100's
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

That's Ron Stafford.

If you've never had a chance to listen to Ron Stafford then you're missing out on one hell of a great steel guitarist.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

Ya beat me to it,Dick! :D Ron's an old friend of mine,I'm proud to say. I used to have to try to fill his shoes in a few bands around Ft. Worth in the 70s & 80s. :eek: Can't be done! One of the things that amazes me about Ron is he plays that kind of swing stuff on a 10 string E9th neck.He's also a monster guitar player. BTW: Dick:did you used to work for Red Steagall & later for Wayne Newton? If so,we have an old mutual friend:Darrell Hicks. I think I met you when he & I worked for Jerry Max Lane.
Last edited by David Griffin on 28 Oct 2010 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Robertson

Great mix

Post by Michael Robertson »

Without question the musicianship is outstanding.
What caught my attention was the audio mix.
For a small stage and little separation between instruments it’s a struggle to get a decent mix.
I say KUDOS to the guy (whoops) person that pulled that off.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Hi David, never worked for either of them but I did work for a guy who could have passed for Red's Brother by the name of Tony Cash.

You and I met one night (late 80'S?) while you were working with some band at the Bronco club in Fort Worth. You were playing a Green Sho-bud if I remember correctly.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
David Hartley

Hi

Post by David Hartley »

Fantastic player.
That is the new black D-10 he collected and played in Dallas and at Pearls during 2009 TSGA weekend. He did mention he has a web site and I thought it was Ron Stafford Music. ? (but I can't find it at the moment). He is doing a lot of production / recording these days I think.. He kindly let me play for a couple on his new guitar that year as he wanted to hear what it was like out the front... He was with Mike Siler that night...

David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

Dick: I remember the Bronco Club! Can't tell you where it was anymore,but I remember it. Yes,I played an LDG from '77 until a couple of years ago when I got a Carpsteel & retired the 'Bud to the studio. Probably was the late 80s,I moved to Arkansas in'89.Good to hear from you again. Sorry,not meaning to hijack the thread. :)
Michael Robertson

Hat?

Post by Michael Robertson »

Alright David…. Where’s your hat?
You do know what State you were in right?
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Who is the fiddle player?
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Yea! The fiddle player is fantastic,,his unison playing with the steel player is awesome :whoa:
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

Michael: Still have my hat! And knowing me in those days,I was probably in the State of inebriation! 8)
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

The guy who played with Red Stegall and Wayne Newton was James Wood (perhaps Woods). He past away a year or so ago.
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

Danny: Thank you! You are absolutely right. Thanks for joggin' the old memory bank. I'm so sorry to hear of James' passing,he was one of the good guys.Dick,sorry about the mistaken identity,but we've met each other anyway,small world,huh? :)
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

I just checked this video out. That's my buddies Chad & Reggie Rueffer's on bass and fiddle. These dudes play Pearl's regularly. Reggie spends part of his time playing fiddle for Charlie Pride. These guys are a prime example of what we have here in Texas. Jake Hooker, Bobby Flores, Jody Nix, many more, and wantabe's like me.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Too late now but I have lived in the wrong state all my life. Texas is where it's at !! :eek:
Bill
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

I may be wrong, but I think the guys were just backing Mr. Webb that night and that they are kind of like the house band at Pearls. That even says more about them, to do that kind of job with someone they don't normally play with.
Rick Nicklas

Post by Rick Nicklas »

WoooooHoooooo..... what a great band and spectacular arrangements. That steeler is fantastic. I noticed in the picture above that he lays his amplifier on it's side when he plays. I will be trying that tomorrow to see if I can get a tone that great. :) I wish I lived closer so I could see them in person. Thanks so much for posting this website for all of us to enjoy.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

This is why I mover to Texas!!!, Played a job Sat night with Tommy Hooker. Jakes Dad, smiling from the first note to the last..Ron does a Great job!.. He had that Rains sounding GREAT, Funny thing Tommy told me , he said he turned off his radio off in the 60's, I have never found this kind of music no where but in TEXAS....I drove 275 miles to west Tx to do the gig, worth every mile...
:D :D :D
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Mike Kowalik wrote:Who is the fiddle player?
That's the one and only Reggie Reuffer on fiddle, and his brother Chad is playing bass.
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I remember the Bronco Club! Can't tell you where it was anymore,but I remember it.
Wow! hadn't thought about that place in a long time, it was up on NE 28th if it's the one I'm thinking about. I spent quite a few 'interesting' evenings in there.
Lost Pines Studio
"I'm nuts about bolts"