Sho~Bud Christmas Tree Amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Moore

Sho~Bud Christmas Tree Amp

Post by Larry Moore »

I have a old Christmas Tree Amp that has a M-31 JBL 8 ohm speaker in it.
How can I find out if it would hurt if replaced it with a D-130 JBL 4 ohm speaker

Larry
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

You ought to be OK, Larry. Impedance mismatch doesn't matter as much for solid-state amps.
Miss you, and love you.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

I don't know if the Xmas tree amp would like a 4 ohm speaker, usually solid state amps have a safe minimum load. Sometimes that's 8 ohms. If the factory put in 8 ohm speakers, it's likely that is the minimum speaker impedance the amp can safely tolerate without overheating and damaging the output transistors. That's my guess anyway..Jerry
Rex Wiseman

Post by Rex Wiseman »

I had a Sho-Bud "Christmas tree" that I bought from Larry Sasser - it had a D-130 JBL (8ohm) speaker. In a weak moment I soldit and I sure wish I had it back!
Roger Dillingham

Sho-Bud Christmas Tree Amp

Post by Roger Dillingham »

I agree with Jerry! For what it's worth, I had always held the view that the tube amps were generally more forgiving to an impedance mismatch due to the massive power output transformers that are present; whereas, the solid state amps don't have that same luxury of large transformers in the output stage. An impedance mismatch of lower impedance than what the transistors were designed to safely run at could result in them frying themselves if pushed too hard! A higher impedance value than what the amp was originally designed to see would probably not damage the amp at all, but would just limit the available wattage output; i.e. 200 watt rating @ 4 ohms would probably drop to arount 120 watts or so into a 8 ohm load. I'm certainly not an amp technician, but before I would do this of going into a lower impedance speaker under the assumption that everything would be OK, I would check with an amp guru like Ken Fox or someone of his caliber. Hope this helps! Good luck, Roger. :) :) :)
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

With tube amps less load is always better than more. Most all that have a speaker out jack use the shorting type so the output is never open,(infinite resistance). With SS amps you have to be careful how little load you feed the output. Most tolerate an open in the speaker load, (at least at idle).
Bob Farlow

Schematic

Post by Bob Farlow »

Does anyone have a schematic for this amp? If I had a schematic I could answer Larry's question. If this amp uses the old germaniun output transistors, I would almost bet it was designed for 8 ohm speakers. Back when this amp was built 4 ohm speakers were not very common.
Larry Robinson

Post by Larry Robinson »

The schematic shows the output transistor as 40636, which cross referenced 2N3055, si NPN.
Larry Moore

Post by Larry Moore »

So which speaker would work best?
would it indanger the D-130-4ohm?

M-31-8ohm
D-130-4ohm
Larry :?:
Larry Robinson

Post by Larry Robinson »

The schematic I saw shows the output transistor on your amp as a 2N3055. I don't believe it will harm the amp if you use the 4 ohm speaker. However, due to the impedance mismatch the transistor would run warmer.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Personally, I would leave the original JBL 8 ohm speaker in the amp. The amp was designed to have an 8 ohm load as far as I know, damage may result if you go with a lower impedance. You are dealing with a forty year old amp here...Jerry
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Hope this is legible:

Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps