Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Rickard

Post by John Rickard »

Mesa Electrodyne Head w/ Fuchs 212 Cab or Fender Super Reverbs. :mrgreen:
SLIDE IT ON OVER!
www.johnrickard.net
Larry Tracy

Post by Larry Tracy »

I liked the way Mark put it. The whole sacred steel style that Robert does and has expanded upon is based on single line leads that ride on top of vocals and music and had to cut thru a lot of volume. He is who he is doing what he loves to do wether you like it or not. All the great players with individual styles are like that. Gary, in the clip that Clete put up, it looks like he is playing thru a silver face twin and maybe a super reverb. Looks like another silver face twin a little to the right of the 2 amps.
Larry Tracy

Post by Larry Tracy »

Was writing my reply when you posted yours John. He has the fuches on stage too. John, you get to hear him play all the time. Was wondering if it has influenced your style at all?
Tim Heidner

Post by Tim Heidner »

I like that, singing lead guitar style on PSG. 8) I like the old style stuff too, it's all good to me.
John Rickard

Post by John Rickard »

Hey Larry, You can't help but to be influenced by Robert and his great band. I have played classic style steel and rocked out on it for years also. They are very inspiring. I have also had my fair share of "you're not supposed to play steel like that". ;-)

Rockin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE02DKb1x8s

Countryin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI63TVaugqQ
SLIDE IT ON OVER!
www.johnrickard.net
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

First, let me say that I think Robert Randolph is a thousand times the creative musician that I'll ever be. But every time I hear him play, I wonder whether or not I like the fact that he's not encumbered by playing every note in tune. It never bothered me when Hendrix played notes that were out of tune. e.g. The Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock would not have been as powerful if it was perfectly in tune. Duane Allman never struck me as anything but dead on in-tune when he played slide.

Maybe it's just me. The fact that I notice it, could say more about my hang up with wanting to hear steel guitar in-tune than with RR's performance. Anyone else having this reaction?
TC
Larry Tracy

Post by Larry Tracy »

Nice job John
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Zac Brown sounds better with R.R. :)
Barry Hyman

Post by Barry Hyman »

It doesn't bother me at all that Robert Randolph plays something other than traditional country on pedal steel -- I do that every day. Pedal steel is a musical instrument; traditional country is a musical style. They are not, and have never been, the same thing. Pedal steel can, and should, be used on every type of music. And it is true that the African-American roots of slide and steel guitar were there long before country guys picked up on it.

And RR is a great player and a great performer, and is probably the best-known pedal steel player in America today, which is definitely an accomplishment.

But my own personal taste is that there is a huge amount of blues-influenced distorted rock lead everywhere you go, whether you call it rock or metal or sacred steel, and I personally have been bored with that sound since the late sixties. I like it, I play it sometimes, and Robert plays it very, very well, but there are so many other musical sounds that I prefer to distorted screaming lead. Why do what everybody else does? Why play what everybody else plays, even if it is on an unusual instrument? I guess I'm getting old, but distortion and wah-wah and effects interest me less and less every day. Been there, done that. A real player should be able to make a string sing without any gadgets at all, right? (I'm sure Robert could do that easily -- I'm not implying that he can't.) It's just that the distorted blues-influenced screaming lead sound is way, way too common to get a rise out of me anymore, even when it is good. I greatly prefer a player who can get all that nuance and sustain with a clean tone.
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
Bobby Snell

Post by Bobby Snell »

Over at the Marshall forums, we like singing, "distorted" leads.

I don't see that many posts on the country threads denigrating traditional steel tones....why do I see so many negative posts on RR threads? What is the freaking point? There's more praise every week for some Joe Bag o'Donuts playing at the Little Town Opry. But, if I go to see Joe Bag o'Donuts play, and don't like his tone, or his shoes, I don't get on his thread and start sniping. Why is it ok on a RR thread?

Here we have a Forum Bro working for one of the most important steel guitarists of his generation. Maybe some of us would like some insight into RR's world. Maybe we could enjoy some dialogue. Maybe some of you should chill-ax and let these threads survive without your valuable opinions.

All in my most humble, etc. etc.
Dave Manion

Post by Dave Manion »

Slidehowyalike!
This example is not a pedal style per say, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it. If you heard (read as-"saw") these vocal-like lines being played on a Les Paul the "right way", perhaps by a different person, would you protest so much? I love the idea of ANY kind of fretless playing, but like RR, I enjoy the stability and sustain of the PSG. You guys seem to be doing more to hinder the progress or popularity of the steel by being so dang curmudgeonly. He plays what he feels, and where he comes from, and that's what's counts. How many here are comfortable enough in their own shoes to do that day in/ day out?
BTW I don't have any RR recordings, and personally can get goosebumps, or bored listening to him. Just depends on the performance, or song I guess. I still like Don Helms, Lloyd Green, Maness, Emmons, etc....but that's not the point. I know this thread is a rehash, but wanted to put my two cents in. Mostly, that I am continually surprised by how threatened you all are. Have at it.
Barry Hyman

Post by Barry Hyman »

I'm not "threatened." I was playing singing distorted leads before most of these rockers were born! And I don't have anything against Robert Randolph -- he's a fabulous player, as I said. All I was trying to say is that I personally have gotten tired of distortion and effects because that sound is so common on guitar that I'm usually bored even when I hear it on steel.

But I regret saying this in a thread about RR because it does seem many Forum members complain about him in particular and I didn't mean to do that; it's not how I feel, and if there is even a hint of racism in how some of you feel, I want absolutely no part of it! I didn't like it much when Buddy Emmons played with distortion and effects either! I would rather have bamboo slivers jammed under my fingernails than listen to pedal steel with heavy chorus!

I have no complaints with Robert Randolph and I think he deserves every bit of the fame he's gotten; more power to you brother. Sorry if it seems I piled on. I just wanted to point out that I don't really like rock and roll anymore, but I see now that that is an observation that belongs in a different thread. (And catch me in the right mood and I'll turn up the fuzz box with gusto. I just have come to prefer a clean sound most of the time, that's all.) Sorry, Robert!
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
Dave Manion

Post by Dave Manion »

I don't know why you think I was talking about you Barry, sorry if it sounded like I was disagreeing with you. Your post had nothing to do with my comment, infact it was very well put. It was directed at people who say, "that's just wrong!". We are preaching to the same choir. "to each his own" being the idea, right? Think of all the "wrong" things that are now "right". Where do you draw the line on what is "allowed"? I'm not defending him because I love his music (I find it interesting in small doses), but shooting everything down that isn't your EXACT idea of RIGHT is no way to be an open minded musician, and it only relegates us to being "historical examples" of what music was. I'm not super worked up about this, just rambling because I'm not very good at organizing my thoughts! Thanks everybody.

ps....95% of what I play is crystal clean myself. I do love how he sounds like a lead gospel singer. Take me to church Robert!
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

When I said "that aint right" in my first post here, I sincerely hope yall knew I was being satirical!
RR and the Family Band make me happy when I listen to the singing, whether its words or tonebar.
PS he does play clean once in a while too.
Listen to his dobro work on Smile from his Unclassified album for example.

Clete
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Barry Hyman wrote: Pedal steel is a musical instrument; traditional country is a musical style. They are not, and have never been, the same thing.
Right on Barry.
Pedal steel can, and should, be used on every type of music.
Well, I'm not sure it can be used on EVERY genre, but it not only can be used on more than just country, it finally IS being used by people working in other fields. Again I cite the recent PBS concert of Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders, with Eric Heywood on steel, Jim Webb's appearance on Letterman, Joan Baez bringing a steel player with her when she did her concert with the Boston Pops orchestra, Van Morrison using either Sarah Jory or Cindy Cashdollar in his bands, Neil Young's work with the late Ben Keith etc. Even Mike Nesmith playing steel with the Monkees after they took control of their music.

The pedal steel guitar is finally starting to shed it's "hillbilly" image and become accepted by the rest of the world outside of the country music community. I fail to understand how anybody can not see this as a step forward for our instrument.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Marc Mercer

Post by Marc Mercer »

T. C. Furlong wrote:Duane Allman never struck me as anything but dead on in-tune when he played slide.
You have heard 'Layla', haven't you? :?

I'm no fan of skydog OR Randolph, but I know what you mean; give me precision any day.