Wynn Stewart

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Clyde Mattocks

Wynn Stewart

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Too good an artist keep down! His resurgence as the track in the national VW Jetta ads will jog some memories and turn a few new ears. Just pulling up his stuff like the original version of "Playboy", Wishful Thinking" and "Big, Big Love" reminds us what great gifts he had to offer the music. While Buck and Merle got most of the Bakersfield sound limelight, Wynn was no less a talent. Combined with Moon, he still raises the goosebumps. A Hall of Fame
candidate if there ever was one.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I agree Clyde. I only discovered him lately. Fantastic country singer with great steel guitar on his recordings. Love his style. His daughter offers a complete box set of his recordings. Think I'm gonna a go for it.
Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

Acouple of nights ago, during a weekly detective show on tv, a Wynn Stewart song was being played during a bar scene. Boy was I surprised.
Bill Fisher

Post by Bill Fisher »

Maybe so. But first, we need the Wilburn Brothers in the Hall of Fame. They should have been there many years ago.

Bill
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I agree Bill, no particular order of induction, just that so many deserving artists are going to get passed over because the powers that be now have no idea of the influence some of these guys and girls had on the music.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Owen Barnes

Post by Owen Barnes »

I used to see Wynn Stewart in the late 60's when I was only 17/18, doing his thing at Panther Hall Ballroom in Fort Worth, Texas (Bill Mack hosting). Even though I was into R&R at that time, I still was very impressed with his musical talent. Probably one of the reasons I've been in Country music for many years now. :)
Butch Foster

Post by Butch Foster »

I really like Wynn's music!