Most recent insulting / embarassing remark from the audience

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Spitz

Most recent insulting / embarassing remark from the audience

Post by Steve Spitz »

Where do I start? So many moments....

This weekend at some gig a guy comes up and suggests I could use my steel as a walker. "It`s just the right size! or you could make a walker that looks like your steel!" He wasn`t kidding.

I`m 52 years old. Must be hard city miles.

absolutely not the most insulting/embarassing moment,(not enuff band width for all of them), just the most recent.
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Do you have any pictures available? I'm 73 and I sure could use some ideas for myself!
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

"Wow, you're Jim Cohen? I really love your music! I bought your CD for a dollar at a yard sale!"
(True story... :roll: )
Last edited by Jim Cohen on 13 Oct 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Gorman

Post by Steve Gorman »

Once a fellow came up to me and said, "Wow, you have really improved since last time I heard you."

Talk about a left handed compliment...
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Steve, That's better than [Hey man you suck since the last time I heard you.] :D YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Joshua Grange

Post by Joshua Grange »

'Your sound greats!"
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

"can you play some songs that I know " ?
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Rick Batey

Post by Rick Batey »

Overheard from a deranged-looking woman concerning our solo support act:

"Wow, he's a great guitar player! Even better than me! And I don't even play guitar."
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

"Hey you roadies, let us know when the band gets here, okay?"
Last edited by Ned McIntosh on 14 Oct 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Diego Sciocchetti

Post by Diego Sciocchetti »

wow! u're great! never seen anyone playing a "sewing machine"!
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

"Didn't you used to be Ken Byng?"

Yep - had that twice now. We all have two lives, one young and one old. Nobody remembers the in between bit. :D
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
John Lemieux

Post by John Lemieux »

Ned you get first prize
music is the spice of life
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

My band was playing at a local bar, and every time I took a solo on my lap steel, this one table full of college kids would just go wild with applause. When we took a break, one of them comes up to me and says "We LOVE your steel guitar playing! It's so corny!"

Other than that, I hate it when someone yells "Play one more!".....after the first song.
Last edited by John Rosett on 14 Oct 2010 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

"Hey can't you guys play something we know" ---Reply "if you had bought our cd you would know them".
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

"Why do you guys wear those stupid cowboy hats?" (from a highly attractive female singer who was working the downstairs bar at Toronto's old Orchard Park Tavern while we were playing upstairs in what was called the "National Velvet Room").

She may also have asked me (memory is a bit hazy - might have been her drummer who asked me) whether I ever played with "good bands", but since she also tried to hire me for a gig I took that as a compliment to me if not the band I was working with. I do remember thinking that her band stunk.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

Ken Byng wrote:"Didn't you used to be Ken Byng?"

Yep - had that twice now. We all have two lives, one young and one old. Nobody remembers the in between bit. :D
Ken, I feel what you're saying for sure ... I laid off of steel for nearly ten years and have just gotten back into it in the last year. I've heard people can change over the years, but what happened at a gig a couple of months back made me laugh out loud ... an older guy came up to me and said, "Don't know if you've ever heard of him but there was this guy, Jim Lindsey, who played steel with Ty Herndon some years ago. I went to all their gigs and watched him play that steel all the time. Every now and then you play something that sounds just a little bit like something he'd play." :lol:
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Steve Benson

Oh Boy

Post by Steve Benson »

Oh Boy, this could be a real can of worms.
Well besides lap and PSG I bring 8 and 4 string mandolins. After 4 years of touring + 10 yrs of local gigs. I get things like "hey guy love the baby guitar." Or the ladies say stuff like "Love the tiny guitar it's so cute, did you buy it at a toy store?"
This will tend to go on until I put the overdrive on, shred and melt faces. I don't mind. I do it to myself forcing mandolins and steel on folks who thought they were going to a rock show. Another backsided comment I get is "wow don't like the music or the band but you are really good" This will often happen while the band is right next to me. (i'm often a hired gun, that does not help me get work at all) I remember one show where I could hear 3 or 4 very loud boston jock types (redsox hats etc..) saying they thought my "country slide guitar" was for stupid rednecks or something like that. Yes I'm a yankee, but a steel player and lover of country and the south and west. So I told the songwriter to get out of the way blasted these guys with a massive ac/ac/sacred steel style solo. They came up to me after the set and said "that was the biggest dirtest sound we've ever heard in a club this small. You rock!" I like to turn negitive into positive. Overdrive can help sometimes.
Carter-Magnum S10. Georgeboards S-8 Stealth. Chandler Lap. Peavey Powerslide. Bunch of mandolins. Sitar. Oud. All that and a bag of chips.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Speaking of a walker, here's one with a lapsteel on it........

Other quotes. "You really don't play as bad as everyone says"

"How long have you been in country music, yes or no?"

"He went to Nashville with dreams of becoming a big star, he had everything it took! The only things holding him back was his picking and singing!"

........................JH in Va..............
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I walked into my local VFW last Sunday while a terrible band was trying to play and I asked the bartender if they were going to have live music today? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I was playing a guitar gig with my little ZT amp last week and some knucklehead yelled out that looks more like a space heater than an amp...I said ask yer Mom she gave it to me last night. :whoa:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

"How long have you been playing, roughly?"

:oops: :whoa: :(
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

"Play that one that all of you know"
Mike Archer

heres one

Post by Mike Archer »

I ask a friend of mine the other day if he had heard our bands last cd

he said he..l I hope so :lol:

was funny at the time hehehe Mike
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

"Play something good." (like I haven't been?)
My brother got that request so much he wrote a song called "Something Good".
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

I think the B side of "Something Good" was.....
"Far,Far,Away" :lol: