Maverick? Yes or No?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Perry

Maverick? Yes or No?

Post by Steve Perry »

I've come across a steel for sale locally. I'm new to the pedal steel world but have done some research in expectation of buying my first steel and have some idea of what I'm looking at. I was told that the guitar was a Sho Bud professional model. After looking at the pictures I'm thinking it's probably a Maverick. I'm going to try to post some pictures and hopefully someone can tell me for sure what I'm looking at.

Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

Yes, it's a Maverick.
Steve Perry

Post by Steve Perry »

Thanks Bob for confirming my suspicions. The polished endplates were what was throwing me off.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

If you are looking for a beginner's steel, I would hold off for something more than a Maverick. They are very limited on changes (can only raise or lower a string but not both).

My wife recently started learning Steel and we had a borrowed Maverick (older model without roller nut) and I couldn't get it to stay in tune, probably due to not having the roller nut. The owner of the Maverick had changed the knee lever to lower both 4th and 8th strings and in doing that it took the 4th string raise from the "C" pedal and in effect it was no longer useable. Just the "A" and "B" pedals and the knee lever to lower both E strings.

We bought a used (like new) GFI Expo S-10 and it is working great. I took it to our last Steel Guitar Club jam and played it and it worked great. The GFI has 3 floor pedals and 4 knee levers and coincidentally the 4 knee levers are identical to the 4 on my Franklin except I raise one additional string on the RKR (and also have the LKV).
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i'll go along w: Jack
considering that the Mav was ok 40 years ago - it's out of time by today's standards
a beginners steel nowadays has 3 to 4 levers
a good used pro model has 4 to 5 levers
you'll have to save up a bit more Stephen in order to get a modern day steel but you won't regret it
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

on the other hand, i set up a maverick for my friend the other day (someone as often happens had screwed it all up) and decided they are kind of cool and useable for beginners. as long as you get one for $200-300.....
Steve Perry

Post by Steve Perry »

Thanks, guys. The only reason I looked seriously at it was the wording of the add made it sound like it might be something more than a Maverick. If it had turned out to be a better Sho Bud model, then the $300 asking price seemed like it might be worth a gamble. No matter now, as the add had been deleted and I assume the steel was sold. My ultimate goal is a Stage One and as soon as I sell a few more things, I'll get one. Thanks for all the help.
Jay Yuskaitis

Maverick?

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Why not start at the beginning as most of us have all done. My first pedal guitar had 2 floor pedals with no knees. It was something great back then. Was surprised with what was done with just 2. How I remember the folks that had umteen pedals and levers. That made them look like they knew what they were doing. A guy with 8 pedals and 8 knees must surely know what he is doing. Today, not much has changed! Jay Y.
CrowBear Schmitt

My ultimate goal is a Stage One
now that's more like it Stephen ;-)
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Why not start at the beginning as most of us have all done. My first pedal guitar had 2 floor pedals with no knees. It was something great back then. Was surprised with what was done with just 2
Years ago that was true. This is 2010 and the modern day "beginner"/entry level models have more knee levers and versitality. Today, a lot of the instruction material requires all three floor pedals and more than just one knee lever. Someone with a guitar such as the Maverick is limited to start with (the stock Maverick setup does not lower the 4th E string). As they progress with some "beginner" steels they are forced to buy another guitar or they are stuck.

I'm going through the learning process again, teaching my wife. Some of the instruction books use the three floor pedals, and three knee levers (raise E's, lower E's and lower 2nd string).
Joe Cook

Post by Joe Cook »

Jack Stoner wrote:
As they progress with some "beginner" steels they are forced to buy another guitar or they are stuck.
Jack, you are right on. I have a MSA Red Baron (which I like). It has 3 and 1 knee lever. The instructional material I have been using often requires more knee levers. After about 2 months, I've outgrown this guitar. Fortunately, I was able to trade a nice guitar I had for a fine MSA Classic XL D10. What a difference! If you're sure you want to play, get a steel you won't outgrow quickly.
Bill Rode

Post by Bill Rode »

Let me chime in just a bit if I may.

I am new to the PSG myself and my first was and still is a used Maverick that I purchased from one of the fellow forum members here. It has 3p and 1k and I have to say that even though it's old and outdated in many ways it is alot less to have to learn just starting out, at least for me. (maybe I'm just slow) I am learning all the basics and having sooooo much fun doing so with my Maverick. I have picked up an older double neck steel to restore and having fun with that as well. As I get better I will definitely be acquiring a "modern" steel and then learn the extra knees and pedals with a firm foundation under my belt.

For me this works, others it might not, the best advice someone here gave me was to play what your comfortable with and learn and advance as you go. If the price is right on an "older" steel by all means go for it. If you like PSG and stick with it then you can always buy better for more and have a cheap backup on hand if you ever need one. If you try and find PSG isn't your thing then you have a small amount invested and can usually get your $ back.

Anyway....... my 2 cents worth.
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Well, OK.......

Given a choice between a maverick and an Emmons student model would you hold the same opinion?

As for myself, if I walked into a store and saw a Maverick for a few hundred $$ I'd let it sit. If I saw an Emmons student model at the same price I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
CrowBear Schmitt

Given a choice between a maverick and an Emmons student model would you hold the same opinion?
absolutely !
i pass on 'em & go for contemporary models (student models that is)
now refurbished Sho~Bud, ZB, Emmons pro models are another story...
Luke Morell

Post by Luke Morell »

That's where I got my start,was on a Maverick..
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

$500 for a Maverick is about max value (but only if it's 3+1; many didn't have the knee lever.) $700 for a clean, well set-up student Emmons could be reasonable. I have had more than one of each of these.
"Gopher, Everett?"
Steve Perry

Post by Steve Perry »

My plan is to progress backwards! :D Learn on a modern 3+4 steel THEN go back to an old Fender 400. I love the sound of those things.
Bill Rode

Post by Bill Rode »

Well the difference between a Maverick and a student Emmons is night and day if I've done my homework correctly. Two completely different animals in sound AND construction. For the same price I'd buy the Emmons too, good luck finding one at that price though.