6th String on e9th

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Foreman

6th String on e9th

Post by Roger Foreman »

If you lower the 6th string G#, what do you lower it to and what hz do you tune it to.
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

Some folks lower to G for an open position minor, and, combined with pedal A down, the IV Dom7th. Some lower to F# which has a lot of possibilities adding the 9th open, and with pedals down can be split with the B pedal to get the G for the IV Dom7th. In the open position, lowering G# to F# and using the lever that lowers your Es gives you a V chord.... etc.

How and if you decide to temper the tuning depends on what you are doing with the rest of your tuning approach on your particular guitar.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I lower it to G and I tune it a notch sharp of where I tune the E's.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

I lower it to F#. I tune it by ear as close as I can to the 7th string open. Nice change, although I don't know much about it. It is a great 'lick change' as I call it.
Roger Foreman

Post by Roger Foreman »

Thanks guys for the info. What a great place to hang out and learn.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I lower the 6th string to F#, and have for almost my whole career. I tune it the same as string 7. This is not just a "lick" lever. The chord that you get when you use the lever with the lever that lowers your E's to D# is very useful. If you have your A&B pedals activated and play the 12th fret (strings 4,5,6,8,and 10) you have an A chord, and when you slide back 2 frets (fret 10) and let off the A&B pedals, activate the 2 levers, you end up with an A chord also. Letting off the lever gives you the 6th tone, press the B pedal and you get the flatted 7th tone. Lots of nice melody (and chord) movements in all that string movement.

If I was forced to have only 3 knee levers, it would be the 2 that raise and lower the E's, and the 6th string lower to F#. I could do without the second string lowers more than this one(and I don't like them on the same lever like some do).
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Roger Foreman

Post by Roger Foreman »

Thanks Richard, good stuff .
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

If you're going to Lower #6 from (G#) to (F#) on a KL, you should also have a split/tuner-rod or the split/tuner set-screw behind the changer to get full and accurate use of the change. It's a very useful change that I wouldn't want to be without!
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Richard S. Thanks for that great piece of info! I called it a lick lever, but after learning this, I realize of course that it is much more.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Bent, thanks. It is also a great lick pedal too. :D
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.