Gospel Show at ISGC St. Louis 2010

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

Zane King

Gospel Show at ISGC St. Louis 2010

Post by Zane King »

Let me be one of the first to thanks to Doug Rolfe for putting together the Gospel room together this year. I'm sure this was the start of something that will be something that will be around a long time at the convention. Simply great!
Zane King
Email: zaneking@me.com
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Zane, I agree. I certainly enjoyed being a part of it. The feeling in that room was great. I love to be with people who love Gospel music. I sure hope this becomes an annual event at the St. Louis Convention. It was good to get to see and visit with you again. It had been a very long time. I also enjoyed meeting and talking with your Dad.
Jerry
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Are we going to get to see some pictures of the gospel show group?
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Hopefully, Doug has some to add here. I hate to get to naming names because I always leave someone out but Albert S. (however, you spell is last name) is just a sweetheart of a guy! What a genuine spirit he has and a super player. The backup band was just perfect. If I get to return next year and we have the Gospel show I want to bring my piano and sit in. Honestly, piano is my first instrument but few people in the steel community realize that. :))

Mike Sigler blew me away! His playing is tops but his testimony....well, let's just say that I now want to hear the full version. Jerry and his grandson Austin got us off to a smooth start with those awesome sounding Mullen G2 guitars. WOW! Austin is one of those rare talents. Reminds me of my buddy Steve Palousek. Just simply born to play and a great kid too! Just need to encourage him to open up to us and chat with us more on stage. :D

Russ Hicks - I'm a new fan. I've heard of this guy for many years and I knew he was great. His playing reminds me of someone with the perfect putting stroke in golf. Just smooth, soft, consistent. His speed on the E9 and innovative approach is amazing. How I would love to hear what he could with my tuning setup. Doesn't hurt to make a wish once in while. :)

Jerry Roller - I should have known more about this guy since he is from Arkansas. Very accomplished player!

Then there was Kurt and Leonard. All I can say is you had to be there. I'm just humbled by how God so clearly works through His vessels. There was also some great singing too!

I know I've left out some details but hopefully this helps a bit and perhaps some others who were there can report some other elements of the program.
Zane King
Marvin Born

Pictures of Kurt playing his GFI and using the Telonics Hat

Post by Marvin Born »

This is the first time Kurt played his GFI which was designed and specially built by Gene Fields for Kurt.

The volume control was via a sensor on his hat that controlled a Telonics volume pedal. He changed the volume level by tilting his head. Dave Beaty is responsible for the design of this system.

The hat sensor is an option to the pedal and is a current product available from Telonics. The remaining audio equipment was a Telonics Field Test rack.

Kurt's performance left many in the audience in tears.
Last edited by Marvin Born on 6 Sep 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marvin Born

Picture of Albert Svenddal

Post by Marvin Born »

Albert Svenddal's Zum U12 was previously owned by Kurt Kowalsk. Albert sounded so good and he plays with such energy.

Dana Stewart

Post by Dana Stewart »

We would like to sat thank you to Doug for letting us be a part of the gospel show. He did a great job and the crowd seemed to enjoy it. Hopefully this will be the beginning of many more.

Zane, thanks for your kind words about Austin. He has a couple of your cds and has been a fan of yours, since I told him about you. I remember seeing you playing in St. Louis when I was a little girl. You are a great player. Loved getting to visit with your mom.

Dana Stewart (aka Austin's Mom)
Kurt Kowalski

Post by Kurt Kowalski »

All I can say is THANK YOU TO YOU ALL!!! And God Bless you All!!!

I certainly did not play up to par, as this was honestly the first time I touched this guitar... and ooohhhh the possibilities. Thank you to Gene Fields for working so hard on my new guitar and getting me "pushing pedals" (with my hand of course) again. Thank you to my Dear friend Jim Palenscar for providing me the Telonics Pedal and Sensor. To Doug and Stevie Rolfe for being my friend and for having LT Zinn and I on the Gospel portion.

Most of all to my Lord for my many many blessings and deeper understanding. To my Love Gerilyn for putting up with me. And to my sound crew pals and family.

I am still in tears from this experience.

You all ROCK!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!
Kurt

ALSO: Please you all - Pray for my friend Terry Bethel who was in a serious accident on his way home from St. Louis.
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Dana - so glad to have you all a part of the steel community. I want to invite Austin next year to participate in one of Gospel Music's largest shows in Louisville, KY. You probably have heard of the National Quartet Convention. It's getting ready to happen next week. I produce many of the programs there. We'll talk again about this but begin to think about it for next year.

Kurt, Dan Burnham just gave me his arm levers that he had on his guitar. I'm installing them on a new guitar for myself. I find them to work great so I think you'll advance well with those. Gene Fields is an amazing man! I hope he goes in the SG Hall of Fame soon.

PLEASE inform us more about Terry Bethel.
Zane King
Dana Stewart

Post by Dana Stewart »

Thanks Zane. That sounds interesting. We will look forward to hearing the details.

Dana
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

I thought the Gospel Show was a success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the invite. Thanks to Doug and Stevie.

Zane, Thanks for the kinds words about Austin. Jerry and I are so proud of him. Also about Terry Bethel, I understand that he cracked his 12 vertebra in his back. They are putting him in a body cast I think. If you go under extended family you may get more on him. I sure hope he does okay. He has been a big help to Austin.

Donna
Dana Stewart

Post by Dana Stewart »

Sorry, didn't see the part about Terry. He is in a lot of pain but should be fine. He has a compressed fracture in his 12th vertebrae. I understood that they are putting him in a brace, not a body cast. The main thing is to pray that he is not in so much pain.
Albert Svenddal

Post by Albert Svenddal »

Zane, thanks for the kind words. I also had a great time at the Gospel Show in St. Louis this year.

I did not know that you played piano. We MUST have you for the Staff band at the next show. Looking forward to that. By the way, I heard some great comments from some other players about your playing on the main stage,they said you blew them away. And you sured knocked it out of the ball park on the Gospel Show.

I also enjoyed Jerry Roller and Austin, but the highlight for me was Kurt K. and Leonard T. Zinn. Wow, what emotion. Also Mike Sigler, what a player and a powerful testimony.

Doug Rolfe put on a great show.

Also, Thanks Marvin for the photo.

Blessings, Albert
Williams D-12 9x7, Emmons PP D-10, 8X5, Quilter SteeAire amp.
Del Bonn

Gospel Show at ISGC

Post by Del Bonn »

Inspirational Show!

Austin Stewart and Jerry Newberry:

Mike Sigler and (?)Great Drummer

Don Lampley

Post by Don Lampley »

That drummer is Mark Fitch I play with him all the time and he is a great drummer as well as a good guy.
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

Thanks for the picture Del.

Donna
Marvin Born

Post by Marvin Born »

Bumped to top for David Please read this thread