I'm looking for some suggestions

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Justin Jacobson

I'm looking for some suggestions

Post by Justin Jacobson »

So I am starting to hit a roadblock creatively. I am a songwriter first and foremost, guitar (six String) is my main instrument. I play many many others but Pedal steel is my favorite sound out of all musical instruments. I am currently playing pedal steel in a slow folk/indie band ala Songs:Ohia or Bonnie Prince Billy, as well as writing half the songs. But I can't seem to find new sounds.

Now from what I've been reading here there are probably not that many that delve outside the country but that's what I'm looking for. My favorite steel of all time is Dan Trynak on Earth: Hex or the Printing of the Infernal Method. The haunting, atmospheric, yearning sound. Where should I look for more of that, anywhere country or jazz, or metal. I don't want flash, or lick driven stuff. I want atmosphere.

Any Suggestions.
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBhsOin8m8M
This is some music that I recorded a while back. I like doing stuff like this
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

You might also check out Greg Leisz as he seems to come up with the right notes at the right times- regardless of the setting.
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ceCh4OuW_o
And here is one more I did. Just goes to show that the pedal steel is not just for country LOL
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKnngyCIctA Check this out A W is out of the box.
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

Elton Smith wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKnngyCIctA Check this out A W is out of the box.
This guy is way cool. What a nice touch.
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Post by Dr. Hugh Jeffreys »

I've been accused of "creating a new mold," not being a NORMAL steel player,etc., but I like being different. www.steelguitarbyhughjeffreys.com
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Daniel Lanois.
Rick Batey

Post by Rick Batey »

Couple more ideas...

Bruce Kaphan with American Music Club. Try the California and Everclear LPs.
Eg: Blue And Grey Shirt...

Eric Heywood. Son Volt, Ray LaMontagne, Peter Bruntell's Normal For Bridgwater. Seen here (lo fi) with Jeffery Foucault on Northbound 35...
Last edited by Rick Batey on 30 Aug 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Miller

Post by Al Miller »

Bobby Black's "Philadelphia Freedom" album has a whole lot of color on it . its an old school lesson of outside the box in its self , also anything Tom Brumley with Rick Nelson is as good as it gets. 8)
AL (BOO) Miller
Mullen D10
76 Emmons P/P
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10
Justin Jacobson

Post by Justin Jacobson »

Thanks for the great suggestions. They've all been great. I really enjoyed the stuff you put up Joe.

I've always been a big American Music Club fan, and I've been enjoying Ray LaMontagne for a few years now. And Son Volt have been a favorite for a long time, I like them much more than Wilco, though not as much as Uncle Tupelo. I have listened to some of Daniel Lanois steel guitar stuff on youtube and like what I hear. And the Videos of Bill Frisell and Greg Leisz were great.

I'll get on checking out that Bobby Black album and try to find some of Hughs music. But thanks for the suggestions, It's certainly opening my world a bit more. Just what I needed.
Dave Magram

Post by Dave Magram »

Al, I believe that you are thinking of Bobby Black's "California Freedom", available from the SG Forum.

-Dave