I can honestly say

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brandon Wright

I can honestly say

Post by Brandon Wright »

that getting and learning to play pedal steel is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I get the kind of high from playing that is truly good for my soul.

I played live on the pedal steel for the first time last night and it was so fun. Everybody was giving me compliments. Even know in my opinion I'm not good yet. But I'm just happy that people appreciated it.

Pedal steel is a great instrument. I can remember back when i used to put it on a high horse it was so intimidating. I still have a wide river to cross though. But I'm starting to break in this old horse. Or at least I'd like to think. hahah
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Right on Brandon! 8)

These clankin' string-a-ma-thingy's will take you as deep musically as you want to go with 'em.

I understand your sentiments. The ability to make a sound so big and full is truly lifechanging.

Thanks for starting this thread and showing your enthusiasm. :)
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Cool 8)
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

To Late to run now!! 8)
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
Don Hinkle

Post by Don Hinkle »

I couldnt agree with you more Brandon -
This week marks 1 year behind the seat of the Pedal steel for me even though I have played lead guitar for 25 years.
I only wish that I would have started 5 years ago (ok, 10.. ok 20.. ok 25 years!)

I love this instrument!
Emmons Legrande III SD10
Emmons Legrande III D10
Session 400
Fender guitars
Fender amps
Loren Depping

Post by Loren Depping »

Couldn't agree with you all more. I've never had so much fun playing music as I have since beginning on PSG. I'm really grateful to folks here on the Forum for your non-stop encouragement and advice. Like Brandon said, there's a loooooong way to go yet, but I couldn't have gotten half this far without these threads and other players' help (especially that of my teacher and friend, Larry Behm). Thanks.
Bobby D. Jones

I can honestly say

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Welcome Brandon to the world of steel. I have been playing at it since Jan. 2000. Compliments are great but. I played a Home Coming Saturday. This lady requested FADED LOVE, As I played she rubbed her hands together, rubbed her eyes, moved around on her chair, When our set was over she came up and thanked me. Her hand shook as she reached out to shake hands. Her Eyes looked wet. With that song "BABY" and I had taken her back to sometime or person in her past which meant something very special to her. That ladies actions meant the steel and I had touched someplace deep. That ment more to me than any compliment I have ever gotten. GOOD LUCK, HAPPY STEELIN
Thomas Ludwig

Post by Thomas Ludwig »

I'm with you Brandon. I started PSG in January and first gig in June. Playing the steel guitar is so much fun and joy.

Thomas
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Yeah, it started for me Christmas morning when I was 14 and hasn't let up since!
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Joe Cook

Post by Joe Cook »

It's great to see others who feel like I do. I can't get enough of the sound and when I get a new lick it's like I can't believe I'm making THAT sound. I've been playing guitar, bass, accordion in bands since I was 15 but I've always wanted to play pedal steel. I'm 50 now and I feel like a complete beginner but I love it. Hope I get brave enough like you Brandon to play out live soon.
Tim Heidner

Post by Tim Heidner »

Joe Cook, where you at on Whidbey Island? I lived in Oak Harbor last year, I'm up in Ferndale WA now.

I just switched over to pedal steel about 8 months ago, I think I got the beginnings of carpal tunnel in my left hand and 6 string electric was starting to make my hand hurt. I love it, but it sure is a challenge. Kinda sucks to be a beginner again after almost 40 years on regular guitar.
Joe Cook

Post by Joe Cook »

Hey Tim, sent you a PM.
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

Agreed !! I love practicing, learning new stuff, and especially playing in a band with other musicians. It feeds my soul :mrgreen:
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Ray Leroux

Post by Ray Leroux »

Yep now your sitting firmly in the saddle of the finest horse you'll ever ride. RAY
Brandon Wright

well heck

Post by Brandon Wright »

I'm glad to hear that Bobby D. Moving people and their soul is what it's all about. That's the kind of stuff that lets you know that your right here, right now...doing what your suppose to be doing in this exact moment in time. It's a confirmation and a great feeling.