Do you use an overdrive pedal? If so which one?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dom Franco

Do you use an overdrive pedal? If so which one?

Post by Dom Franco »

I have recently used a Boss Blues Driver, with my lap steel for a few songs that needed that edge. It was just okay...

I also use a danelectro "Pastrami Overdrive" that I have in a little pedal board at church. It's pretty good and so cute!

On my main pedal board that I take on solo gigs, I have the Route 808 pedal that is my favorite overdrive so far. Lots of tone options.

And I just recently won an ebay auction for a boss super overdrive 1. I can't wait to check it out.

I play a lot of different styles, Country, Hawaiian, Jazz, Blues, Gospel. An it is nice to have the option to change the sound of my steel to fit the style. Especially when I play solo gigs and I am the only guy taking the leads...
:mrgreen: Dom
Benjamin Franz

Post by Benjamin Franz »

I'm keen to hear what people use, too. I use a danelectro overdrive, purely because someone gave it to me. It's ok, but I'm sure there's something better out there. I've been thinking of getting a new overdrive or fuzz box, but the choice out there is completely overwhelming, and considering I use fuzz so sparingly, I don't have the inclination to lug my steel to a guitar store and try out different pedals. So, any recommendations? I'd give my left arm to get Sneaky Pete's fuzz tone, though I know he used a circuit of his own desgin.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I switch between a Nobels ODR-1 overdrive pedal and a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive pedal. I like the Nobels quite a bit when played through my Fender Pro Junior. I switch depending on which amp I'm using.

I think the gold standard in overdrive pedals seems to be the Ibanez Tube Screamer. The Boss SD-1 is their version of it, from what I understand.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

For lap steel I usually use the Cmatmods Super SignaDrive, it's the most dynamic and touch sensitive overdrive I've ever used. For the more heavy stuff I use their Black Plague pedal (basically built over a ProCo Rat distortion, but with more options).
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

The Zendrive is my current fave. I also like the Marshall Bluesbreaker and the Box of Rock. Amplike overdrives.
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

I second the motion on the Zendrive.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

I've got a small collection of OD pedals, many of them self-built, I use them mostly with my Telecaster, but here are some I like with lap steel:

Barber LTD - the BEST low-gain overdrive pedal EVER - nothing, and I mean NOTHING comes close when trying to simulate an amp on the edge of break-up, particularly with single coil pickups on your guitar; great for adding just a little bit of dirt to you lap steel tone, as if you were playing one of those tiny old tube amps.

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine - very juicy, full (but not muddy), slightly compressed mid-gain OD sounds, great for "singing" solo sounds.

Nobels ODR1 (I actually use a self-built clone) - best for twangy low/mid-gain OD sounds, with lots of bite, very "in-your-face" without being buzzy/harsh.
Tom Wolverton

Sdtt

Post by Tom Wolverton »

On the bandstand - Semour Duncan Twin Tube Classic, I use it with my 6-string lap steels: a Supro and a no-name (with Jason Lollar Chicago PU). Been very happy with it.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sometimes I use an old Boss OD-1 Overdrive. Most of the time, if I'm using one at all, it's the original Sansamp. It's very flexible and sounds better at stage levels than bedroom levels.
Last edited by Fred on 11 Aug 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse Adams

Post by Jesse Adams »

I personally like to use my homebrew overdrive that I call "the back seat driver" I'm usually frustrated with the lack of transparency in most of the overdrives I've played.
What's that weird twangy slide thingy?
Kelvin Monaghan

Post by Kelvin Monaghan »

I second the Barber LTD very transparent and Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive 2 separate channels of very smooth distortion/overdrive.Kelvin
Eddie Jaudouin

Post by Eddie Jaudouin »

Hello,

Don't forget "TheTube Screamer" Ibanez, (one of the best pedal) !

I use an old one since many years...

Eddie "PYS".:D :mrgreen: :D
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

My friend has a Fulltone OCD overdrive, probably the most responsive and natural sounding solid state OD pedal I've played thru.

In my normal rig, I run thru a Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor OD/dist pedal (tube overdrive, plus a distortion channel). I'd recommend it, but I believe it is no longer available. If I were to purchase a new OD pedal, I'd definitely go with the OCD.
***WARNING: the above commentary is probably Chris' OPINION, and therefore, he thinks he's right.
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

Timmy for me -- sounds like an amp, great tone controls. I was using a MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe, but I found that the TS-9 type sound doesn't work for the sound I want (although the BBD is an incredibly versatile TS-9).
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

I've two pedals on my board for overdrive/distortion, an old MXR and an OCD. I only use the MXR Distortion + for steel, set on full volume/no drive for just a bit of fuzz. The Fulltone OCD is just as good IMO, but I use it for drive/boost for guitar solo mostly.

Clete
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

I really like the Fulltone Distortion Pro. The Resonance and Voice knobs make it very flexible.
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

I feel kinda awkward saying it... but I have an effect processor board by VOX. It uses a tube and digital modeling. It sounds very, very good, warm (when you need it to) and has numerous overdrive/amp modeling options. VOX still makes these and they get good reviews. I have no complaints. It gets the job done as well as any boutique pedal I've ever used.
If Music Be the Food of Love, Play On. -Shakespeare

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

BYOC Overdrive 2. Great, variable overdrive pedal with a MOSFET boost button too.
Adam Gejdos

Post by Adam Gejdos »

I use a Visual Sound Route 66. It's the one with 2 effects in one: an excellent TS-8 style distortion plus a pretty useful compressor. The nice thing is there's a switch for both effects so you can choose either or both with a single foot stomp.
James Turner

Post by James Turner »

I run my Ricki 6-string through a Boss 59 Bassman pedal into an Epiphone Valve Senior head,plugged into two Epi 12 cabs. Creamy blues tone,plenty of volume for Bar-gigs.
Charley Wilder

Post by Charley Wilder »

I use either a Boss DS-1 or a Boss SD-1. Both are modded by Analogman. The DS-1 is more versatile for my uses but I like both.
Alexa Gomez

D.i.

Post by Alexa Gomez »

Hello Dom,

At the risk of sounding a bit silly, I like the Pignose direct out to P.A. since it responds well to picking dynamics and cleans up by turning down.
Sister Alexa>SX Lap Pro>Rocktron Surf Tremolo>Pignose 7-100.

www.youtube.com/sisteralexa
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

That sounds like a great idea, Alexa!
Robert Mayo

Post by Robert Mayo »

My uncle Tim Brown makes them,(all by hand ) order through my website .