Is my damaged speaker salvageable?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John McClung

Is my damaged speaker salvageable?

Post by John McClung »

A spare JBL K-130 did a nosedive from a high shelf recently.

The metal basket is cracked. The voice coil is rubbing. (I hope I've named those parts correctly). Everything else seems to be intact.

Is anything salvageable from this mishap, or is the speaker basically toast?

Thanks.

Oh, and how does the Black Widow 1501-4 sound compared to the JBL K-130-8?
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

I prefer the JBL sound but it is a very slight difference in direct comparison.
The Peavey is a much tougher and more durable speaker.
8)
Re-coning the speaker is possible.
Check prices and reputation on this..
Last edited by Ken Metcalf on 10 Aug 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

I'm no expert on this subject, but I can't imagine the speaker could ever be reliable if the crack is not repaired, probably welded. And then, assuming welding could be done, would the shell still be symmetrical, so that a re-coned speaker could work properly, and continue to work properly over time? How much would such a repair cost, over and above the price of the re-coning? And can a re-coning with such a welding repair be guaranteed, or is it all just a gamble?

Too many obstacles in my opinion. I would buy the BW 1501-4. My 1501 is designated a SB (shallow basket). I was told (I think by Mike Brown) that the SB sounds the most like a JBL D130. It certainly sounds good to me.

It's only just money. Good luck.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

if the basket is cracked let it go, the magnet is probably compromised from the impact shock and the expense involved in re-gaussing, welding, re-coning, etc. is going to be significantly more than the speaker will be worth when repaired.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Thanks for the advice and prognosis, guys. I figured it was a goner, your views seem to confirm that. Oh well...thought maybe the magnet was salvageable, but probably not per Dave. I have another spare just like it, so it's not the end of the world.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Keith Nelson

Post by Keith Nelson »

http://www.speakerrepair.com

Try these guys. You are not too far from the in the LA area. They can give you a goor assessment.
Jerry Roller

What would you use for speaker wire?

Post by Jerry Roller »

I gave up the speaker wire from my Vegas 400 so now I need to replace it. Of course, the Molex connector is the problem. Wire would be no problem. Should I solder some wires onto the speaker leads on the amp chassis or should I try to order a wire from Peavey? I have a request posted in wanted to buy but have had no responses.
Thanks,
Jerry