Kay Adams' Wheels&Tears/Little Pink Mack. Who plays PSG?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

scott murray

Kay Adams' Wheels&Tears/Little Pink Mack. Who plays PSG?

Post by scott murray »

just wondering... read a review that says Ralph Mooney (along w/ James Burton) but I don't buy it.
The playing is more Lloyd Green-style, and did Moon EVER play a fuzz-tone solo?

I'm thinking some lesser-known Bakersfield player like Leo LeBlanc or...? The year was 1966.
Last edited by scott murray on 6 Aug 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Skeeter Stultz

Post by Skeeter Stultz »

I've been told,Bobby Garret. I think he was living and working in San Diego at the time.
GFI ULTRA D-10, EVANS, FENDER 2000 (WORN OUT) TWIN REVERB W/JBL'S, OLD 4-10 BASSMAN
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

In 66', Kay was part of the Buck Owens Ranch shows. Could it have been Tom Brumley????
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

Bobby Garrett... very interesting.

the more i listen to "Little Pink Mack" the more i think it's Lloyd.

there just weren't too many players with that Lloyd Green sound in 1966. only one i can really think of... ;-)

listen to it HERE

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/DY/Little_Pin ... _Adams.mp3
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

The session was held May 24, 1966 at the Capitol studios, 1750 North Vine, Hollywood, California.

Is there any reason to believe Lloyd Green ever did any recording in the 1960s in California?

I suppose it is possible he flew out for the session, but??
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

unlikely? i suppose.

although he did travel west in '68 to help the Byrds finish the 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo' album.

it just sounds like Lloyd to me.
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

I am in the process of reading Buck Owen's biography and although I've never heard the recording, it is defiantely during the "Tom Brumley" era of steel playing in Buck's recording endeavors.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Thats not Tom Brumley from what I can hear. Neither tone nor style. I'm wondering Leo Leblanc.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Kay Adams

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

Kevin is Right... Leo used to emulate a lot of Lloyds playing, but still had his own sound
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

A year later, we're still stumped: Who's the Steeler on this album?
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

I just listened to the Kay Adams song link and its for sure not Brumley. I just mentioned him before as I know Kay was part of the Buck Owens show. Sure sounds like vintage Lloyd though!!! Who ever it is, thats some nice pickin'!!!
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

sounds like a fender to me...or zb...yeah..could be don and tom..
Last edited by chris ivey on 8 Aug 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ebb

Post by ebb »

it sounds exactly like tom brumley to me and also don rich for sure
Kevin Macneil Brown

Post by Kevin Macneil Brown »

Hmmmm... I'm the one who wrote the offending review a few years back, and now all this has got me looking for the source I used when I credited Mooney and Burton. I'm chagrinned to say that I can't remember what/where it was. (I certainly do agree that the sounds don't always quite match what I know of those players. )
My sincere apologies if I've propagated misinformation. I'll keep digging-- though there are clearly some excellent shovels in the ground already.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

the plot thickens...!
turns out a friend of mine knows Kay and here's the information she gave:
Peaches Price on drums, Gentleman Jim on piano, Ralph Mooney on steel, Gene Moles & James Burton guitars, I forget who's on bass, maybe Bob Morris?
I really need to get my record player working so I can give the whole album a spin. I know Leo LeBlanc did a lot of studio work with Gene Moles, while Mooney worked more with James Burton. Maybe they're all on there.

but Lloyd is listed as the player on "Little Pink Mack" over at lloydgreentribute.com and between Lloyd's studio logs and Walter's devoted research, I trust that information 100%.
Last edited by scott murray on 8 Aug 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I would vote for Lloyd. Thats his exact style and also that is a Sho-Bud guitar tone identifiable by anyone who is much into Sho-Buds. I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Interesting. I never thought he did alot of west coast work. I believe that its him. Doesn't sound like Moon. Scott, where is Kay, and does she still sing? I have seen her on the old Buck Owens Ranch show tapes. She recorded well. Good country material.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

i just downloaded Kay's "Make Mine Country" album and it's definitely Moon on that one.
Ian Miller

Post by Ian Miller »

While I'm not sure 100% that it is him on the original (about 98%, though :) ), there is definitely some true-blue Lloyd-on-a-Sho Bud Permanent worship on aural display in Lisa & Her Kin's brand spankin' new cover version here: 02 Little Pink Mack.mp3

Who's Lisa & Her Kin? Well, that would be my sister Lisa, me on Tele, and forumite Russ Blake mashin' pedals! The track was produced by other forumite Deke Dickerson, and I think fans of sassy 60's PSG should get a charge out of it.
Dave Biller

Post by Dave Biller »

according to Lloyd's tribute site, it is indeed him. not sure who played the 6 string guitar (Gene Moles, maybe?) but it is definitely not James Burton. Ian, you and Russ are both kickin' butt on that track!....
Ian Miller

Post by Ian Miller »

:) Thanks, comin' from you, that means a lot, trust me!
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

Kay is living in Idaho. Unfortunately she's not performing these days.

She recorded with BR5-49 on a great compilation of trucking songs called Rig Rock Deluxe, but that was almost 15 years ago...
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Most of the Tower stuff was seperate to Buck's little empire at Capitol, I'd put money down for Leo LeBlanc and Gene Moles.
Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.