Things you don't want your wife to know

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Sherman Willden

Things you don't want your wife to know

Post by Sherman Willden »

In passing, I remarked about how strings can break and cut fingers. So now everytime the grandchildren come up I have to put the guitar away so the children won't hurt themselves. I just let them play with the guitar in the past.
Sherman L. Willden
It is easy to play the steel guitar. Playing so that the audience finds it pleasing is the difficult act.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I'd just let them play with it. I learned about what hurt from fooling around as a child; this child-safety paranoia can be taken too far....
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

I'm careful not to let my 3 year old grandson stand at the front of my steel.

He is just at the height where a breaking string could blind him
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

You should also be careful not to let your wife know when you've bought another expensive piece of gear. That can also result in serious injury.
Kelly Hydorn

Post by Kelly Hydorn »

:roll: That I'm storing my extra strings in the bottom of the flour canister in the kitchen!!! :) :)
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

How much I really payed for my new Emmons pedal bar..... :D
1970 P/P Emmons D10 flatback 8x5, BJS Bar, J F picks, Peavey Session 500, Telonics pedal. Boss GX700 effects.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Sherman,
There must be many guys who would like to spill the beans.....Just a pity that their wives also read the forum..... :lol: :lol:
1970 P/P Emmons D10 flatback 8x5, BJS Bar, J F picks, Peavey Session 500, Telonics pedal. Boss GX700 effects.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Peter Freiberger wrote:You should also be careful not to let your wife know when you've bought another expensive piece of gear. That can also result in serious injury.
Question: How many guitars do we actually need?

Answer: Just one more Honey. I promise. This is the last one.[/i]
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Bill Holt

Post by Bill Holt »

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Peter Freiberger wrote:You should also be careful not to let your wife know when you've bought another expensive piece of gear. That can also result in serious injury.
Question: How many guitars do we actually need?

Answer: Just one more Honey. I promise. This is the last one.[/i]
Here's my approach, Mike. It may or may not prove useful for you.

When talking to my better half, I liken basses (or steels) to fishing poles, knives, guns, tools... a man might have enough, but he can never have too many. I then say that it's like a woman might could have enough shoes and accessories in her closet, but could never have too many.

Most women see the correlation immediately. Unfortunately, many of them they see your spending to increase your collection as taking away from their ability to increase their collection and object on that basis. :cry:
I'm a Bob Moore Junkie!!!
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I used to sneak new guitars into the house when the ex was away, and take them upstairs and put them in an old case. After she'd get home, I'd go get the old case and bring it downstairs. "Gee! I haven't played this guitar in a long time!" She never had a clue!
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

first time story :
this fellow contacts me via the internet cause he'd like to cop a psg
ok, so i find him a good used SD10
him & i worked out the rendez vous at his house as to set it up & get him up & runnin'
well when i got to his house & got the steel set up, his wife walks in & says : " what's this thing ? "
hubby : " it's a pedal steel guitar honey ! "
wife : " you did'nt tell me you wanted one - how much does it cost ?"
hubby " 1500 €uros "
wife : " well baby, there's no way you're gonna buy it - you should have worked this out w: me before getting this fellow (me) involved "
hubby : " but honey, this instrument came all the way from the USA since i ordered it "
wife : " i don't care where it came from - you ain't buyin' it ! "
wife to me : " you'll have to excuze my husband & our differences but you'll just have to take this instrument w: you - ain't no way we're gonna buy it "

so off i went w: the steel towards brighter skies -
Jim Manley

Post by Jim Manley »

I usually know what time the UPS truck comes by and with tracking I know the exact day,so on a delivery day around 4 Pm i seem to run out of beer and as long as i buy my wife will fly.then i try to blend my new gadget(bar,pedal,ect in gradually)The big stuff like my new dobro couldnt hide so after a day in dog house is worth it,
fessenden d10,nashville 112,nashville 1000,peavey session 500,transtubefex,goodrich steeldriver 111,Gibson hound dog dobro,Appalacian resonator guitar.Marshall AS50D acoustic amp,Fishman Jerry Douglas imaging pedal.