Who builds the best pedal steel?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

Image :D
Ray Mangrum

The Best Steel

Post by Ray Mangrum »

I agree that it's the one you are sitting behind. (wish I thought of that first) However, I have an Emmons Legrande III that Dave Robbins modified for me that is one sweet guitar. I have owned a Franklin,MSA,ZB, Kline, Sho Bud, aCustome Built One, and now the Legrande, and I'll take the Emmons over all of them. I think the Zum would be my next choice. Having said that, I believe some players like Jernigan, Franklin, Sigler and of course the Big "E" could play a string of barb-wire on a 2x4 and make it sound good.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

This is one of them threads that I have initial apprehension about lookin' at.

The food fight scene from "Animal House" comes to mind. :)
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

As I expected,to have fun with this Question.It all comes down to personal prefrence.My interest was spurred by ball bearing guitars,and those that don't.I play a MSA so guess what my choice is?Slobering at the Msa millinium it became clear that paying that much for one instrument,1 its gotta be tough,2. It must last a life time,3.Its gotta sound good.That one guitar cost nearly as much as my entire arsonal.Thanks everybody
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

As Basil pointed out, the question is ambiguous. You really need two topics...
[1] What is the best pedal steel that has ever been made ?
[2] What is the best pedal steel currently manufactured ?
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

And how do you define "best?" Sturdiest? Most precise mechanically? Smoothest pedal action?

If we are talking about mechanical precision, Sierra has to be included on the list.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

The question: Who builds the best pedal steel guitar.
Answer: Me.
We are just talking opinions anyway aren't we?
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Johnny Cox wrote:The question: Who builds the best pedal steel guitar.
Answer: Me.
Johnny, I have to agree. You did a great job building mine. :D
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
Al Collinsworth

Post by Al Collinsworth »

Johnny is absolutely correct!!!! I have several of his guitars!!! Thank you Johnny!!!!
Bill Howard

HERE'S The BEST STEEL EVER

Post by Bill Howard »

i cannot believe I'm going to waste some DNA on the keyboard for this but here goes.
the BEST Steel EVER made is the one the the PERSON who likes the one he has the best.
I Owned a Transmission shop,I was always a Chevy person so one day these guys started in about Chevy VS FordVS Chrysler (back then:).
One Chevy Guy said "tell this Ford Guy the best transmission ever made, (this guy knew I liked Chevy:)
OK a FORD C-6 is one of the BEST!. OVER a turbo 400?.
YEP thats my opinion,don't get me wrong a TH400 is a killer so is torqueflites but neither can top a C-6 for Durability. How about that little C-4/5 Ford used in Pintos Pick ups,fairlanes Galaxies, one of the BEST little Transmissions ever made, again turbo 350's were put in more vehicles than ANY unit ever made good little transmissions.
Now same is true for Pedal Steels I owned 3 Sho Buds a Franklin,and an Emmons personally I like the tone of the Emmons better than the others,also has better sustain,same goes with AMPS someone ask the best AMP
The one you think sounds best how about that?.
I have heard Great sounding Steels in EVERY BRAND going!.S Buds,ZB's,Becks,Franklins Emmons,ZUM's,MULLEN'sDESERT ROSE,RITTENBERRY,JACKSONS,MSA's ALL have good points choose the one YOU like best!,thats the right answer
Tracy Sheehan

Re:

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Speaking of cars is a Hugo built as good as a Lexus?
Everything sure gets off topic quick. :)
Tony Prior

Re:

Post by Tony Prior »

Tracy Sheehan wrote:Speaking of cars is a Hugo built as good as a Lexus?
Everything sure gets off topic quick. :)

I think Hugo was a Hurricane and YUGO may be a car... But I could be wrong..but probably not... actually..not...

Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Markrite & Sho-Bud Maverick. 23 skidoooo!
Greg Moody

New Justice Steel

Post by Greg Moody »

I have been playing push-pulls for several years in Branson.I just bought a new Justice and I'm really enjoying it.Fred builds a fine guitar check one out.
Keith Murrow

Post by Keith Murrow »

-O-
Last edited by Keith Murrow on 14 Aug 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie Daniels

Post by Robbie Daniels »

IMHO in most cases the PSG one is playing and if it fits the player and one is adept to playing it, will be by far the best steel. As long as a steel is manufactured to a quality of professional standards then they are all about equal. What is not equal are the players themselves. The player, as a rule, determines the quality that is heard out of the instrument. Emmons or Jerry Byrd could make a Multi-Chord sound great.
Carter D12, MSA S12, 12 String Custom Made Non-Pedal, Evans FET 500LV, Evans SE200, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Steel King
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

Franklin.....best out of the 3 guitars I ever owned
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Terry Miller

Post by Terry Miller »

Who builds the best steel, The company that you ordered it from. For me it is a ShowPro. Great quality in the guitar, as far as workmanship and materials. The best made guitars come from the best people. In my case that is Jeff Surratt. Other best guitars come from another great person,Harry Jackson, He did his dad proud. Great guitar Harry. Terry Miller
Jim Simon

Post by Jim Simon »

Which ever brand and model Lloyd, Buddy, Ralph, David, and ............ are playing today.
Tracy Sheehan

Re:

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Back in 1959 or 60 i was playing fiddle and steel in a band in Lubbock.Tx. I had a srting master and bought a multi kord to see what the pedals did. I have told this before. One night Jimmy Day and Buddy Emmons came in and set in on the MK. They had a blast and sounded good but far as i know neither bought a MK as it was a piece of junk. Bob White also played on it later but don't think he traded his Bigsby for a MK either.
Later i bought a Fender 1000. It was built like a tank and weighed about as much and soon became out dated. The point being,the artile was about the best constructed steel. Not tone,ect as was pointed out in the second post i think it was. :)
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

There is only pone way to settle this. We all have to contribute to a fund to buy one of our members one of every steel guitar made today, and let him or her decide on the basis of playing them all.

Having and test driving all those steels will be tough, but I volunteer for the job. :mrgreen:
Cliff Trent

best!

Post by Cliff Trent »

I've owned and played 4 MSA, 2 Emmons, 1 Sho-bud, and now I have a SKH Legrand Ron Lashley had built for me in the mid 80's All were great guitars!! Now I have a Williams that I dearly love! Thanks to the Dr. Bowman touch, they are both my favorites!!!
Any guitar the has the feel and tone you want is a great guitar! What's behind the guitar is as important than the guitar itself, I think.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I'll buy that yugo from you Tony.....really I mean the Yugo not you go as pictured.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I prefer the Adobe over the Hugo,It's much easier to fix an Adobe. ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

stu..i picture you in an adobe igloo....for that touch of the southwest up there with your sled dogs!