it arrived

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Haun

it arrived

Post by Paul Haun »

My GFI s-10 arrived today and I must say this is easily the best musical purchase I have ever made. Sure I have a ways to go, but so far, the tone and playability is incredible! And, though I was questioning a 15" ext. cab for the Pro Reverb, at this point I think it sounds like butter.

Been playing around with some old Neil tunes and surprisingly I can actually get some good sounds out...Of course I'm playing more "chords" and not quite tabs but I'm happy as a pig in shoot!

Thank you SGF!!! I'm sold for life already!

Oh, and a question...is it wrong to not use picks? I guess for my chords right now it doesn't matter as much...I fingerpick my guitars 80% of the time and it just works so far for steel...will I run into issues later?
Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

I am glad you like your new steel... So you know, this thread is useless without pictures! *wink*

As far as the picks vs. no picks, it's a great debate among steelers... Ultimately, it's your choice... Do what you wish!

Enjoy!
Paul Haun

Post by Paul Haun »

HA! Will try to get a pick of the setup so far and send before I leave for austin
Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

GFI's are great guitars. Do you play guitar as well? Junior Brown and Dick Meis are two players who play using a flat pick and 2 finger picks. You'll find out what works for you!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I just bought a used GFI S-10 Expo model for my Wife who wants to learn steel. It's a very nice guitar and the only negative is the pedals seem to be over to the left a little too far in relation to the knee lever placement. She is having problems reaching the "A" pedal without the LKL knee lever getting in the way. Even I have a little problem with that.
Adam Lang

Post by Adam Lang »

I have had my GFI Ultra S-10 for about 4 weeks now and I couldn't be happier.
Below is a link to when mine came in.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=187195

I agree when you say it was the best musical instrument purchase ever.
I have been playing bluegrass banjo for 26 years and I use the same finger picks on the PSG as I do with the banjo.
I taught banjo for years and always told my students to practice the banjo with the picks on so it becomes second nature...I would say the same for pedal steel.
I have learnt "Sleepwalk", "Man you dreamed I'd be"(by Mark Moldre from his Troubled Genius cd)and most of "Born to lose" along with a few licks and some basic chord theory and I am loving every minute of it.
My girlfriend can't keep me away from it!
Adam.
GFI Ultra S-10, Dunlop 7/8 bar, Goodrich L120 volume pedal, GFI Kari-All seat.
Ryan Barwin

Post by Ryan Barwin »

Congrats on the new GFI. As for picks, you don't necessarily need to use fingerpicks, but you should use a thumbpick.
Paul Haun

Post by Paul Haun »

Hey yall...maybe I'll go ahead and start with the picks and give it a whirl. I do play guitar, but it's not the thumb pick that gets me...it's the 2nd finger pick, will just take some practice, just tough when you can actually play something without them...

As for the pedals, I was wondering the same thing about the A pedal...but having never played steel, I thought it was just me...my ankle really has to turn over to get it without the hitting the LKL...which is tough being a former athlete with many sprained ankles....Ii take it there is no way to move them?
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

No way to move them without major "redesign".

Some brands have the pedals start further to the left, like the GFI, Zum, Emmons, than others. My Franklin's "A" pedal starts about where the "B" pedal is on the GFI. The GFI S-10 Expo we have is a black colored one identical to the one Bobbe Seymour is featuring on his web site (the original owner bought it from Bobbe).
Thomas Ludwig

Post by Thomas Ludwig »

GFI = Go For It

Thomas
(GFI-Ultra Owner)
Paul Haun

Post by Paul Haun »

@Jack...That's understandable about having to "redesign"...your Franklin sounds just where I would like the A...even just 1/2way to the B would help...I'm sure i'll get used to it...good news is it makes the a+b+LKL easy :)

Mine is the walnut version..It used to be an old friends first steel, then became his travel steel...it's in beautiful shape, looks nearly new...Nice thing is it has the stainless changers too..and seems quite solid for being so light weight and single neck...very glad I didn't go with something heavier as I'll be moving it around a bit.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Paul, even with the pedal placement issue, it is a nice steel for a beginner. The 4 knee levers (factory setup) is almost identical the 4 knee levers I have on my Franklin. The only difference I also raise the 7th string a half tone (F# to G) with the RKR. I also have a 5th LKV that lowers the 5th and 10th.

Mine came with either the original strings or Cobra Coil strings. I put a set of GHS Super Steels (SS wound) and it brought the guitar to life.