Elton Smith

Playing in the dark

Post by Elton Smith »

How do yall play in the dark.
Ray Montee

In ONE WORD........................

Post by Ray Montee »

POORLY!

Playing an all black Bakelite Ric with no fret markers it's difficult........to say the least.
Jim Cohen

Re: Playing in the dark

Post by Jim Cohen »

Elton Smith wrote:How do yall play in the dark.
By ear?
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I bitch a lot until they turn up the lights. If I know ahead of time, I make sure I play my Carter instead of my Williams. The fret lines on the Willy are silver or grey as opposed to white, and very difficult to see in the dark. I also carry a light that I can clip on to something as has flexible shafts to adjust. But usually, I just bitch and moan until someone listens. A few tears help out too. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

I'll take a different twist here

You will never regret learning to play in the dark. Blindfold yourself / play with a towel over the fretboard. It can be done and your ear / hand coordination will improve noticeably.

Plus, it won't be such a big deal when you have a gig in a dimly lit place.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

I played in a band called the Mushroom Band, We were kept in the dark and fed on bull****
Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

I played a few shows with an experimental band at a Planetarium while they did their light show. It went from total darkness to dim and back to total darkness several times during the concert. We all used clip-on LED lights that saved the day by making it possible to play in these conditions. I can't imagine how it could be done without some light even if the level is low.
Dan Galysh

Post by Dan Galysh »

Hi, Elton.
I've been using a clip-on book light from the Mighty Bright company. I use the dual gooseneck version. I just clip it on to the top of the right front leg of my guitar. I aim one light down the fretboard around the 22nd fret and aim the other light at my rack. It works great when the stage lights cut to black and I'm as blind as a bat for the next intro kickoff.

:)

http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lights ... tList.aspx
Ray Montee

How DARK, can dark really be?

Post by Ray Montee »

A few hours ago, I rec'd a nice email from one of our fellow Forumites. He told a story of how as a youngster, he underwent eye surgery and had to wear bandages about his head for several weeks or more while waiting to heal.

He mentioned that he still practices in the DARK after some 45 years of playing geetar.

Just made me recall how I have spent countless hours of VISUALIZING a 'new song' in the dark while waiting to fall asleep or while I was driving one of those REALLY BIG RIGS down the highways and by-ways of Oregon, Washington and/or California, etc.

This is slightly off center to the original post but I tho't there might be some value in if for some of you newer people.
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

I have a fairly small LED red lamp that I use. The frets are white on my fret board so they show quite well. I just have to trust my picking fingers to find their way around.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Well, I played my Jackson Blackjack Custom in the dark in my house one night and the only lights were comin' from the den and hallway, so I could see what I was playin' even though it was dark.

Brett
Marc Friedland

Post by Marc Friedland »

I thought this topic was about a Bruce Springsteen song ----

If I'm caught unaware, the darkness can be a problem because I'm not used to it. If I know it's a venue with particularly poor lighting, I'll come prepared with my own small plug-in desk lamp, which helps enough.

Marc

www.PedalSteelGuitarMusic.com
George Kimery

How Do you play in the dark?

Post by George Kimery »

The places I play now have enough light. But if it is a new venue, I take along a Lil Light. These are used on a lot on mixer boards. They have a goose neck, come in different lengths and have a dimmer control on them, plus it has a shield over half of the bulb, so the light doesn' shine towards the audience. I have a piece of industrial (not the regular stuff) sticky back velcro about 3 inches long stuck to the end of my guitar, which is formica, so the tape will not harm the finish. The other half of the velcro is stuck to the bottom of the Lil Light base. The gooseneck allows the light to come out over the right hand and light up the fretboard. The dimmer control lets me adjust as to how much light I need. I have an eye condition called central cirrus and can't see very well in dim light, so it is an even bigger problem for me.
Elton Smith

Dark

Post by Elton Smith »

Thanks guys,advise well taken.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

ZZZZZZ
Last edited by Bo Legg on 17 Jul 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

For dark or very low lighted gigs, I always carried a couple of "Little Lites" that attached to the front legs of my guitar and were goose-necked so they could be adjusted easily (probably the very same kind that George was describing in his post above). Mine also had a dimmer, but on mine the base had a wing nut clip that allowed me to attach them to the legs of my steel just below the end plates. I really loved them and they sure made it easy to play in dim or dark situations.

The photo above isn't that great, but it's the best I have that shows the Little Lites attached to my guitar in a gig situation. In this photo, the lamps were set to the brightest setting.
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

It seems that there's a demand out there for a perspex fingerboard with a light underneath to illuminate the fret positions. I've been thinking of building one for some time.
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

I can barely remember playing in the dark as a very young man, but I always got up and went home before the Sun came up. :?
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I'm afraid of the dark.

:)
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I'm afraid of the pedals. When I can't see them they move around down there so that I push the wrong ones. I'm sure they're conspiring against me. :\ :\ :roll:
Elton Smith

Dark

Post by Elton Smith »

Alan thats a great idea,a lited fretboard.The leds are great but you don't won't to kill the audience atmosphere.I'll bet some guitar makers will pick this up.Thanks Elbo
Elton Smith

Dark

Post by Elton Smith »

Let's make one!
Jeff Colson

Post by Jeff Colson »

I'll go along with Larry's take on this. There is a lot of patterns and licks that I practice with my eyes closed. I'ts great for your playing and confidence. This came from Paul Franklin one night I was talking to him at the station Inn. What a great tip. Besides when you watch clips of Buddy,Paul and all the great players they can play while they are looking at someone or around the room !

Jeff
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

I'm with you Larry Bell. Years ago, I kept my steel set up next to my bed and when I thought about a new lick, I'd leap out of bed and try it out, lights out of course. I did this after reading a very old article by the big "E" about the benefits of learning in the dark. Same applies to the megga expensive tuners available. Paul Franklin mentioned about getting your E's and B's in with a tuner, then just use your ears on the rest. Same thing applied to my early Martial arts days..some training was done with a blindfold on, to "feel" your opponent, then react accordingly.

Micky Byrne U.K.