Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Brian Henry

Aloha Oe

Post by Brian Henry »

LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I can't agree that it's a good version. It's not even played correctly. Queen Liliuokalani (the composer) is rolling over in her grave :D
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Maybe Bill will like this version better by Rick Aiello of HSGA 8)

Most non-Hawaiian steel guitar players play this Hawaiian song too fast.

It should be played slowly, with Hawaiian strumming.

Aloha, :)
Don
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

Tempo is still too fast Don.
Here's how it should be done . . . and with feeling.

Short version of the song here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dddt40mggyh
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Don/Derrick,

I have listened to both your versions and not wishing to offend you, in my humble opinion they are both inferior in style, technique and tone, compared to the one I submitted.
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

oops ...
Last edited by Rick Aiello on 3 Jul 2010 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Derrick,
I am in total agreement with you, Derrick. The point I was making in my first post was that non-Hawaiians too frequently play Aloha O'e too uptempo.
Rick first version and the version TBHenry gave us are both examples of non-Hawaiians playing Aloha O'e too fast.

I suppose a song can be played any way that you want it to be played, but since this is a Hawaiian song, I prefer it to be played in a Hawaiian style. TB Henry's version is the most unHawaiian style, followed by Rick's first version, and the better one is your selecton because it has the Hawaiian touch. I liked the harmonics too.

Rick's second version is much better than the first version on tempo but still needs a slowing of the tempo. It would also sound better with Hawaiian backup, but what can you expect when you live outside of Hawaii? :?

Where are some more Hawaiian versions of Aloha O'e?

Don
Last edited by Don Kona Woods on 3 Jul 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Derrick Mau wrote:Tempo is still too fast Don.
tbhenry wrote:Don/Derrick,

I have listened to both your versions and not wishing to offend you, in my humble opinion they are both inferior in style, technique and tone, compared to the one I submitted.
Don Kona Woods wrote:Derrick,
I am in total agreement with you, Derrick. The point I was making in my first post was that non-Hawaiians too frequently play Aloha O'e too uptempo.
Rick and the version TBHenry gave us are both examples of non-Hawaiians playing Aloha O'e too fast.

I suppose a song can be played any way that you want it to be played, but since this is a Hawaiian song, I prefer it to be played in a Hawaiian style. TB Henry's version is the most unHawaiian style, followed by Rick's, and the better one is your selecton because it has the Hawaiian touch. I liked the harmonics too.

Where are some more Hawaiian versions of Aloha O'e?

Don
Since my ears were ringin' ... I prefer this version ...

http://www.hsga.org/Video/RickAiello/Aiello-AlohaOe.wmv

;-)

See y'all in Joliet 2010 8)
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

While I most certainly love to hear Aloha Oe played in a slow beautiful tempo, I believe there is a lot of room for it to be played in different tempos and styles. I remember when you could walk down Waikiki and every establishment had a hawaiian group with a steel guitar. Yes, I'm that old. The problem was that lets say there were 30 of these places. Go into the first place and here the steel is playing Mapuana, etc etc and Aloha Oe. Go to the next place and the next all the way to the 30th and all the steel players were playing the same songs, same tempo, same style, etc. Some of my friends, both locals and mainlanders told me they would like to hear different styles and tempos on these songs which would make bar hopping more interesting. I think the sameness of the music is one of the reasons steel almost died for quite a few yrs. One of the best things I heard revisting the islands was the Hiram Olson Trio doing a medley of these old slow numbers in upbeat tempo. JMHO, cc
Del Bonn

Aloha Oe

Post by Del Bonn »

This continues to be my all-time favourite, and occasionally I do indulge in playing it solo in Ab. I originally heard it in a slow 1,2+3,4 tempo, and I still like to hear the ukes that way.
My newest addition is "Mapuani" as played gy Duke Kaleolani Ching.
Del Bonn

Aloha Oe

Post by Del Bonn »

Also, with this melody, as with all, the objective is touse slides in a way that does not emulate a "musical saw." I use chords wherever possible.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Don Kona Woods wrote: It would also sound better with Hawaiian backup, but what can you expect when you live outside of Hawaii? :?
Gerald Ross, Doug Smith, Barb Kuhns and Terry Miller ... one mighty fine rhythm section ... regardless of ethnic origin

:P

:lol:

:mrgreen:
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

This is a classic case of people not knowing what they are playing and the history behind the song.

Aloha 'Oe is a love song. And it supposed to be played as a ballad.

Aloha 'Oe is a love song about two lovers parting for a brief moment. The Queen, on her long journey through the forest back to the palace seen this, and wrote this song about what she saw.

Hey Rick, nice going! :)
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Derrick, I do not regard this as a love song. I only know the christian words, "He is Comming Soon" referring to the rapture, and soon coming back of Jesus to take his people home to heaven.

Just as Mozart is not just for Germans, nor Verdi is not just for Italians, so this Aloha Oe is not just for Hawaiians. It is okay to add new lyrics and modify the tune if need be!!

I perform and love the tune just as I posted it. Hope this helps!
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Bill, In what way is it not good?
In what way is it being played incorrectly?
Did you ever know this queen and hear her play it?

Your answers to these questions would be appreciated!!
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

Henry,

What you posted may be music to your ears, but here in the islands, people will view that version of yours as the "cheesiest" version ever.

Even worse than the earlier stuff put out on vinyl by Leo Addeo, Jon Hall, Waikikis and Luke Leilani.

Have you ever been to Hawaii to listen to the "REAL" Hawaiian music?
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I like this version by Herb Ohta-San.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2KtYwWb ... 1&index=17
Last edited by Andy Volk on 4 Jul 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

When playing Lodge gigs for the Elks and Masons a lot of the older pe0ple had been to Hawaii one or more times. I always enjoyed playing a medley of: Beyond the Reef, Harbor Lights, and ending up with Aloha Oe. This really brought back the memories of their trips to Hawaii and was appreciated. The refrain of Aloha Oe has so much feeling to it.
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

Don/Derrick, I have listened to both your versions and not wishing to offend you, in my humble opinion they are both inferior in style, technique and tone, compared to the one I submitted.
BTW, the version I posted of Aloha 'Oe is of Gabby Pahinui on steel, who is regarded by many here in Hawaii as the finest Hawaiian musician there ever was.
Laurence Pangaro

Post by Laurence Pangaro »

So what's the historical practice of tempo here? The very limited data so far on this post points to a moderate tempo at the beginning of the century. Is this close to the "original" tempo? What are the earliest versions in a very slow tempo? (What are the earliest recorded versions?) My initial guess would be that the tempo of this song became slower over the decades as it became sort-of enshrined as a hymn of the Hawaiian people.

The battle for authenticity rages on!

ciao,
LP
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

Rick Aiello's second clip is about right on the money for the tempo that it's played today in Hawaii. The Royal Hawaiian Band also plays it in a similar tempo, moderately slow, but not at a funeral's pace.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Derrick, I have great respect for the Hawaiian people and their music. Hawaiian Music is what drew me to the steel guitar. I have listened to your offerings with great interest. However, I have a broader perspective when it comes to music and like to modify tunes and lyrics. Listen to this version. It is probably painful and pitiful to your ears. But many of us on the mainland love it, since we don't have a narrow purist view of music. Remember, the beauty of music is in the individul ear of the beholder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVBGw-Q-KCk
Last edited by Brian Henry on 3 Jul 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Brian Henry

Royal Hawaiian Band

Post by Brian Henry »

Hi Derrick,

Is this the Royal Hawaiian Band that you are referring to. If so, their steel guitar player seems to enjoy singing instead of playing music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tsur32q ... 1&index=27
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Gee guys, didn't mean to stir op a rhubarb here!! :D
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

So what's your point?

When I referred to the Royal Hawaiian Band, it was about the tempo that they played this song, NOT how much steel work that was in it.