Does anyone know this steel lick?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Howard

Gary Carter playing this song

Post by Bill Howard »

There is a Clip of this same song where Gary Carter is Playing it and looks to me like he IS on the old B&C pedal of course I play an emmons so what do I know:).
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

thats correct it is the BC pedals with the 2nd string 1/2 lower
Walter Bowden

Post by Walter Bowden »

Hello Martin. Hope you and yours are well.

I'm trying to learn this lick using you tab but wanted to ask a question if I may.

It's tricky little thing especially for my limited abilities for now. I'm wondering if you know when it was played by Myrick and Rugg originally, did they use a thumb/second finger crossover type of picking, or thumb, first AND second finger banjo roll type of style?

What type do you recommend? Of course other opinions or suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you and best wishes.
Walter
Emmons S10, p/p, Nashville 112, Zion 50 tele style guitar, Gibson LP Classic w/Vox AC30, Fender Deluxe De Ville and a Rawdon-Hall classical
Martin Johannesson

Post by Martin Johannesson »

Walter: I don't know when this lick was first used but as I have heared it was Hal Rugg who came up with something similar either when he was recording with Loretta, Wilburns or Osborne Brothers. I would guess Weldon was influenced by Hal's playing when he joined him as a staff steel player on the Opry in early 70's.

About your question which fingering to use on this lick I'm a little confused? It's just chords! :)
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Roger Kelly wrote:Rick, FWIW...Hal Rugg tuned his E-9th 2nd string to a D instead of D# because he said he didn't like 1/2 stops. He raised the D to a D# on a different knee than the one used to drop the 2nd string to a C# such as RKR.
This way he could do that lick using only B+C pedals.

Weldon and Hal are two of my favorite players.
Martin Johannesson says:

Roger: Both Hal & Weldon tuned 2nd string to C# and raised it to D and D# with two seperate levers. Hal & Weldon along with Lloyd is my top 3 heroes also.

Martin, I stand corrected...You are right! I was mistaken about the 2nd string tuned to a D, it was C#.... Thanks for setting me straight.
Walter Bowden

Post by Walter Bowden »

My mistake Martin. I actually listened closer and can make out the chords moving now.
Emmons S10, p/p, Nashville 112, Zion 50 tele style guitar, Gibson LP Classic w/Vox AC30, Fender Deluxe De Ville and a Rawdon-Hall classical