New guy here

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tom Simpson

New guy here

Post by Tom Simpson »

Just wanted to say hello :) I've just put my order in for an eight string dynalap and can't wait to recieve it. I play regular guitar, but have never tried a lapsteel. Lot to learn! Anyway, first question. I plan on playing electric blues and some rock. Think David Gilmour. So can ya'll guide me on sme type and gauge strings to get. Thanks guys. Looking fwd. to getting to know ya'll some more :mrgreen:
Tom
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Welcome, Tom. David Gilmour's lap steels are described in great detail on the Gilmourish website. His tunings can be used with a standard set of regular gauge electric guitar strings; no special strings needed.

Have fun and ask questions!
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Hi Tom and welcome to the forums :) Here is a cool version of David doing Shine On You Crazy Diamond http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk/dg/index.html
Rick Batey

Post by Rick Batey »

There's a ton of good info on the website Brad mentioned but I'm not sure they've got DG's current tunings for the red and creme Jedson lap steels.

Tom Simpson

Post by Tom Simpson »

Thanks for the links :) My main question I have is there a standard tuning for these? Because I play a regular six string guitar, I'm locked into that knowlege base. I really don't know where to begin. I've never played a lap steel before. I am looking for an instructional DVD that can get me going. I would love to find a good one that I can learn from. Any suggestions? Anyway, I've read where a lot of guys tune an 8 string to c6th. Is that OK for blues and rock? If so, what set of strings should I order? I guess I need something kind of standard to get me started, while I learn. Also are there music books of songs I might like that are tabbed for these? Whew!! I am ignorant huh :eek:
Anyway, thanks guys. I can't wait for your advice :mrgreen:
Tom
Tom Simpson

Post by Tom Simpson »

Bump :)
Paul Bostic

Post by Paul Bostic »

Hi Tom,
I am currently working through Jerry Byrd's instructional book with CD's. You can get it at Scotty's in St Louis. It's spendy but really informative. I also am a guitar player trying to adapt to lap steel. Jerry Byrd makes you work through the different tunings so you understand their purpose.
Paul
60's & 70's country rock is my favorite, Martin & Taylor acoustic, Fender & Washburn electric, Rickenbacher BD 8 lap steel, violin.
Jim Grant

lap steel

Post by Jim Grant »

Hi Paul
Jim Grant here. live in New York up on Canadian border
went through grants pass traveling the coast. Daughter was working in Roseburg out of collage and took trip down coast. I am working on lessons from cindy Cashdollar and Roy Thomson both very good. Not doing great but having fun at it. Started building laps and really enjoying it. Played a little guitar but busted up my hand so thought I would try lap. Am 71 now everyone said I should have started 60 years ago.Oh well. good luck with your new adventure
JIM
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

For tunings you should get the entertaining book by Andy Volk, there are written sections of the book about lots of different steelers; their tunings are printed and we have a guide for getting string gauges. b0b, the site admin, has a large stock of strings and can accommodate any special needs you may have. My experience with blues on C6 has not been fruitful; E7 seems to be better but the Darrick Campbell tuning in the book- lo to hi B*E*B*E*G#*B*C#*E. You may tweak it ( I did) to get some voicings but it is a great tuning for vamping open major chords and there are a lot of easy single note runs in there.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome, c'mon in...

I think you might wanna start with one of the E based tunings, just to get started, and to get a feel for playing the instrument. Later, try some of the others. That way, being somewhat familiar with the tuning, you can more easily concentrate on the mechanics of playing.
Jim Sallis

Post by Jim Sallis »

Tom, To simplify what will be at first rather overwhelming (so many new skills, so many tunings!), try open E or E7th. This one's easier for guitar players to synch (and sink) into: You have an open E just as though you were fingering a first-position E chord, then everything falls more or less where you're used to it falling -- 5th fret A, etc. Once you've got some miles on, you can look at G tuning and perhaps others, but if it's blues and rock you're after, E (or D, same thing one step down) may be where you alight and stay.
Tom Simpson

Post by Tom Simpson »

Wow! Thanks guys. OK, so if I go with an E tuning to get started, what gauge string set should I get? (remember I ordered an 8 string model) I don't even know which strings should be wound or not, so please talk to me like a true beginner. You won't offend me. My brain is mush and in ya'lls hands :lol: Also, are thier any really good DVD instructional lessons? I don't mind spending good money, because I would rather learn the correct way then hunt and peck around. I would like something that would take me from a beginner and get me off and running. I am a firm believer in learning the correct way. I do not have a teacher down here in the Keys. I'm guessing it will take me a month or so to finish and assemble the Dynalap so I have time to order and get prepared. Thanks again Guys!! :D
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

In my search for the perfect tuning, I found some tunings great for blues, rock (D and E based tunings) and some great for genre based music like hawaiian and western swing.

The great thing about these tunings is that it is fairly easy to get up and running within the genres that you playing.

Through a great deal of experimentation I found a tuning that I think can work for any type of music but is not as easy to get started with as some of those other tunings, but for my money, has much more depth once you get acquainted with it. It is a variant of C6 and goes from bottom to top: A C# E G A C E D (top D being two steps down from the top E).

I find I can do everything I want to do on this tuning. YMMV.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

I'd recommend the Darick Campbell one, purely from personal experience. You can get his instructional DVD and learn a lot of great ways to use it, too.
Tom Simpson

Post by Tom Simpson »

Hey Guys, I was surfing the web and I found this
http://www.georgeboards.com/DVD/DVDCombo-net.html
Does anybody know about this? Thanks :)
Tom Simpson

Post by Tom Simpson »

Keith Cordell wrote:I'd recommend the Darick Campbell one, purely from personal experience. You can get his instructional DVD and learn a lot of great ways to use it, too.
Thank you. I checked his site out and I may order this too :)