Russ Pahl on Willie's Country Music CD

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Harmonson

Russ Pahl on Willie's Country Music CD

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Just got Willie's new CD "Country Music". Got some real tasty steel pickin' from Russ Pahl. Some very listenable takes on some great classic country songs.
John Ummel

Post by John Ummel »

I was just lookin at that Sunday at Barnes & Noble. I'm puttin it on my short list. Just ordered both Johan Jansen CDs from bOb. anxious to hear those.
Al Moss

Post by Al Moss »

The tone is just right for this album's material. -sounds very Fender'y to my ears with a sweet twang. Nice percussive touches as well in some of the solos too.
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

That was my take as well. Definitely a Fender like tone on some of the tunes. Does anybody know what he usually plays on.
I really like the whole CD's simple sounding arrangements. A couple of songs call for some hot licks, but mostly it's simple fills that fit just right.
Buddy Miller sounds great on el. guitar and Ronnie McCuory is stellar on mando and Stuart Duncan is outstanding as usual on fiddle. I give it 5 stars.
John Ummel

Post by John Ummel »

Just saw the songlist includes Freight Train Boogie, thats worth the price of admission right there. Probably Russ came up with something nice for that one. I have the Delmore Bros recording on vinyl, now I'll have that song going through my head all afternoon til I get home from work (lunch now).
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Mostly fiddle and harmonica on that one. Mickey Raphael nails it on the harp.
Ryan Barwin

Post by Ryan Barwin »

Yeah, that is a great album, with some really nice playing all around, but especially the steel. Is Russ playing his Show-Pro on it?