Buyers Beware

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Harry Sheppard

Buyers Beware

Post by Harry Sheppard »

Buyers Beware
Last edited by Harry Sheppard on 1 Sep 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Manno

Post by George Manno »

Yikes!Ask for a complete refund and be done with it.

gm
Robert Salomone

Post by Robert Salomone »

There's no way that a Gibson L-7 is worth less in trade than a Chinese arch top, unless it's been severely damaged. Check the markup on those Eastmans, they cost the dealers next to nothing. Sorry for your pain, hold your ground with this dealer and get your money and L7 back.
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

There is a distinct possibility that the mods were already in place, and he offered to install the pickup as a way to try to foist them on you. Either way, if he is a reputable dealer he will offer a full refund. At least he appears to have been in business as a dealer for six years or more, so he is unlikely to disappear on you.
Harry Sheppard

Post by Harry Sheppard »

The L7 was all original and in excellent condition. Yes it was worth far more than even a new Eastman but don't dismiss these Eastman Guitars. The 810CE plays and sounds much better than the L7 ever did. It is a very nice guitar.

This is just a notice for people to always be on the lookout when transacting on the internet. The dealer is a well known internet dealer with a solid reputation from my research although now I am beginning to hear otherwise. I guess the poor economy makes people do things they would never have done in good times. I have had what I would consider 2 bad experiences dealing with people on the internet and both are fairly high profile individuals. Just remain cautious...
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Moved to Music from Steel Without Pedals.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

yeah...i'm betting the modifications were already done...or he's just a weird delusional mofo who thinks he knows what's best. i know other people like him. luckily the guitar plays well, but you might have gotten a slightly better deal by selling your guitar yourself and talking him down a little. i think he should cut you back a few bucks, but he won't!