Prototype Frypan?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Al Terhune

Prototype Frypan?

Post by Al Terhune »

Link to auction on eBay.

Any comments on this? Knowledge of it being authentic?
Al

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

"Flying Pan"??? Too hilalious. (Not to mention auto-stereotypical.) First of all, the thumbscrews are a later feature continuing through and beond WWII. "Pre-war" pickups have two screws on each side. I think someone has commented that that particular arrow knob was only used for one year--1939? Prototype? Seller wishes...Tsumura Collection? Could well be, since it has been dispersed since its namesake went to the, for want of the Japanese word, pokey.
"Gopher, Everett?"
Chris Drew

Post by Chris Drew »

This one (Non-Rickenbacher) is perhaps a bit more interesting...
link to ebay auction
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Paul Tutmarc is way under-credited for his pioneering work in guitar amplification. Not very elegant, but likely a functional instrument in its day.

As for the Tsumura "prototype" .... B.T. Barnum was right. The frypan prototype was actually made out of wood.

Image[/i]
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

As far as I remember, Rickenbacker has the wood prototype yet. It was on display at their place.
No mention about if the one on Ebay is a hollow neck version, which would be an early one. The bakelite bridge is a mystery to me. Prototype is another over-used word, like "rare" on Ebay.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

The seller is merely going by the usually well informed former owner who listed it as a proto in his book, and spells 'frying' as some Japanese often pronounce it, 'flying'. They tend to reverse R's and L's of the english language.
We don't know this guitar's history, and with the odd appointments and nut placement it's certainly an odd duck from the Rick factory. Prototype? Who here knows for certain? Probably not a '32 proto, but possibly a later experiment.
If it was originally meant for sale I'd be surprised, and would think this was used as a showpiece at shows like NAMM.
The seller is starting at a very reasonable price, no obvious shinanigans, and Barnum would do well by getting this authentic guitar at under 3 Gs. It'll most likely sound much different from a normal pan with these bakelite parts, and maybe better than most, taking off the overtones and sometimes too high end. If I was looking for a 7 string, this would be awesome, dispite the concern and curiousity of a 21 1/4 scale.
Bill, there's a pic of the headstock end, it's hollow.

The Tutmarc Audiovox 7 is another great piece, true steel making history there. (rare :P ) I'll bet it sounds great.
Bud is now also widely credited with the first marketed bass, credit long given to Leo Fender.
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

According to his photo it is a 21 1/8th inch scale but then again we don't know for sure where he is measuring from at the bridge end. They didn't use those knobs until the late 50's, of course that could be a replacement. My guess is that it was an experiment in the 1940's for a budget pan or maybe as a sample for a distributor to sell under a different brand name.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Of course the 7 string was not likely a prototype instrument anyway. Too bad there isn't more history of Rickenbacher from the early years. Most of what we have found out is likely tainted with hear-say etc.
Human nature has an agenda :)
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

The bridge looks like it's from a post-war bakelite in the pics. Sure is an odd ball.
Dave Kolars

The guitar disected (a bit)

Post by Dave Kolars »

Well, this guitar is mine, all mine (bwah ha ha)... Yep, it's an oddball, for sure.

I changed strings on it last week, pulled all the electronics to check for dates and solid solder joints.

It's a wonder that it worked at all! The wires were soldered together nicely, but had a blob of solder on the ends to keep the wires from falling out of the holes in the tabs and were totally loose in the holes in the pot tabs! Could slide up and down about 1/4"!!! The guitar never cut out or made noise, but I re-solded them "gut und tight"!!

Also found that the pot is a 1973 replacement. So, no help there!

The scale is indeed 21 1/8", and the nut and saddle are the standard bakelite that you would find on the N, NS, 59, 100, etc. models.

There is no plate or decal on the headstock or any indication that there ever was one. The end of the hollow neck is left open.

The PU holders have the Pat # on them, indicating post-'37. Original? No way to know!! I'm guessing that it is. THe PU is 1 1/2". And, this guitar has one of the hottest PU's I've ever seen, cleaned up real nice (ivory crinkle finish) and is now my "player". I was playing a '42 Epi Electar 7-string, as it had the most marvelous tone... it will probably become my B11 axe.

I'll be at Winchester Wed & Thurs (have to head home to make it to a gig in IA Fri night), and I'll also have it in Joliet in October. Stop and check it out... Who knows, maybe someone will have some info if I drag it to enough places!?

Also just picked up a Electro Spanish with the Vib-Rola tailpiece added. Wow... what a nice guitar!! It was set up for slide, but I cut a new nut and made it the Spanish it was made to be! I'll have it along as well. dk
We're all so caught up in wanting to sound different, wanting to sound original-- but we should stop trying so hard. We're all unique at birth. We'll come out sounding original without giving it a thought. (Feet Rogers)
Garry Vanderlinde

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

Kudos for an excellent acquisition! :mrgreen:
It really looks like a killer axe…how does the short scale play and what does it sound like as compared to a 22 1/2" scale guitar? 8)
Ron Simpson

Post by Ron Simpson »

Congratulations Dave! I'm looking forward to hearing you play it.
Dave Kolars

Post by Dave Kolars »

@Garry -- I have no problems with the shorter scale, but I play 2-3 different scale instruments already... I found it very easy to adapt to the shorter scale, plus, the harmonics are easier to get!
We're all so caught up in wanting to sound different, wanting to sound original-- but we should stop trying so hard. We're all unique at birth. We'll come out sounding original without giving it a thought. (Feet Rogers)
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Good to hear you have it working good Dave :D
Sure is a strange scale length, but it's what comes out of the speaker that counts!!
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

I'm glad this went to a player. It was my intention to be a contender for this, but my bid was mistyped, for heaven's sake. I just got done playing my fry pan, and I'm wondering what in the heck I would have done with it anyway. I love mine. Sour grapes? Ha! I'm planning on coming by to Winchester, so I hope to see it, Dave, and maybe give it a whirl. What tuning do you have on it?
Al

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Congratulations, DK!

I actually have a copy of the Tsumura book here that I want to sell. I'll try to scan the page later on when I have a minute.
Dave Kolars

Post by Dave Kolars »

@Mike - that's great... there was a pic with the auction, but it was not very good.

@Al -- I'm in C13, L--> H = Bb E G A C E G -- that's the tuning that I got from Bobby Ingano. Sometimes I put 7 to C, as I need that note on certain songs... Looking forward to seeing you at Winchester... and everyone else too!!

I've got an A-25, but since it's only (ONLY?) a 6-string don't play it much...

dk