Shobud Super Pro upgrades-END PLATE, KEYHEAD, CHANGER HOUSE

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Morehead

Shobud Super Pro upgrades-END PLATE, KEYHEAD, CHANGER HOUSE

Post by James Morehead »

We have a Super Pro in to refurbish. Unfortunately the original endplates, keyheads, and changer housings are honey combed with casting air pockets and pinholes. They are "swiss cheezed".

So we have CNC'ed new parts from 6061 aluminum. Here they are in the rough, for those who are fans of the Super Pro/Pro Custom era Shobuds. We make many replacement parts for undercarrage, too, for these guitars.

Last edited by James Morehead on 22 Sep 2010 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Here's the keyheads in the "rough".

James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

The changer housings are close to being finished.

Check out this link to see our endplates for the Professional D10:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 57#1597757
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Stupendous!
John Groover McDuffie

Fingers?

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

Are you planning on making aluminum replacement fingers for the Super Pro (3 raise 2 lower) 'Buds? I would like to replace the pot metal ones on mine. Also Would prefer pins to slots for the ball-end, but I'm sure there are many opinions on that one.
Reed Ohrbom

Me Too Please !!!

Post by Reed Ohrbom »

What John Groover McDuffie Said; Me Too !!!!!

James, what a great service you're providing; Your parts look fantastic, and I've been hoping you would eventually get to the Super Pro versions. I'm going to start saving my pennies for lots of your Super Pro upgrades as they become available, starting with cross-shaft bushings/brackets and changer fingers.

Reed
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Yes on the finger upgrade---AND WITH PINZZZZ!!! Yee Haww!! 8)
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Hey James...
Great stuff. Any more thoughts about the KL's we spoke about?
Another idea that would greatly improve this design...
How about a slightly modified bell crank that can easily be removed from the cross-shaft?
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Dang, you ARE feeling better, Skip!! Yes much thought and many ideas floating aroundmy little pea-brain these dayz.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Yeah, much better. Thanks mucho...
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

James,

I need a couple of 2-holed bell-cranks that fit on a 5/16" cross-shaft (push-pull). I want to use them as leverage multipliers. Will yours work? Please, email me payment directions if you think the bell-cranks will work. Thx,

Tony

p.s. I've still got my Cooped red Pro II, I rebuilt. It sounds and plays great. I do need to figure out a mod to get my LKR situated more towards the rear apron rather than in the midline (see pix). I'm hoping I can squeeze it in between the LKL-E9th and LKL-C6th levers. Lemme know if you have any ideas

(sorry for the double post. I didn't know which thread you'd be more likely to read!) :o
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Hey Tony, shoot me an email at shobud@windstream.net and we will se if we can fix you up. :)
Jack Musgrave

Post by Jack Musgrave »

James, any thoughts on how to come up with adjustable return springs on the later model sho buds? would it require cutting slots in the end casting or is there another method
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Jack Musgrave wrote:James, any thoughts on how to come up with adjustable return springs on the later model sho buds? would it require cutting slots in the end casting or is there another method
Yes, This is also a point of consideration.
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) Excellent James , I'm lookin at acquiring a sd-10 Pro III, if all goes well I will be on your bother list too (lol) as those are some sweet lookin parts bud (no pun intended) hehe :D
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

James
Allow me to make a suggestion to your refurbs of Sho~Bud guitars, especially when new endplates have to be fabricated.

The weakest point of a Sho~Bud, IMHO is the neck selector and mini-switches on the right endplate, my opinion based on the sheer number of broken switches I see on these guitars.

I have a Professional that was originally made with the three switches centered between the necks (a' la Emmons/all modern guitars), with no holes ever in the endplate. It's a far superior place for these delicate components, though it's not original to most guitars you work on.

You're doing the good stuff, James. Sorry I missed you in Dallas.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Funny how we're all different. I prefer slots to pins for the ball ends. I find string installation easier with the slots. Also, I've heard a few stories about pins breaking, and I don't recall ever hearing of a slot breaking (even though the Sho-Bud slotted fingers are pot metal). Might you consider making the fingers with slots as an option?
John Groover McDuffie

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

+1 for the adjustable return springs mod. (I have seen this done to a Sho-Bud with parts ordered from Bruce Zumsteg, and it isn't super complicated.)
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

You got it, Herb. I wish more manufacturers would imitate the Emmons setup with a large solid switcher. Those mini's are just waiting for breakage.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I guess that's a valid point, but I haven't broken either end plate-mounted mini-switch (or the mini-pot) on my Super Pro in 26 years of gigging use.

Meanwhile--James, what about my "slots vs. pins" question?
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Hey Brint, I favor the pin setup. I do think we could possibly do the slots, but it would very likely add to the cost, on a special order. I never liked the slot for the larger C6th strings. But that's just me. I've never seen a broken pin. I have seen a broken out slot. But I have not seen em all yet, either.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Hey James I never knew that they had the extensions on the keyheads. I suppose it was done that way for extra holding power and also for more mass..to improve tone maybe?
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Bent Romnes wrote:Hey James I never knew that they had the extensions on the keyheads. I suppose it was done that way for extra holding power and also for more mass..to improve tone maybe?
Welcome to the Super Pro era, Bent. No, it's just a design idea. The extension goes under the fretboard, and that extending piece is hollow--so it's not about "mass" or "holding power". Just something different during that era.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Here's some endplate finish pictures. This endplate is is 6061 aluminum.

Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Wow, James! Looks like you're settling back in to some great work after the weather-related troubles and displacements. Hoorah!