Gold Tone LS-8?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Sean Ray

Gold Tone LS-8?

Post by Sean Ray »

Hi,
I'm in the market for an 8 string lap steel and I was wondering if anybody has experience with these Gold Tones?

I'm moving over from playing pedal steel and I'm into the Hawaiian approach mostly. So with that in mind I'm thinking an 8 string would be the easiest shift from my C6th Sho~Bud neck.

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

These are fine instruments in my opinion. I don't own one, but if I needed another eight string lap steel, this would be one I'd consider.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

As I recall Andy Volk had some positive things to say about these in his book. I have kicked around the idea of getting one for C6 purposes myself actually.
If Music Be the Food of Love, Play On. -Shakespeare

Post by Sean Ray »

Thanks for the input.
Looks like a nice guitar to kick back on the deck and play some tunes on.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have both the 6 string and the 8 string model.
They are excellent instruments and come with an outstandiang case, you'd be happy. :D
They are patterned after an old Oahu model.
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

Erv Niehaus wrote:I have both the 6 string and the 8 string model.
They are excellent instruments and come with an outstandiang case, you'd be happy. :D
They are patterned after an old Oahu model.
SO if I had a choice between an Oahu Diana and a new Gold Tone... what should I do?

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I think that I would go with a new Gold Tone.
I was never very impressed with the quality of the Oahu guitars. They seemed to be built for mass distribution.
Veli-Pekka Haanmäki

Post by Veli-Pekka Haanmäki »

Sean,I have the 6 string model and like others here,I think they are fine instruments,especially for the price.When I got mine,I compared it with new Fender 6 string lap steel which was less than satisfactory.Only negative thing was with the TKL case: mine was very badly glued inside,I had to repair it myself.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

I'd go for the Diana, myself; if you decide to pass on it let me know. I love those guitars.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

d a choice between an Oahu Diana and a new Gold Tone... what should I do?
I've been sitting here playing a 1952 oahu Diana I got yesterday at a local store. Totally love the sound of it. If yours is as good as mine, go with the Diana.
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

Keith Cordell wrote:I'd go for the Diana, myself; if you decide to pass on it let me know. I love those guitars.
Can't make up my mind
:\ so I will let you know about the opportunity:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

An 8 string Oahu Diana?? :whoa: :eek: :whoa: If it has the string-thru pickup that would be the S#!T!!!

Let me know too if you pass on it.
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

John Groover McDuffie wrote:An 8 string Oahu Diana?? :whoa: :eek: :whoa: If it has the string-thru pickup that would be the S#!T!!!

Let me know too if you pass on it.
That's the thing... it's six string-thru. I want something to learn c6 on. I have a nice custom lap steel but it has a roller nut and really is more designed for open E mostly -- so I want another for c6. I wasn't sure if this would be the one. Diana vs. Bakelite. What would you do?

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

FWIW I have considered getting one of those Gold Tone 8 strings myself. It is encouraging that they have received good reviews in this thread from Brad, Andy, Erv, and Veli-Pakka.

As far as Erv's negative comments about Oahu guitars, I think that the Valco/Supro/Oahu string-thru pickup is the best sounding steel guitar pickup out there, and apparantly Ry Cooder and pickup guru Jason Lollar think it is pretty special too. Yes they were primarily student guitars, but they are still my favorite lap steels.

But.. they didn't make them in 8-string format as far as I know, and I think going with an 8-string would serve you better for learning C6th. Whenever I use a 6th tuning on a 6 string I feel like I am sacrificing a lot.