Beginner's Corner

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Daniels

Post by Mark Daniels »

This thread should definitely be a sticky! So much good info for us newbies.

So far, I've found the Rob Haines Anyone can play e9 pedal steel guitar (Mel Bay) to be of great help. Also the Bruce Bouton DVD.

Mike Archer (on this very forum) also does some great tuition. Lots of patience and replays without losing the momentum of the lesson.

And then there's Mickey Adams' excellent YouTube clips. Very concise, useful and enjoyable.
A newbie with lots to learn
Jack Willis

Post by Jack Willis »

This is a great idea. I am also new at this. this is actually my first posting. I'm sure it will not be my last as I am full of questions.
Mullen SD10 pre RP, Milkman 40w mini steel, Wet reverb mono, Profex II, Yamaha keyboard, lots of books about music theory and PSG.
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

I read all post in the newbie sections and after reading though heres my input for you guys & gals (1) make sure you place the center of your body right at ole say the 14th fret(2)for you all that are having trouble moving from your pedals its all where you place the heal if I know I am only going to be using 3 pedals I myself will place my heal at the third pedal, you can rock your ankle left to right for your a&b pedals and when you want to use your b,c just left your foot up move it over and with that you still can rock it to the left. dont try to make your foot too straight it will also hurt doing that lol(3) turn nothing on but your tuner and play around on the frets picking a string and see how close you are in. do this everyday for a while this will train your ear for the correct tone.(4)hold a salt shaker or a small ball in your right hand lay your hand down on the strings next to the pick up try to look at how that looks and train you hand to form that way so later on your palm blocking with start to work. you will be learning both palm and pick blocking for some songs are for pick blocking while others sound better palm(5)you should have your volume pedal on you pedal rack too many people place the volume pedal to far back thats just my 2 cents on this one, also dont set to far in you want to be able to move your knees with out being to close but yet close enough you can move your knees(6) although I did not see one post that said I too have many you tube videos you can check me out Joe Barcus. mainly intros & turn arounds and a few on scales.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Soon to be announced a newer / intermediate player class / Meet up group will start on the 3rd Sunday of each month in the Austin Texas area provided by the Austin Steel Guitar Co-op.
It helps to have a lesson with a live person.
This allows them to be able look at your technique, posture and over all ability...
and then crack the back of your hand with a yard stick.
Contact me for more info if you are interested..
Danka
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.