I got a record deal.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ray Harrison

Post by Ray Harrison »

Mike, I guess by now that all has been said, but I'll try to add my Congatulations to this great opportunity that you have earned. My very best wishes are sent to you and look forward to your success in this endeavor.
Don't worry about the Tux, the make-up people do wonders. You'll be quite stunning in a Zoot Suit Tux.
My only disappointment in Phoenix was the absence of you and your Trio. I was looking forward to some really great Chamber Music.
Take care, from one of your ex-Mikettes
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Ray Harrison wrote:
My only disappointment in Phoenix was the absence of you and your Trio.
I was disappointed too Ray. I was really looking forward to it.

Given the difficulty of getting both of the other players to make the trip, (One has young children and the other has a very ill mother that needs constant care,) I think next year I will try to get local players from the Phoenix Symphony to play the viola and cello parts.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

Mike,I wonder what your old college music teacher would say if he could see you now! :o
Way to go!!! :D
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Mike, don't forget the cummerbund. :D

Congrats man.... and thanks for all of your contribution to the life of this instrument.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Patrick Carlson wrote:Mike,I wonder what your old college music teacher would say if he could see you now! :o
Way to go!!! :D

Probably "what the^%$%*&^ is that thing?"
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
Rusty Rhoads

Post by Rusty Rhoads »

its really good to see steel guitar expanding into other origins of the music spectrum in my 20s i played stuff no one thought about playing but couldnt play it anywhere on a gig so i just said well play country and try to be the best at it and have my own sound and twist to it and i guess its still working ! For now i will just be another steel player with a million storys till i write a hit song ! :eek:
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

It strikes me that what Mike has done has been to... NOT play country. Back in 2001, I got copies of the old Steel Guitar Magazine (I think Carter or Tom Bradshaw?) and way back, the young 'n' early Paul Franklin and Gary Morse were waxing enthusiastic about fusion, classical, Mahavishnu, the great potential of the PSG... and they ended up playing country, for the most part. I KNOW that they can do many other things, they know it, we all know it - but Mike is DOING it.

It's a hard row to hoe, for sure - Chet Atkins and Jimi Hendrix both got fired for playing weird, and based on some of the chops shown on "Spanish Steel" I'm real sure Mike could tear UP some country if he wanted to - but then, he wouldn't be doing what he's doing, for himself and for ALL OF US. Get weird, and stay weird? :alien:
Cass Broadview

Post by Cass Broadview »

Well done mike. George & i really enjoy your playing. And we thinks it's wonderful how you have taken the steel guitar into yet another direction. What a versatile instrument, and you do it proud. :)
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Good work Mike. I know you've been working towards this all your steel playing life. It's especially sweet in these tough times for the music biz.

Your bud,
Joe
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I have a couple of comments about David and Rusty's posts.

Contrary to what David thinks, I am only an adequate country player, and by no means a great one. I'd probably be a lot better at playing country if I had pursued it, but I didn't. And the price for me to go off in the direction I did, was that I stopped building up my country chops or learning all the latest licks and techniques. I always feel that I'm one of the least accomplished players at our annual L.A. Jam, where we play country for 99% of the time.

Rusty said he thought about playing different kinds of music, but couldn't play it on a gig. I also was unable to play anything other than country on a gig. I had to decide whether I wanted to continue gigging, but give up playing the music I wanted to play, or pursue my musical interests and give up gigging. I could not do both.

I chose to give up gigging, and play the kind of music I really wanted to play. I think I made the right decision.

I have probably done less than half a dozen country gigs during the last 25 years. If I had been gigging steadily all that time I would not have been able to make the CDs, or play with my chamber music trio.

We can do anything we want, but we can't do everything we want.