The Art of Clapping

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dale Bessant

Post by Dale Bessant »

Clapping seems to happen more in a bluegrass crowd than other types of music and as b0b stated after a good solo ride it makes you feel great... better than the pay! :D

PS up here in the great white north it is the same...most crowds just look at you like you have 14 heads?
BMI S-10,3+4,Peavey Vegas 400,15"BW equipped,Goodrich 120,Zoom Studio rack mount-FX,Liberty Resonator,Fender Telecaster,JT-148 Jazz Box,Blueridge BR-180
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

Not to try to sound crude, but one band I worked with years ago became very disenchanted with the word "clap" because that's exactly what half the girls in the audience gave them one night after the show. :eek:

A few weeks later when a guest singer said to the crowd, "Lets give the band a good clap!" the band shuddered visibly at the utterance of that word. :lol:
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Scott:

The music in question was so-called 'classic country', but my point was that they were being told to applaud. I think our worthy leader was trying to artificially create an atmosphere, and it was thoroughly false and embarrassing (to me, at any rate).

As b0b says, there's nothing quite as satisfying as spontaneous appreciation, and that can occur with any musical genre; more commonly expected in a jazz setting, of course, but possible anywhere. I've had it a handful of times in fifty years of plying pro, which is why I hated to see it devalued in the situation I described. When it happns or the right reasons it's a great feeling to know that something you've played has affected someone in a positive - and hopefully uplifting 8) - way....
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I think clapping is for after the song and not during. Nothing gets on my nerves like seeing singers on stage reach their arms above their head and shout out "put your hands together" and start clapping to the beat of the music. I'd rather see each member of the audience bring a banjo and play it while the band is performing.

:)
Scott Shewbridge

Post by Scott Shewbridge »

Hey Rojer, I'm sure the guy you're talking about was over the top. On some shows though, I have played with and or seen front men and women that did a good job getting the audience to rise to the occaision. I've even used some of it myself (you know - How's everyone doin' tonight? mumble, mumble, mumble. Oh my mic wasn't on :wink: I said, How's everyone doin' tonight? GREAT :lol: ). I think Bob Wills did quite a bit of this. Again, I'm sure your fella was over the top, but I do think some prodding of the audience, when done properly, is to everyone's benefit.
Tom Keller

Post by Tom Keller »

I have noticed that in clubs used to instrumentalist they may applaud after each player breaks. This is generally true of blue grass,hot acoustic or what ever and generally happens in listening room kinda bars such as the station Inn. I notice in
our standard country bars applause is scarce and almost never after a break. I like to think that some kinds of music draws a more insightful and appreciative listener.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Rick Campbell wrote:I'd rather see each member of the audience bring a banjo and play it while the band is performing. :)
<center>
( ( ( ( shudder ) ) ) )
</center>
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

Stephen Silver wrote:Josh, great to hear that you are a busy guy!!

A geat, but rather forward response, I have often used when there is a dearth of applause.

"Applause is like a meal to musicians....thanks for the snack"

Use it at your own risk.....smiles

SS

I LIKE THAT!