Voltage spike protection question

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Paschall

Voltage spike protection question

Post by Jim Paschall »

Just had my Furman PL-8 go out and it looks like it may have taken out my Stereo Steel Amp. My computer and other equipment is running off a APC and they're ok. If it was a line voltage spike I would have expected the Furman Power Conditioner to catch it...No?

Curious to know what kind, or if any spike protection others are using.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Jim
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I use this rather high end Furman voltage regulator and protection unit. I'm not going to take a chance with my equipment. I played a Hawaiian set at an old opera house last Saturday and I would have been scared to plug in without some sort of indication as to the power supply.

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Surge protector devices, whether a Furman device (any model with surge protection) or some other brand, can fail it it's had a large surge before. Once it's taken a power surge (how big ??) the device has done it's job and can be at the point that it can't protect on another surge. Sadly, there is no way to tell. In the case of the PL8, it's a discontinued model which suggests it's been around for a while and who knows how many or what type of power surges it has protected in the past.

We never (or rarely) do it, but surge protector power strips should be periodically replaced just "in case".

Most surge protectors have some sort of warranty and guarantee of up to whatever stated $$ amount for damage. I don't know how you would go about proving it or getting any $$ out of one. Also, most homeowners policies have some power type damage clauses so also check that out.
Surge protector
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Jim -

Re: Irv and Jack's posts.

Read and heed.

Respectfully,

Richard