Junior Martin's Tuesday night Jam

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bill Stafford

Junior Martin's Tuesday night Jam

Post by Bill Stafford »

The state of Louisiana does not have to take the back seat to any other state with the quality of talented steel guitarist and musicians that I had the opportunity to sit in with this past Tuesday evening.
I wish to thank Milton Guilbeaux and Jr. Martin for inviting myself and R.J. Buras to participate in this session at the Martin Accordion Factory. Getting to rub elbows with all these players and Pee Wee Whitewing and Buck Grantham was very good for some of their "licks" rubbing off on me.(Hopefully, anyway). Joe Rogers, Richard Comeaux, Buck Grantham, really gave us a great "ride" with all their great playing. These guys can play on any stage anywhere they want to. It was a grand night of music appreciation for me. Thanks for the invitation Milton and Jr. I want to extend the invitation for all of you guys to attend our next session (DSSGA) in Gulfport on Aug. 6. We will have a Louisiana Appreciation Celebration at this event to show the world that great players come from that wonderful state. Thanks again.

Bill Stafford
Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

Yes, I'm always ready to go over there and play with all the guys . Joe,Richard,Milton and Junior are first class people and great players. Being with them makes me want to play better and I learn a lot from them. And Tony, what can I say ,,he's one of the best. And a great big Thanks to the back up band for being there for us. They did great. I was real pleased to get to see Pee Wee Whitewing there. It was all just like family for us,, a great time. Buck & Mitzi
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

If I had known who all was going to be over there, I would have changed my strings and put on a clean pair of picks (plus practiced up a bit). Bill, I always enjoyed hearing you play at the convention back when I had the time to make the trip. It was a pleasure getting to see & hear you up close. It was also a pleasure to meet and hear R. J. Buras. I just got word tonight confirming that we are in fact related.

Buck, it is always a treat getting together with you and the rest of the gang. You and Richard are getting way more practice time in than I am. I second the round of applause for the backup band. They did a superb job.

I hope to be free the weekend of the Gulfport show, look forward to it. Thanks for the invitation.

Jr, thanks so much for opening up the shop last night. It was a blast!!!

Joe Rogers
Roland Buras
Location: Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA

Post by Roland Buras »

What a treat for me, a Louisiana boy from the downhome swamps of Buras Louisiana.. i new there were good musicians in LA. just moved away to soon to meet any of them, and man did i, at the Junior martin's Steel guitar Jam Tuesday night in Lafayette Louisiana. I want to thank Mr Milton Gilbeaux for inviting us to the Jam. Mr Miton that was the first Aligator i have eaten since i was a boy down home in Venice La, It was a very common thing to walk outside early in the morning and see aligators all over the front yard with uncles and relatives sitting on there backs skinning them out from the nights gator hunt for the hide. Thanks to Mr. Junior Martin for his hospitality and love for the steel guitar. I was very honered to be able to sit down with pros, like Buck Granthum, Bill Stafford, Joe Rodgers and Richard Comeaux and play some steel. especially with some of the great steel players in the audience, like PeeWee Whitewing, Martin Gilbeaux and others. I can tell you the band that performed the music for the steelers do not come any better. Tony Broussard on that piano led the session like a pro. and done some fantastic singing and playing. So Like Bill, we would like to invite all the musicians and friends to the Gulfport Steel guitar show. It will be an honor for you guy's in Lafayette to be with us in Gulfport for a Louisiana Night of good downhome music. Mr Bill It sure made my head swell when Mr PeeWee gave me a "THUMBS UP" after playing Danny Boy. Looking forward to seeing everyone August 6th at the Gulfport Steel show.

R J BURAS
Excel SD12 8x5
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

Junior and I go back a bit. I'm glad to see he is hosting a steel guitar jam at his accordion factory. Someday, I'll load up the old Mullen D-10 and come down to jam with him. I also have two of his Cajun accordions. They are the best.

Michael Breid
a.k.a. Arkansas Red
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Stoney Stonecipher

Post by Stoney Stonecipher »

I would loved to have been there. Junior Martin is one of my favorite people. He is a good steel player. All that were on the show are great musicians.
Milton Guilbeau

Post by Milton Guilbeau »

Those were kind words from B&B, Bill, Buck and others. The pleasure was all ours having you two on our ‘Fais-Do-Steel jam. A fun night in Louisiana is called a ‘Fais-Do-Do’, hence, I labeled our good time Tuesday evening a ‘Fais-Do-Steel’. Bill, you failed to compliment R.J. Buras, who claims he has been ‘stealing’ for only five years. Is he truthful? He plays too well for that short period.

I was asked to name the guys that appeared on the bandstand (garage). Tony Bruce, MC, keyboard and vocals, Terry Huval and Ken David - fiddles, Thomas David - upright bass, Gary Granger - lead guitar, Randy Champagne - rhythm guitar, Gary Breaux - drums and Oran Guidry, Jr. - electric bass. Oran, Jr. is the son of the late Oran “Doc” Guidry, our famous LoUiSiAna fiddler who worked a lot with Governor Jimmie Davis. Texas had Cliff Bruner, LoUiSiAna had Doc. Joe Rogers also did some 'harping', (harmonica). A multi-talented young man who was raised in L.A., that is, Lake Arthur, LoUiSiAna. You may remember him touring with McBride & The Ride, Larry Stewart, Lagard Twins, Brain White and others.

Anyhow, like we say it and write it in Cajunland, “Tank u 2 much fer comin’.”

------------------
"One never retires from music, any more than one retires from breathing."
Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

Milton, thanks so much for all the kind words. We had a very enjoyable time and hope to be invited back.
R.J. and I were just glad to bave been there with all you wonderful folks. Yes, R.J. is a relative newcomer to the pedal steel guitar and has really been making inroads with this instrument in a short period of time. Of course his previous blues playing on guitar was his forte for years and he is able to transfer this style to his steel guitar. One to be reckoned with in the near future, if not already. I am honored that he chose to visit with me for instructions- now I am the one listening to him for new licks, etc. Both of us were just glad to be there in that circle of great players. Thanks again.
And our next event in Gulfport sponsored by the Deep South Steel Guitar Assoc. will be in recognition of all the pickers from Louisiana. You are all invited! Make it a Louisiana Celebration Day-a good way to follow up our last event where we celebrated Jerry Bryd's life. Hopefully I will be able to arrange for Johnny Bonnevilain (sp?) to bring his steel and give us all lessons. Maybe you guys could help twist his arm. That would be a big event for all us steel guitar players. Date will be Aug 6-all day.
Call it a "Louisiana fais-do in Mississippi" or a name of your choice. Just let me know.
Bill Stafford
Doug Childress

Post by Doug Childress »

Milton, next time you have a jam let me know. Remember I know where you live!!!

Doug
Roland Buras
Location: Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA

Post by Roland Buras »

Mr Junior Martin, again thanks for the Lafayette steel jam , I met a lot of new friends as well as a Buras Cousin "Joe Rodgers" We or looking forward to the Louisiana Steel Day here in Gulfport Mississippi August 6th. Our way along with Club President "Ben Odell" and Bill Stafford and the Gulfport Steel Club of saying Thanks to all Louisiana Musicians. Please feel free to invite your friends to this occajunsion.
Also I would like to say something here about a beautiful Steel guitar i looked at, at Juniors place. It was a Beautiful DBL neck with 14K Gold Plating on the keys , rods, Footpedals, Knee levers, The Guitar was A PEDALMASTER made by Mr Roy Thompson of that area and i understand that Mr Junior Made the Body and frame in his Famous Accordion Shop. Mr Roy That is one Piece of Artwork. Looking forward to seeing you guy's in August.

Sincerely;

R J Buras