Tunable split on a Blanton guitar?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Parins

Tunable split on a Blanton guitar?

Post by Bob Parins »

Hello good people!

I'm wondering if it's possible to do a tunable split on a Blanton Guitar.

Specifically, on an E9 neck, I'd like to have my 6th string come down to F# with LKR, up to A with my B pedal and in-tune on a G with both engaged. I have my Carter set up this way with an extra rod, I wonder if something similar would work on the Blanton Changer. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Parins
Bob Parins

Post by Bob Parins »

Here's a couple pictures of the changer. They're pretty dark, not sure if you can make it out or not, I wanted to get these up for those of you who aren't familiar with how they work.

For each string there is a place to put a hooked rod for raising and one for lowering. Similar to a modern changer, but with a hooked rod instead of a rod threaded into a nylon nut.

Bob Parins

Post by Bob Parins »

Would it work like this? I can't imagine what would behave differently, but I don't understand how this works either!

Thanks guys for taking a look at this.

richard burton

Post by richard burton »

If there is only the capacity for one rod going to the raise section of the finger, then that rod would have to be utilised (somehow) to get the split.

On paper, it looks easy :lol:

A collar fastened somewhere on the raise rod, and a bellcrank (which pushes the collar) linked to the knee lever that lowers the sixth, should do it.

The theory is this:

Tune string open to G# (no pedals or levers) at the keyhead

Press pedal B and tune string to A using whatever system the Blanton has (is it tuned by winding the bellcrank connector up or down?)

Press pedal B and activate knee lever, and tune string to G using bellcrank on knee lever cross-shaft

Now, release pedal and lever, then activate the lever again.
The string should be flat of F#, and this is where you bring it back up to tune using the aforementioned bellcrank and collar.
Bob Parins

Post by Bob Parins »

Richard-

thanks for lending me your brain on this. I think you've nailed it! Hopefully I have enough extra collars and things to do it. I'll try your solution this week and report back.

Cheers!

Bob
Bob Parins

Post by Bob Parins »

Here's what I came up with following Richard's line of thought (above).

If you look for the O shape in the picture, you'll see a part from an Emmons guitar linking a bell-crank to a longer rod.

The bell-crank is attached to the cross-shaft from the lever which lowers the note a whole step (from G# to F#) and is attached via collars to the B pedal which raises the note by 1/2 step (to A).

The result is that when the lever is engaged by itself It can only go as far as I let it go depending on how the extra bellcrank is adjusted. Voila! it works: an in-tune G note when the two are engaged at the same time. The lever is a little stiff, but I think it's gonna work for me.

I spoke to Jerry Blanton briefly today who said that he's done a lot of screwing around with half-stops and splits over the years, but usually ends up taking them out and just finding another place to play the notes. 8)

Cheers,

Bob