Emmons Guitar S/N & Initial (?) [Mystery Solved]

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Bechtel

Emmons Guitar S/N & Initial (?) [Mystery Solved]

Post by John Bechtel »

Can anyone tell me what the initial designates? Examples: 1234 (D) or 1234 (L). Thanks a bunch! Just curious! My Legrande II guitar is a Double-10, with a (D), but I see them advertised on this Forum with an (L).
Last edited by John Bechtel on 2 May 2010 11:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster
Jim Park

Letter designations

Post by Jim Park »

Hi John,

I believe that the letter following the serial # denotes the type of guitar, ie D= double neck Push pull and L = Legrande all pull lets hope an Emmons guru clears this up........I need some schoolin too!!
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I don't think that explains it, because; my Lashley Legrande II has a (D) following the S/N!
NEXT!!!!
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

If there is a D with the serial number on a LeGrande, then the system has changed. The D on a push pull signified a double neck. LeGrande guitars only used xxxL for the SKH and LxxxL for Lashley LeGrande models.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Could the end plate gave been changed? Will a key head side end plate interchange on a PP and leGrande?
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Well, I'm new to Emmons and their various models. My Emmons is supposed to be a ’98 model. I'm still a little cornfused, because; the front-apron decal reads Lashley Legrande II, but; the S/N reads xxxx D (???) I assumed, before I asked any questions; that the (D) on my guitar meant Double~Neck, but; now I'm not sure how to think, having now heard about the (L)! That is what has caused my confusion! (D) & (L)
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

A 1200 serial # should make it a 93ish. They were in the 1800's by 98. One exception would be if you have an unusual colored mica cabinet that sat on the shelf for a long time before being finished. This happens.

bb
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

My Lashley LeGrande 11 D10 8x5 is a 92 model and the serial # is 937L. Jack
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Jack Strayhorn wrote:If there is a D with the serial number on a LeGrande, then the system has changed. The D on a push pull signified a double neck. LeGrande guitars only used xxxL for the SKH and LxxxL for Lashley LeGrande models.
Jack
Okay, while I know about PP serial numbers, I'm a little behind the curve on LeGrandes.

I have a Lashley LeGrande, D10, long keyhead/long body, 4-hole bellcranks, 9p/8k, and serial no. 511L.

Year? Early model Lashley LG? Anything you could add?
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

OK, here's my exact situation!
Red = Emmons Lashley Legrande II S/N 1027 D. Now, where am I with this good looking, good sounding psg? Now what does the (D) mean? That's what I'm curious about! Check Here
Louis Falardeau

Post by Louis Falardeau »

Herb, I ordered 511L new with 9 & 8 and took delivery on 3/11/88. This model was made for a few years between the SKH and the 14 hole bell cranks Regards, Louis
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

Jack S.
Am I correct in thinking all SKH key heads were 2 piece?

Bob :)
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

My U-12 has 4 digits with no letter...
6746... what does that make it? 81-82
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Louis
You have an email coming...
Herb
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

It seems as though we have more questions than answers!!! I'm still wondering what a Red ’98 Lashley Legrande II with a S/N 1027 D indicates!!
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

John Bechtel wrote:It seems as though we have more questions than answers!!! I'm still wondering what a Red ’98 Lashley Legrande II with a S/N 1027 D indicates!!
I can't say about the D. But if you have a Derby red mica 98 model with serial # 1027. That means someone told a fib.

Just call the Lashley's. They answer the phone Monday thru Thursday.If Jack Strayhorn doesn't know, it was built while he was there. No one else is going to.
bb
Terry Sneed

Emmons

Post by Terry Sneed »

Bobby Boggs, don't quite understand. What would the fib be, year model?

terry
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

The SKH was actually three pieces. A 500 series number would have to be late 80's very early 90's. The serial number with a D is a mystery. We did not put a D with serial number during my years there, 87' through 99'.
Harry Dove

Post by Harry Dove »

I have an Emmons single neck on a double frame with serial #564L so I guess that would make it a 1990 + or - a year or two. I would like to add some changes to this guitar. Anyone know where I can get some parts for that?
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Harry, Emmons guitar Co. should have any part you need. They can be a little slow to deliver. I have new 14 hole bellcranks and knee levers kits for LeGrandes.Also the 1/2 tone feel assembles. No PP Parts.
bb
John Bechtel

Mystery Solved!!!

Post by John Bechtel »

Well, it l©©ks like I created the mystery and now I just solved it also! Big John made a Big Mistake! I just went back to recheck the S/N on my (’98) Emmons Lashley LeGrande II and the number is indeed 1027 L. Happy Days are here again! Tra-La-La, Ta-La-La! I must have had my eyes crossed before!
Harry Dove

Post by Harry Dove »

Thanks Bobby. Anyone know who is running the company now and who is building the guitars? How about how long it takes to get one made? I am thinking of buying a new guitar. Emmons and Zum are both on my short list.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Ron Jr. owns the Co. and is the primary builder. Though I understand he has subbed a few to likes of master builder Mike Cass.

If you're interested in a new Zum Hybrid? Maybe i can help.Regards.
bb
Larry Moore

Post by Larry Moore »

I have a LeGrande II D-10 8-5 I bought new(2001) when Jim Aycoth was still with Emmons. The S/N # is 2046-L if this helps
My PP has a D after the # (1153-D)
Larry
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

That's interesting: my black D-10 was delivered to me new in October, 2000. Its number is 2085-L - that's a higher s/n than yours, Larry, yet made earlier....
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------