ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

I'll quote me again...
OH MY!!! Russ, you have squarely stepped in it. Great score. Play it in great health, my friend.
I love the sound of a '69 ZB whether it be red, or blue
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Russ Tkac

Zb SD-10

Post by Russ Tkac »

Joe,

I know from a ZB catalog from the late 70's that Tom made SD-10's, 11's and 12's as a standard line product and would assume, because he played them, he made them earlier too.

Duncan,

Whatever made you sell that blue one? I still ask myself why I sold the 71 D-10 and the 80 D-11/10. Oh well.

Larry,

Thanks so much for starting this thread so many years ago. I never tire of reading about the ZB's

Russ
Bob Adams

Post by Bob Adams »

Me neither! This may turn into that blue one!

It belonged to our UK hero Mr Gordon Huntley that picture shows Gordon's friend Frank Bloomfield playing it. he owned it after Gordon passed away, it is now with me! The big question is!!!! ....What would you have me do with it? ....Leave it as it is! Or make it the ‘Dog’s Bollocks! Restoring it to its former glory! ..

Your thoughts!gentlemen! I'll be with Frank in a couple of weeks! ?? So let us know what you would have us do with this piece of history! !!

You too Duncan! :) :( :)
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Darn, Bob, I forget what a handsome devil that Frank is/was. Russ, as far as selling the blue '69 ZB, don't get me started, cause I always end up in some sort of tirade about what a meany Joe Camacho is and find myself sobbing uncontrollably in a corner like a girl. Anyway, I sold the blue one because at the time, I thought I wanted a Fulawka more... at least I think that was what I thought at the time, but I probably should have thunk it through more.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

Duncan Hodge wrote:I'll quote me again...
OH MY!!! Russ, you have squarely stepped in it. Great score. Play it in great health, my friend.
I love the sound of a '69 ZB whether it be red, or blue
Duncan
Ha! I played a gig with that blue one last night through my 68 Deluxe Reverb, thanks again Duncan, the ladies love it.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Joe...sniff...please call 911 and tell them that Duncan is going to kill himself, and also, please add that it's all your fault. (To all concerned Forumites, please note that I am not really going to kill myself, I'm just having some fun with my friend Joe. To those who wish I was indeed serious...sorry)
Duncan
P.S.: Joe, the red one sounds better anyway, nanny, nanny boo boo!!!
Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

Duncan Hodge wrote:Joe...sniff...please call 911 and tell them that Duncan is going to kill himself, and also, please add that it's all your fault. (To all concerned Forumites, please note that I am not really going to kill myself, I'm just having some fun with my friend Joe. To those who wish I was indeed serious...sorry)
Duncan
P.S.: Joe, the red one sounds better anyway, nanny, nanny boo boo!!!
No way Jose, the C6 neck on the blue guitar is the better sounding neck.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

What's this C6 neck of which you speak? Do you mean I sent you a pedal steel with two (2) necks. If so, then I believe I was defrauded and will have to ask you to send double the amount that I originally asked for, If not, then sir, as a Southern Man I have no other alternative than to demand satisfaction and call you out to settle this matter I say, I say....mutter...mutter,
Respectfully,
Col Duncan "Beauregard" Hodge, (ret)
Last edited by Duncan Hodge on 28 Apr 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Hard to believe that this steel is 41 years old. The steel sounds really strong too.

Paul Frank Bloomfield

Post by Paul Frank Bloomfield »

Russ. that ZB looks as good,if not better, than a
Rolls Royce ! If, as it seems, my mate Bob is going
to revitalise my old blue 'un it will be a masterpiece of engineering and I'll probably want it back !
Duncan, you are like me, we all make mistakes concerning guitars,and the ultimate is flogging a ZB ! At least thanks to all the guys we have a bountiful supply of photo's of these magnificent beasts !
I have a photo of my first pro ZB, an SD -10 factory
made with no holes in the C6th changer end (I wonder
what ever happened to that guitar ?),it had a nice red velvet arm rest
All the best ZB'ers
Frank. Corfu
" The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you've finished "
ZBSD-10,ZB D-11/10, Franlin Tele,Epiphone customised Les Paul, 'Fender pro 185 amp.
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

I love to post on this thread and just waller in the ZBs.
Several years ago I had a friend who was a retired truck
driver, a little rough around the edges and to look at him
you might think he had no sense. He loved to dabble with
pedal steels and loved to hear them played. He came to me
and told me he had found the best sounding steel in the business. At the time I had a ShoBud and was convinced it
was the best. He told me about this D11/10 ZB. I looked at
it and decided without playing it he was crazy. He passed
and I had an chance to get a Zane and I've been playing one ever since. Pib Lovelace was his name and I miss his
wit and general common smarts. Brother you can't judge a
book.....steel or man.
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Post by Paul Frank Bloomfield »

Cheers Chuck ! I think I'll have a look through my
photgraphic archives and put together all the ZB's
I've owned and post 'em for the guys to drool over
( You listening Duncan ?). Will sort them out on the weekend.
All the best, Frank. Corfu
" The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you've finished "
ZBSD-10,ZB D-11/10, Franlin Tele,Epiphone customised Les Paul, 'Fender pro 185 amp.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

ZB Custom and amp in Nashville.
ZB Here
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Russ, I didn't think that there were any of those Standel ZB amps around anymore. Very rare. Are the boards potted?
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Not sure. It's for sale in Nashville. You might give them a ring.

The steel looks a bit like my 1971 ZB.

Russ
Bobby Burns

Post by Bobby Burns »

I assume that's at Bobbe Seymore's Steel guitar Nashville? I didn't see it on the web page, so I thought I'd better ask.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

From what I understand the boards in those amps were potted and cannot be worked on.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Looks, beautiful Russ, but it might could use a couple, or three, more knee levers Not that I would know what to do with more than two knees (apparantly, Jerry G. only had two on his ZB until he let Peter Grant have it), anyway, I only have two knees, one of which is sore right now, so functionally, I have only one functional knee, but maybe someone with 3, or even better 4 functional knees could find a use for a few more knee levers... just a thought.
Have a beautiful night Russ!
Duncan
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

That package is at least $1000.00 over priced.
Bob Hamilton

Forum Donation

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Hi y'all, if anyone is interested, there are a couple of pics of the ZB I "won" on the Forum auction a few months ago. Look in the Pedal Steel section for "ZB Forum Donation- under the red paint"
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Kevin, I agree with you. It is quite a bit overpriced and the amp is a bit of a non issue for me. But depending on how long they've had it ... they might be motivated.

Here is the business end on my ZB. Greg does nice work!:)

Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

I know this is Joe's ZB now but it was listed in my saved pictures as DuncanZB.:) This too is Greg's work.

B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

Those ZB amps are from the Bakersfield days. They were built by the Risson Company for Tom Brumley, not Standel. They are scarce. Mrs Brumley has one of Tom's ZB amps that he used with Rick Nelson, for sale.

Greg
Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

Russ Tkac wrote:I know this is Joe's ZB now but it was listed in my saved pictures as DuncanZB.:) This too is Greg's work.

Thanks Russ,
Funny I never realized that it used to have black fretboards. Greg did an incredible job on that guitar, sounds better everytime I play it.