RIP Phil Coontz!! funeral details added

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ted Emmons

Post by Ted Emmons »

I was so saddened to hear about Phil. I had just filled in for him on a gig Sat night in Gainsville, Mo. and wish I could've talked to him one more time. I first met Phil in 1985 when I was playing at the Hitchin Post in Springfield Mo. and we brought Moe Bandy in for a show. Then in 91 when I was playing for Jeanne Pruitt and Buck Trent. Moe moved to Branson and we got to be friends. He often sat in other places I played and it was always fun and a privelege to have a steel player of Phil's caliber to sit in and back me up when I was singing instead of having to try to back myself up on steel. When I needed to convert my album from cassettes to cd's Phil let me do it in his studio and didn't want anything for it, I finally got him to take 50 dollars. Heaven will be a sweeter place to be with Phil playing in the band. Good Bye Old Friend Ted Emmons
ESnow

Phil

Post by ESnow »

I too was very shocked when John Harper called and told me the sad news last night. Phil and I have been great friends since '92. He was not only a great musicain/singer but you couldn't ask for a better more loyal friend than Phil. He was always the first one I called when I needed a sub. My son even got to play drums with Phil for a couple seasons at the Keepin It Country show. This is the sadest day I've had since I lost my parents, I will miss Phil deeply. This just proves you never know what tomorrow will bring and we should never take our dear friends for granted.
Phil, I will always have a place in my heart for you and I will never forget you. RIP.
Eddie Snow
Dana Stewart

Post by Dana Stewart »

I am just now seeing this bit of news and I am so sad and shocked. I sure dread telling Austin this. We have not known Phil but a few years, but we liked and respected him. He always took time to talk with Austin and Austin really liked him. What a great loss to the steel guitar world.
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

I am numb, and my heart is so sad.Phil has been my buddy, for over 35 years, having met him in Norfolk,Virginia.
I always enjoyed seeing him, and visiting with him.He was a fun person, and a talent that I enjoyed.
RIP dear friend.You shall be missed greatly.
Peace and love and prayers to your family, and family of friends.
RP...'come on in'...
Eddie Lane

Post by Eddie Lane »

What a shock!! Phil was one of my best buddies. He was the same every day. This is a big, big loss to the steel guitar world. May God keep Phil.
Rich Mounce

Post by Rich Mounce »

I am so sad to hear about Phil. He was a friend and one of the really true good guys I have met over the years in this business. I am so glad I had the chance to have lunch with him a few month's ago when he was on a gig in Jacksonville, Il. He will be missed by so many. RIP Phil...
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

RIP Phil.
Larry Hamilton

Post by Larry Hamilton »

This is sad news indeed. I was looking forward to hearing him play in a couple when we come to Branson. My God be with Phil and his family at this extremely sad time.
Keep pickin', Larry
Bill Stafford

Phil

Post by Bill Stafford »

This is terrible news. Our world lost another great person, good friend and a wonderful musician. Condolences to the family and all his close personal friends. He will be missed so much. RIP Phil, my friend. Thanks for all the memories you have left for all of us.
We will have a special program for you at our Deep South show in June. Go with God, Phil.
Bill Stafford
Jim Means

Sad news

Post by Jim Means »

This is very sad news. Phil was a great player, singer and person. He was one of my favorites at the steel shows. He sure made that old Sho-Bud sound good. I seen him the first time years ago with Mo Bandy in Branson. Got a chance to meet him after the show and he was a very nice fellow. Condolences and prayers for his family and close friends.

Jim and Helen Means
Musicians have to play.....They really have no choice
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

This is such sad and shocking news. He was a good player and singer. Very nice man. He was kind enough to come to Terry Bethel's house with Dean Holman when Austin was getting started and they all help Austin. Our thoughts and prayers will be with the Family.

Donna & Jerry
Bob Brenner

Post by Bob Brenner »

We are so very sad to hear of Phil's death. We met him in Branson and enjoyed each visit with him. Such a great personality and showman. His playing, good ole country singing, and down-to-earth personality was a pleasure to experience. We were planning to go to a show in Iowa this weekend because Phil would be there, knowing if he played it would be one of the best.

May the Good Lord wrap his arms around us all to ease the pain leaving us with only precious memories.

Bob & Martha Brenner
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

I am shocked and sad about this news. Phil was a great steel player and great person.

He played at our annual steel show here two years ago and everyone just loved him!

Sorry to hear this, and prayers for his loved ones and friends.

Terry Wood
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

Like everyone, Phil was a good friend, and will be sadly missed. We know he is in God's hands.
Larry Baker & Jean DeVore
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Bill Bailey

Rip Phil

Post by Bill Bailey »

:( Sometimes it is scary looking at the Gone Home Section of this forum, I was shocked to the core when I red about Phil. I met him in Lake Tahoe when he was with Mel Tillis playing at Harrahs. He was so open and kind, he took me up to the stage to check out his Marrs between shows, and was interested in what I was doing as well. While visiting with Mel, he commented on how much he appreciated Phil's steel playing. I am so sorry I will never get to see him here again. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family and friends, who were closer to Phil than I was. Rest in peace Phil.
Bill Bailey
Kingman Arizona
2014 Mullen G2 D 10 8+5 Black
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Very sad news. I had heard his name several times over many years and just got aquainted with him two years ago. We exchanged many funny stories about our mutual late friend, Dale Hopkins. Phil was a phenominal player and he'll be missed.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

What a tragedy. Our prayers go out to his friends and family.

Donna & Tommy Dodd
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Milt Quackenbush

Phil

Post by Milt Quackenbush »

So saddened to hear of the passing of our wonderful friend, and picker, Phil. Your music will be missed Phil, as much as your friendship. The world has lost a good one. Our condolences and prayers to the family. RIP mate.
Chad Jones

Post by Chad Jones »

I was very surprised like everyone else to hear of Phils death. Charlie Barnett and I were just talking about him..Heaven now has one more steel player! My prayers go out to the family..
Chad Jones

Steelin The Show Radio Program
www.heartlandradionetwork.com
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I just got on here and saw this. Susie and I are saddened to hear the news. We just had him at our show this year. What a player and nice guy. RIP Phil.
Tom Pickett Jr

phil

Post by Tom Pickett Jr »

mega dido's craig, im sorry i missed your show, but i did get to see phil with wade and russ wever a couple of weeks ago. he will be missed :cry:
hang in there russ and all his friends, family
Ray Riley

Fine steel guitarist passes

Post by Ray Riley »

1 Branson. com MO Forum

Old Today, 01:00 PM #1
lightingal

Phil Coontz
I hate to be the one to post this, and I'm not sure if this is where it belongs.

Branson has lost one of her best entertainers.

Phil Coontz was one of the best entertainers you'll ever see. When I first met him, he came to town with Moe Bandy in 1991, as the steel player. He was also a phenomenal bass player! He has played with most of the best entertainers in town, as well as Johnny Lee, Mel Tillis, The Kendalls, and the legendary Jean Shepherd and countless others.

God bless you Phil. You will be missed. You are dearly loved by all who knew you. Including me.
Joe Jones

Phil Coontz

Post by Joe Jones »

HAS FUNERAL ARRANGEMENT BEEN MADE WHEN/WHERE/TIME. JOE JONES
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

I was sickened to read this news. Phil was a great player but also a very friendly humble gentleman. I am glad that I had the privilege to play several steel shows with him over the last few years and got to know him. I personally am having a hard time with this as I know so many others are. Life is so fragile.
Jerry
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

What sad news this is. My prayers and condolences go out to his family.

RIP, Phil

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria