What exactly does a "Franklin Pedal" do?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeremy Allen

What exactly does a "Franklin Pedal" do?

Post by Jeremy Allen »

I'm relatively new to the steel guitar world and have noticed that many people have a 4th pedal on their single neck guitars. I'm assuming that this is the Franklin pedal. What exactly does this do? Also, is this different than producing a "Franklin Change" with the knee levers? Thanks. I hope someone understands what I'm trying to get at. ;-)
Williams SD-10 3x5, Beard MA-6 Dobro, Lazy River Weissenborn, Goodall GC Spruce/Rosewood
Jeremy Allen

Ooopppps

Post by Jeremy Allen »

OOPPPPS...I guess I should have looked below. Looks like someone already asked this recently.
Williams SD-10 3x5, Beard MA-6 Dobro, Lazy River Weissenborn, Goodall GC Spruce/Rosewood
Ryan Barwin

Post by Ryan Barwin »

The Franklin pedal lowers the 5th and 10th strings a whole tone from B to A, and lowers the 6th string a whole tone from G# to F#. It doesn't matter whether you've got all three pulls on one pedal (usually a zero pedal or a 4th pedal) or if you've got it split between two levers (e.g. the 5 and 10 lower on LKV and the 6 lower on RKL). The "Franklin change" effect is the same, (though there's definite advantages to being able to use them separately.)