Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Vista and Windows 7

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Jack Stoner

Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Vista and Windows 7

Post by Jack Stoner »

Here is a link to download the tweaker, as close to the old TweakUI that was for older OS' that's available.

CLICK ME

CAUTION Use at your own risk
. Tweaker programs can change many Operating System features and parameters so if you are going to use these, set a System Restore point first as a precaution. System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Jack,

I always liked those previous TweakUIs.

But I'm leary now as you've cautioned. I already found a way to get rid of a big prime nuisance that heretofore could only be accomplished with TweakUI - those annoying shortcut arrows on your desktop icons. There's a W7 program that does just that.

But to the point: Are there explanations (at least a little in-depth, unless otherwise obvious) as to what all the Tweak options can do?

I'm thinking of downloading it, but I'm treading lightly these days. I've already burned up a lot of PC stuff in the past.

Thanks Jack.
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5; Keyless; Natural Blonde Laquer.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

bump
Chip
John Cipriano

Post by John Cipriano »

They're called overlays... here's something specifically for that.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/

And from what I can tell Ultimate Windows Tweaker that Jack linked will do it as well.

You guys know the GodMode trick?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10423985-56.html
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

John,

Thanks for the link to the 'GodMode'. That's cool.

"Framework" was exactly what I was referring to. I already got it and have used it.

8)
Chip
John Cipriano

Post by John Cipriano »

Whoops, somehow I jumped over the part where you said it was solved.

In general now I stay away from tweaks, not because I don't like them but because most of the time I'm on Windows I'm fixing someone else's computer so it's easier if I don't get too comfy with alternate looks. I usually install the Royale theme though. It's similar to what XP Media Center uses IIRC. There's a little bug with the background color of menu bars (they're often white instead of light gray) but otherwise it's fine.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-En ... inXP.shtml

BTW, Group Policy is sort of like tweaker, at least in spirit. All of the desirable registry settings in one place. But you can apply them to groups of computers within a domain, and you can plug in new templates that have more settings, even for non-Microsoft programs. Really anything that uses the registry. Windows XP Pro had the policy editor, which was an easy way to get certain settings, especially if programs kept changing them on you. But now everyone has Home Premium which I don't think has policy editor.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/group_policy_editor.htm
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

John,

Can you explain what Royale Theme is? You know?
Actually a few examples? I went out to their site and read what it's supposed to be; before I would DL/IS.
Could not understand a thing.

You have a tendency to talk what I call "High Tech". Many of us do not get it.

We're all here to swap & trade.

I think you, like many here, assume too much, from us mere mortals.

I don't understand DOMAIN [yet] and a lot of other things you brought up in your response.

I know. It's the language. OK! Granted. So, I'm a poor French student. There has to be some kind of compromise here. No?

How's this? If you use a term or concept that you may think we don't get? - well spell it out in real words. That's not asking a lot.

BUT, I know in this world, you don't want to come off looking like a "rookie". And I respect that. You're voicing your knowledge to the entire world, and so, you have to, and should, put your best foot forward.

But try to keep us bozo's in mind.

I didn't understand anything you said in your response, and those links were, also, worthless.

And I know what your response might be:

"Hey dude, get off your duff and get computer educated"! You are right. I should. And I have been doing this. Other members here have spoken those very words to me. Go to PC school.
Well...tragically, I don't have much time or money for that. I still do have the inclination.

But, you also have to realize, ole' Billy Gates made the computer readily available for EVERYONE. Made it easy. Yeah, right!

So, we're at a crossroads, aren't we?

John, you are brilliant.

Please explain things a bit clearer, sometimes.

:D :? :\ 8) :) :o
Chip
John Cipriano

Post by John Cipriano »

It's not my intent. I certainly wouldn't ever tell someone to "get computer educated." If I looked down on people who hadn't spent as much time on a computer as I have had to, I wouldn't visit the computer section of the board so much, or in general try to help people with computer issues. In fact, what I like about computers is not necessarily fixing them. So I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. There are better things to spend your time on. Music, for one thing.

If my writing is too brief, I apologize. I'm maybe not the best communicator. For instance, it's hard for me to explain what a domain is without bringing up things like authentication. Suffice it to say, a Windows domain is a lot of Windows computers that talk to a central server and can access the same things, like office printers. Often the administrator will be interested in changing some setting on all of them at once. Microsoft makes a tool for that, and if you are on a domain, your computer asks the server every few minutes what the new settings are (typically registry settings) and then they get applied.

The only reason I brought it up at all is because I thought others would find it interesting, but I wouldn't expect anyone to use Group Policy to change settings on a single computer, so it's not a solution to a problem or anything. I am probably not clear enough about when I am saying something that is potentially useful vs. something that is purely educational.

Regarding the theme, I forgot that you aren't running XP these days. But for anyone else that is running XP, it makes Windows look like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royale_%28theme%29
Windows has the ability to load themes, which set what the windows and taskbar, etc, look like. The default one is called "Luna" internally, and then there is "Classic" which is the Windows 95 look. So by installing Royale you can have another theme to choose from, which is not a big deal but if you are on the computer a lot you might get sick of looking at the same old stuff all the time.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Having worked in IT, I know it can be a problem communicating with a user on their level, because you don't always know what their level is. Sometimes they think you're talking down to them and sometimes they don't know what you're talking about. :\
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TzHbcXYwI4
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Having managed a large LAN/WAN Network and Hardware Help Desk, we always started out at a very basic techncial level and then went up if the user on the other end appeared to have a "little knowledge". As we were dealing with mostly non-technical users (SSA Office personnel)we were safe in our usual assumption. Our support was 99% over the phone and we had to "lead them by the hand" during troubleshooting. The biggest hassle, if you want to call it that, was when someone would call in and convinced of what their problem was and we would have them doublecheck items. We found, over the years, that often something was overlooked and having them go back over whatever it was many times would resolve the problem. The funny "gotchas" were when they would call in with something such as a printer is not working and we would ask them to check to see if it's "on line" (the ones we used had both a power and an on line/off line switch) or plugged into the AC outlet and they would come back to the phone with "it's working now" and then hang up the phone.

I was an Air Force tech school instructor (communications and electronics at Keesler AFB) and one of the basics of teaching is you teach at the level of the slowest student.