Laser etched Fingerboards

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Yarboro

Laser etched Fingerboards

Post by Ron Yarboro »

Hello to all,
My name is Ron and I've been lurking for years, but haven't posted much.

I have seen a few lap steels that were posted on this forum that looks like they have fingerboards that were laser etched, but I could be wrong. I'm referring to "laserable two-tone acrylic", not clear acrylic.

For the sake of clarity, It can be referred to as "laser etched black top, white core plastic" or the opposite (white top black core plastic).

I'm building a lap steel, and would like to try something other than a wood fingerboard.

Does anyone use laser etched fingerboards on their guitars?

Sample of the "laser etched black top, white core plastic" that the company Pololu sent me is posted below.

Thanks,
Ron

Leroy Beal

Post by Leroy Beal »

I've used laser etched fret boards on 3 of my instruments, but not using the 2 tone material. I've only used mirrored acrylic that was etched, then painted. Very stunning to look at. Check out these photo albums.

http://www.leroybeal.net/guitars/acoust ... index.html

http://www.leroybeal.net/guitars/lap/BA/index.html

http://www.leroybeal.net/guitars/lap/lap01/index.html

Good luck.
Leroy Beal
Ron Yarboro

Post by Ron Yarboro »

Hi Leroy,
Thanks for your fast reply. I recall reading a thread about your fingerboards. I didn't really understand the process you explained. It looks nice. I'm just not sure how you achieved the final product ( my fault, not yours). By the way, nice guitars! Thanks.

Ron
George Piburn

edit

Post by George Piburn »

edit
Last edited by George Piburn on 23 Jun 2012 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Yarboro

Re: Lucite

Post by Ron Yarboro »

George Piburn wrote:If you are looking for a 1 off piece, we may be able to help also,

have a few second hand pieces. 22.5 scale

Leroy's goodies are super good, he most likely can make something exactly like you design.

Mine are designed to fit my GB's and the New Stealths.

MR.Boards :D
Thanks Mr. Boards for your offer, but the guitar that I'm building is 25" Scale.
Your guitars are great!

Ron
basilh

Post by basilh »

Ron Yarboro wrote: the guitar that I'm building is 25" Scale.
Ron
In that case, Chris Drew of Bristolian Guitars can help you. His laser etched fretboards are silver faced and abalone or MOP inlay (Customized to YOUR spec), and he told me he can make them ANY scale length.

http://www.bristolianguitars.com/

Ron Yarboro

Post by Ron Yarboro »

Hi Basil,
Thanks for your reply. Thats a nice fingerboard you posted. I can go for something like that If It's cost feasible, considering that the maker is in the UK.

Thanks,
Ron
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

SGF member James Palenscar recently made me a custom laser etched replica "plexiglas" fretboard for a 1948 Supro. He did a marvelous and exacting job and was great to commo with in getting it all exact. The "plexiglas" is clear, ...sprayed black on the back, ...then the frets and markers are laser etched out of the black back, leaving them clear, ...then a white coat is sprayed to the back again to make the etched-out clear to become white. Highly recommended; Here's some pics of that work (small apparant irregularities are digital pixels and not on the fretboard; The fretboard is litterally perfect.

Here's Jim's website:
http://www.steelguitars.me/
Aloha,
Denny T~
http://www.dennysguitars.com/

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus
Mark Bracewell

Post by Mark Bracewell »

If you're shopping for a quote, you can try me too, I make laser etched acrylic and wood inlay boards, helped Leroy with his mirror boards. The hard part is deciding what to make, there are endless variations. The laserable plastic is interesting stuff.

Here's yesterday's project...

Ron Yarboro

Post by Ron Yarboro »

Thanks Denny and Mark for the links and photo. Those are nice looking fingerboards. I see there's lots of laser fingerboards to choose from.

Regards,
Ron
Robert Allen

Post by Robert Allen »

John Polk at Terrapin Guitars www.terrapinguitars.com is one of the companies I use for my fingerboards. The name of the material is Textured Coextruded Impact Acrylic from Johnson Plastics. Bob Allen, Allen Melbert Steels.
Ron Yarboro

Post by Ron Yarboro »

Hi Robert Allen,
Thats a really nice guitar. Johnson Plastics seem to be the biggest maker of laser cut plastics. Their website is huge.

Robert Allen, does the Textured Coextruded Impact Acrylic have a white core?
Thanks.

I have a question for anyone. What size are you laser cut fret lines? I drew mine 2 mm in Adobe Illustrator. I want to make sure I can see them.
Do you think 2 mm too wide?

Thanks,
Ron
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Do you think 2 mm too wide?
2mm is about as thick as I'd suggest. When I inlay my necks or fretboards I use 1/16", (1.58 mm), material, mother of pearl in this example.

Ron Yarboro

Post by Ron Yarboro »

Hi Tom,
Thanks for posting the pics. Thats a beautiful neck, and one of my favorite Pettingill guitars. How do you cut the MOP with precision?

Ron
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Thanks Ron ... I buy the MOP precut. It can run from .30 - .50 cents an inch and takes about 100" allowing for waste and breakage.
I've seen some cool shell cutting jigs made that use high end drawer slides and a diamond wheel on a Dremel that can do close tolerance work.

For the wood markers I usually buy it in sheets already thicknessed. Most good hobby shops stock varyious thickness and sizes in maple, mahogany, basswood, walnut, and cherry.
The dots I make with a strait cut plug cutter.

Ron Yarboro

Post by Ron Yarboro »

Hi Tom,

The neck you posted fits the guitar body perfectly.

I'll check the local hobby shop for the pre-cut wood markers. I could use them on my next build.

Thanks,
Ron
Robert Allen

Post by Robert Allen »

The Johnson plastics textured coextruded impact acrylic that I use is two layers, white underneath .062, black top layer is .005 thick. Frets lines are .045 width. Johnson also makes a similar material for cutting on CNC router. One of my suppliers does laser cutting, the other does router cutting. Price and quality is about the same. Bob Allen
Ron Yarboro

Post by Ron Yarboro »

Robert Allen wrote:The Johnson plastics textured coextruded impact acrylic that I use is two layers, white underneath .062, black top layer is .005 thick. Frets lines are .045 width. Johnson also makes a similar material for cutting on CNC router. One of my suppliers does laser cutting, the other does router cutting. Price and quality is about the same. Bob Allen

The Johnson website can be a bit overwhelming, so thanks for the info. and specs.

Ron
Ron Yarboro

Post by Ron Yarboro »

Thanks everyone for your contribution to this thread, It really opened up my eyes to the many possibilities using laser etching for fretboards.

Anyone know how the Vega Console fingerboard was made in Andy Volks thread "1939 Vega Console Steel ... cool!" ? (link below)

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=181763

Are there any lap Steel Guitar manufacturers that used (or use) screen printing for fretboards?

Being an ex-screen printer I would like to know.

Thanks,
Ron