how many of you play a GFI Ultra?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Ripperden

how many of you play a GFI Ultra?

Post by Bob Ripperden »

trying to find out if the GFI is very popular?
Thanks
Bob
William Sender

Post by William Sender »

I don't, but I just saw the guy from My Morning Jacket playing one on Austin City Limits. It sounded great! I would definitely like to play one.
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Yup.

And it's BLACK.
Trimmed in GOLD.

Howzat for class!
Geoff Barnes

Post by Geoff Barnes »

I own one of these... superb wee beastie!
Too much equipment....I think I need help.
Chuck Huffman
Location: Sonora, California, Now Living in Siloam Springs, Ar. USA

Post by Chuck Huffman »

I love mine, she has a beautiful tone right into the amp, no effects. I've not had any trouble and very smooth pedal and lever action
ZumSteel SD-10 5-8, GFI Ultra SD-10 3+4, Goodrich V/P, Boss DD3, FenderFM, Vegas 400. Learning to play for my Savior, Jesus......
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

I needed something easier and more "normal" to learn on than all the mercurial vintage (sonically unequalled in modern technology: ZB, Sho-Bud, Fender, Emmons) rigs I have. So I got a used SD-10 Ultra even though it's the ugliest possible color combination (blue with black mica--assuming GFI doesn't offer an olive-drab option.) Sounds excellent, plays with ease, but I'm not getting rid of the old ones--just learning to play better.

(That said, the GFI's for sale at least for the moment, but only because of financial necessity and future replace-ability. Ideally, next time around will be in some combination of black, gold and red.)
"Gopher, Everett?"
Jack Wilson

G

Post by Jack Wilson »

1 Ultra, 2 Expo X-1s, and 1 Expo. I personally like the X-1s the best.
Sonny Priddy

Gfi

Post by Sonny Priddy »

I've Had one For 5 or 6 Years Never Had To Do Anything to It But Play it. Great Guitars. SONNY.
Doug Seymour

GFI Ultra

Post by Doug Seymour »

I got one the 13th of March, an almost not used, GFI Ultra keyless D10 ! Just what the Dr ordered, but then he told me my growth was malignant!?! If our great Lord wants me to play it more here on earth I will 'cause I love it!
Dennis Love

Post by Dennis Love »

I have a S-10 keyless Ultra. Can't say enough good things about the tone and playability. It sounds unbelievable. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't go with the keyless ONLY because I like the classic keyhead look. These things matter to a steel player sometimes. Haha but otherwise it plays easily and sounds beautiful.
Dennis Love

Post by Dennis Love »

Sorry I missed your post Doug. Very sorry to hear about your condition. All the best wishes for a full recovery.
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I have a friend that has a SD10 Ultra. He has a good tone and says it plays easy. He has had it four years now without problems.
Kenn Geiger

GFI Ultra

Post by Kenn Geiger »

I own a Red GFI Ultra 5x5 and have not had a singlle problem with it. It weighs about half of what my MCI D10 does. Can't say enough good about them - they are a well built smooth action instrument with fantastic customer support!
Last edited by Kenn Geiger on 20 Apr 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zachary Walters

Post by Zachary Walters »

Yup just got a refurbished 2006 Ultra D-10, by Bobby Bowman. Looks just like Geoff's up there.
1981 Push-Pull
2009 Super Glide Custom
Dick Phillips

Dick Phillips

Post by Dick Phillips »

I traded my Emmons D10 for a GFI Red. I have been very happy with the tone and also the action on it.
Rupert Kingston

Post by Rupert Kingston »

I've had my red GFI Ultra D10 for several years now & it's the best steel I've ever had. Great looks/design, bullet proof build, & amazingly classic tone! Not only that but it doesn't break my back to carry it around - Gene Fields is definitely THE MAN!
Thomas Ludwig

Post by Thomas Ludwig »

I have a GFI Ultra D-10 black on silver. I'm a beginner and its my first PSG. I didn't want to go from a starter modell to a better one and then to a good one. I just wanted to buy one and keep it and I think it is a keeper.

Thomas
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

Hands down the best off the shelf steel made. GFI Ultra. I have had mine for 2 years and love it.
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.
Norbert Dengler

Post by Norbert Dengler »

i got mine used 2 years ago (2004 model)
its an s 10 and its a very cool gutar, i love it a lot.
customer support is fantastic by bob in missoury.
they are very affordable and are used by many pros.
that says most i guess.
Jamie Howze

Post by Jamie Howze »

I bought a used U-12 Ultra several years ago. It looks good, but some of the parts are pretty worn most notably the axle of the changer. It plays and sounds great though. They are very easy to work on, I've torn mine down pretty much to the wood underneath, added a vertical knee lever which they didn't come with when mine was made. I've completely re-rodded and set up the copedant. Time consuming, but easy to work on. The folks at GFI were great to work with when I purchased the vertical knee too.
Jamie
Gary Chiappetta

GFI Ultra

Post by Gary Chiappetta »

I purchased a GFI SD-10 Ultra last year. Nothing but good things to say about it. And I can carry it easily with one hand!
Zachary Walters

Post by Zachary Walters »

Couldn't help it, had to post mine. Also pictured is a Williams 400 series I may be selling soon.

1981 Push-Pull
2009 Super Glide Custom
Bob Ripperden

Post by Bob Ripperden »

Thank all of you so very much for comments. I just purchased a GFI ULTRA D-10 last night and it will take about 3 days to get here. From your feedback I know I'll be happy with it. :D
Thanks Again,
Bob
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I play a 2004 GFI Ultra D-10 and it's awesome! It's red and gold-nicknamed "Redgold Beauty".

Brett
Mike Sigler

Post by Mike Sigler »

I own 4 of them ! and i love the EXPO as well i have 2 of those.... Playing on the road , i run into guys with GFI's all the time... and have never heard one bad comment ! yes sir ree thats the Guitar For Me !
:)
Mike