Few Things About My Oahu

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Omar Rashan

Few Things About My Oahu

Post by Omar Rashan »

I just won an Oahu Tonemaster off of Ebay. I'm just curious what year it was from. There is a number on the end that reads "T610". Could this determine the year? I'm not sure if they put pot codes on these guitars.. if so I might have to have a look at that if that number doesn't help.

Also, I was told by the seller that the volume pot is a little scratchy when adjusted. I know pots can be cleaned as a remedy, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing this. I'd be grateful for any information.
Rich Hlaves

Post by Rich Hlaves »

Omar,

I can help with the pot cleaning. Get a can of DeOxit D5. You will need to spray it in the body of the pot so control plate or rear cover removal is neccessary.

Once you gain acces to the noisey pot rotate it all the way to one side. Spray a small squirt of D5 onto the opening behind the connection tabs. Turn the shaft of the pot back and forth 10-20 times. Repeat the process but start with the pot shaft rotated in the opposite direction you first started. You are done! Perform this service on the other pot as well. It will prolong its life.

I use nothing but DeOxit D5 on guitars/amps I service. Others have reported success with other brands but I have had the best luck with DeOxit. It contains a lubricant that conditions the newly cleand surfaces.

Sorry but I know nothing about the dates you need via ser. #
On man....let the smoke out of another one.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Rich,
Doesn't Stew-Mac have a gadget that screws onto the pot that allows one to spray down the pots shaft, and doesn't require any disassembly?
Omar Rashan

Post by Omar Rashan »

Thanks Rich.

Another question.

What kind of strings should I use on this? It's my first lap steel. Do they typically just use guitar strings? Also, what guage would be best? I know you can go pretty thick (I like thicker tone), but I also don't want severe tension to mess anything up.
Rich Hlaves

Post by Rich Hlaves »

Yes, Stu-Mac has one of those gadgets. Kinda cool but a much better job is done if you can get to the pot and spray right inside. Wash and rinse so to speak. They are great for guitars like a Gibson ES-335 where it is a major pain in the %&* to pull the pots. I consider it a special tool for special occations. Removing the knobs on some guitars is worse than getting to the back of the control cavity.

Omar,

String guage will depend on what tuning you plan on paying. Even if you tune to an open E the guages will be heavier than with a std. six string. Take a look at the string section by clicking on strings at the top of any forum page, you will see many tunings with different guages for each (well almost).

I started with C6 not that that is were you need to start. It suited the music I wanted to learn at the time. I now use C#m7 for some stuff and E or Em for my David Gilmore fixes.
On man....let the smoke out of another one.
Omar Rashan

Post by Omar Rashan »

I plan on using open E.
Steinar Gregertsen

Re: Few Things About My Oahu

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Omar Rashan wrote:There is a number on the end that reads "T610".
That would be 1958, according to this list (Oahus were made by Valco).
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Cool that you found a steel Omar :)

The Jagwire strings sold through the forum work great. Look towards the middle / bottom of the page for #J-L6E http://pedalsteelmusic.com/strings.html