emmons vs day set up

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Zaikowski

emmons vs day set up

Post by David Zaikowski »

Would you guys be able to explain the difference between the day and emmons set up? I'm new to the psg.

Also, question #2: What does a Franklin pedal do?

Thanks for your assistance, as there is much I have to learn.

Dave
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

Day and Emmons are mirrored compared to each other.
The PF pedal lowers strings 5 and 6.

Here's some charts that shows the setups of Jimmy Day, Buddy Emmons and Paul Franklin:
http://b0b.com/tunings/stars.html#E9jd
If you scroll down that page you will find Tommy White, who uses a "modernized" Day setup.
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

David

The important thing to remember is that there is no difference in the potential of either set-up - what can be played on one can be played on the other. As others have explained, it's just that one is the mirror-image of the other.

I favour 'Day', but that's mainly because my first-ever steel was set up that way and I've seen no reason to change over the last thirty-something years.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ben Feher

Post by Ben Feher »

I'm tempted to try out the day setup because of how my ankle rolls so is easier to hold down the B pedal and hitting the A pedal. Same thing with holding C and hitting B. It feels awkward in Emmons setup.

Then again I've only had a pedal steel for a week, so I'm going to stick with emmons a bit longer and see what happens.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Ben

Do a 'search' on the Forum and you'll find countless discussions on this subject. I happen to agree with you with regard to the the ease with which the ankle rolls to the left, yet clearly the 'Emmons' set-up hasn't hampered any number of wonderful players in playing exactly how and what they wanted to play!

It is often argued that one also needs to engage the '5 & 10-raise' pedal without using the 'B' pedal (or rolling in the other direction), and that negates the apparent advantage that we 'Day advocates' claim. I must admit that, for years, I'd adopted a bad habit here - when engaging just my 3rd pedal, I'd move my foot to the right. Russ Wever pointed out my error one day and, ever since, I've made myself leave my foot centrally-placed. It's a more economical practice and, in the process, I'm become accustomed to rolling that ankle in the other direction.

Me moving my foot to the right as I was doing before showed how firmly indoctrinated was my 'Day set-up' method. Now I've found that I can more easily sit behind a guitar with an 'Emmons' set-up and get by - I still get confused here and there, but I'm physically more able to do it.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
David Zaikowski

Post by David Zaikowski »

Thanks