In memory of Bill Simmons

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Rick Simmons

In memory of Bill Simmons

Post by Rick Simmons »

In loving memory of son Bill Simmons:April 12/09.

We thought about so many things as we held tightly to your hand...Oh how we wished that you were strong & happy once again...but your eyes were looking homeward to that place beyond the sky...where Jesus held His outstretched arms for it was time to say "Goodbye"...We struggled with our selfish thoughts & wanted you to stay...so we could walk & talk again, like we did just yesterday...But Jesus knew the answer & we know He loved you so..SO WE GAVE YOU LIFE'S GREATEST GIFT,THE GIFT OF LETTING GO.
Love Mother, Dad & Sister Darleen.

Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Dear Lil and Rick,
Reaching out my hand to you in memory of your dear son.
From my one exchange with Bill here on the forum, and from meeting you and you telling me about him, I feel that I have known this man for a long time.
I guess I will never understand why it seems the good ones have to go away much too early.

Please know that you are in my thoughts tonight as I read your words.
Although I have never met Darleen, the same goes for her.

With love from your friend in London
Bent
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I am so honored that I was able to meet Bill 6 years ago. He comes across my mind occasionally and I know for sure he is missed by many people. May the Good Lord continue to comfort the family as the anniversary of his death nears. Our loss was heavens gain.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Even though I never met Bill face to face, I miss him every day.

He was such a good man, a good friend and a super funny guy.

I still play a guitar that I got from Bill and think about him every day when I see it.

I can't imagine the terrible loss this wonderful family must feel.

If there ever was anybody that was ready for eternal life with Jesus, it was Bill.

God Bless You All
Jack Conyer

Post by Jack Conyer »

Our Friends Rcik and Lil, We feel so honored to be your friends and to have known your fine son Bill. A great person as well as a talented steel player. He will always be remembered as well as you both, the Christain Parents that raised him and influenced his life. We know you miss him greatly. What a comfort it must be to know he is now healed and with his Lord in Heaven We love you, Your Friends, Jack and Sandra Conyer
Laney Hicks

Remembering Bill

Post by Laney Hicks »

Dear Rick and Lil,
I've packed so many things away, I can't find your number. Today, I had an opportunity to check in on the Forum, and saw this great picture of Bill and your loving "verse" that so well shows just what kind of relationship you and he had.
I still find it hard to lock into my mind that he's in Heaven now. I'm so glad for him, but, for the rest of us, we have lost a true friend, a genuine encourager, and there is a void in his place. Bill cared so much about Russ and me, and, I realize, many, many others God strategically put in his path. I think we worked him overtime,though, because he tried so hard to promote "us" as a "duo", but, Bill was so energetic and creative in his mind, that he couldn't help but try to find ways that we might grow and use our talents as individuals, too! He had a way of making you feel special and unique, and that you could do almost anything you set your mind to. I miss his energy! I miss his humor! I miss his heart.

Thank you for posting this picture. It allowed me to hear his "voice" and remember him fondly today.

Bless you folks,

Laney
Ts McDonald

"Bishop Bill Simmons"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Ts McDonald »

"Bishop", We "Love You and Miss You, Brother!!!!!

"Ts"
Ts Image
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

The first time I ever talked to Bill was on the phone . He called me about an LDG that I had for sale . He had a friend that was looking for one , which turned out to be Tom McDonald . Later on Tom introduced me to Bill at the Dallas Jamboree . Thanks Tom . He was such a likeable , polite , caring person and a great witness for Christ . Also a fantastic steel guitarist . Our loss on earth is Heavens gain . I'm glad I had the priviledge of knowing him .
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Danny Sneed

Post by Danny Sneed »

I never met Bill in person but he sent me a really nice e-mail and I answerd him back, I wish we would of had more time to get better aquainted. Life is too short....GOD BLESS
Bob Simmons

Bill

Post by Bob Simmons »

it's me again Rick ! think about my buddy every day - got his picture up in my shop - he's up there jammin with my son Josh and Mr. Helms and all....we'll get there if we stay on the right track - enjoyed talking with you a while back bob
Rick Simmons

Our heat felt thanks

Post by Rick Simmons »

Lil & I wish to thank the many fine people for your kind & encouraging comments. Mr.& Mrs,Bill Cook,thank you for your love to our son,& your kindness to us deserves special mention. Yes Laney, Bill always had a special place in his heart for you & Russ. Our thanks to Ernie Cawby for helping me get this "memorial" of Bill on the Forum ;Tom McDonald for being a brother to Bill;Connie & Lowell Lundstrom for your years of love & friendship; Charley & Denise Tryon for taking us into their hearts. To all the Pratteville & Gardendale musicians; there are so many to mention by name but you will always be very special to us.

Rick Lil Simmons & Sister Darleen.
Darleen Simmons Brauen

Post by Darleen Simmons Brauen »

I want to thank everyone for your continueous love and support you gave my mom dad and I as we went and still are going through this sorrow. I miss my brother so much there are no words to explain. I was able to get a hat that my brother wore the day he went into the hosptial and I still hold onto it some nights and cry. I am so happy that God gave him relief from this life but I still would love to hold him again and tell him how much I love him. Everytime we would talk on the phone we always ended with I love you. The last words he said was sis "It hurts so much when I hang the phone up after talking to you because I miss you and I love you." I still hear those words in my mind. He was a fantastic, loving brother. I still constantly tell stories about him, he always made me laugh, I miss that so very much. If I sound down, I am,sorry for pouring my heart out but I know since you are all his friends you would understand.
Thank you to the Forum for allowing such a great way for us to communicate with all of you.

PS If you have brothers and sisters (or any family members)that you don't see much, please, give them a call and tell them how much you love them. If your not talking to each other make it right. I am so glad that Bill and I had such a great relationship, no regrets in that area. Just wishing we didnt live so many miles apart, life is so short.

This is a special note for Andy G for calling mom and dad almost everynight after Bill left us, knowing that Billie would call mom dad faithfully every evening to talk or to play guitars over the phone. Thank you Andy we love you very much.

Love "Bill's sister forever" Darleen

I love you mom and dad!! Thank you for your support God always gave us strength to support each other when we are down. Family wow what a gift!!
Jerry Humphries

Post by Jerry Humphries »

Been thinking of Bill a lot lately. Sure do miss him. With that being said I will see him soon as our live's here are only a vapor. Rick may God continue to comfort you, Lil, and Darleen.
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I miss Bill so much. Nobody to eat ice cream with at TSGA now.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Rick, Lil and Darleen,

There just aren't words to say how much knowing Bill, and all of you, means to me. It's an honor to be with Bill in the picture you posted. Thank you.

And Dumplin', next year in Dallas, in honor of Bill, I'll dang sure eat some ice cream with you.

Jim
Bill Hamner

Post by Bill Hamner »

Before Bill established his residence in Birmingham I knew him only as a fellow forum member... from Texas of all places. :( Soon after he arrived in Birmingham we met and I had found a new & faithful friend. Bill's life was all about helping people. He was always upbeat with a great attitude about life and his fellow man. Once I met Rick & Lil There was no doubt where those traits originated. Mom & Dad, look up daily and thank GOD for granting you custody of that wonderful person, my friend Bill Simmons.
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Rick, Lil, Darlene & all Bill's friends, I haven't been on the forum much in a while, but I'm sure glad I logged in tonight! This Easter reminded me of what Bill lived; Salvation. I miss my friend and think about him often. He was a GREAT steel man and the best friend we all could have ever had; you did better than good raising that man. I hope our paths cross down the road. Luv ya'll, Tim
doug jernigan

Memories of a dear friend

Post by doug jernigan »

We love Bill and count it a priviledge to have had him in our home, visit our church and the countless times he would stop by our booth at steel guitar shows. When it comes our time to go we will see you on the other side. Gone but truly never forgotten...
May God comfort His Loved Ones until you see him again!

God Bless,
Doug and Jetta Jernigan
Bill Cook

My Brother

Post by Bill Cook »

I have been wanting to post something here for the longest time, but couldn't find the right words, and face the hurt and pain that I still carry. Bill Simmons was an Angel on this Earth. If there were a better man in my lifetime, I never met him. He loved everyone he met and knew no stranger. I wish I could/would have lived my life the way he did. He will always be my Brother, Rick and Lil my Father and Mother, and Darleen my Sister. I too think we, all who loved him, overworked him while he was with us. I think of my Brother every day of my life and always ask myself, "What would Bill say to me in this situation?" RIP my BROTHER!!!!One day we will be together.
Darleen Simmons Brauen

I haven't been on the Forum for a while only because I can't stop crying as I write about my wonderful, wonderful brother. To you Bill Cook and your lovely wife Cathy, I am too hurting so much. Bill loved you both and always talked about you. I will e-mail you privatley.
Tomorrow is Fathers day and I just sent an e-mail to my nephew Jason, Bill's oldest son, letting him know he will be in my thought's on this special day and Jason and his family will be in my prayers.
Last night I was happy about something and the first person I wanted to call was my brother and share the good news and then I realized I can't. That's when I feel like my heart has been torn apart again. I am going to grief councelling right now but sometimes it feels like a bandage, when you are alone with your thoughts or something comes up that reminds me of the great times I had with my brother I feel like I am starting all over again. I don't know what I would do with out God in my life because He is my strength. I miss my brother with all my heart and I can't wait to see him one day. His heart was BIG and he loved to encourage everyone. You all held a special place in his heart.
Mom and dad (Rick and Lil) have taken a well deserved holiday and went home to Winnipeg to visit family and friends. I miss them, please pray for their safety as they travel home. (not sure when they are coming home the little gypsies)
Andy, you have stepped in like a brother and a son, thank you, calling my mom and dad faithfully almost every night as my brother did. Billie would call my parents everynight and play guitars over the speaker phone. Andy I know they are visiting you now and are having a good time playing music. Thank you
Sorry for going on and on but this makes me feel like I am talking to my brothers best friends , all of you!!
The last words my brother said to me was " it hurts so much when I have to hang up from talking to you, I miss you, I love you"! Bill I love you too
Love Bill's sister forever
Darleen Simmons Brauen

To Bills friends, just a short note to thank you as so many of you have kept in touch with us Bill's family. Mom and Dad are touring Alabama visiting their or I should say our friends. I know that this is a probably very hard for them to do but yet a very happy time too. I believe this is another great step towards healing for them. You are wonderful people and thanks for taking care of them for me. Come home safe. I miss my brother everday. Love Bill's sister forever
Darleen Simmons Brauen
darlabraue@rogers.com
Harold Dye

Post by Harold Dye »

Rick and Lil, when Bill moved to Alabama he posted on the forum asking if there were any clubs or pickings going on here. I responded by telling him about Gardendale. He came back to me with enthusiasm about being able to attend. I don't know if I was the first or last to respond to his post but I gained a true friend by doing so. Each time I go to the club meeting now I truly miss him. I am glad I knew him and also had the opportunity to meet you each time you attended there. He was a special person. God bless you.