.bin

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Lee Holeman

.bin

Post by Lee Holeman »

Are there any converters for Mac to change .bin to something else?
Lee Holeman
theholemans@aol.com
John Cipriano

Post by John Cipriano »

You still haven't told us where it came from, .bin could mean a lot of things :)
Lee Holeman

.bin

Post by Lee Holeman »

I downloaded a HUGE file of Karaoke tracks to be used on a computer. They show up as BIAB, but BIAB can't open them. The guy I got them from does a single, singing along to the tracks on a PC, but I use Mac. When I "get information" on the files they show up as BIAB!!!!!!!!!!!
winston

Post by winston »

PowerKaraoke makes a player that will play the files and allow the words to show. I know of no converter though.
John Cipriano

Post by John Cipriano »

Is it possible to find out from the guy what software he uses? Winston may be right about it being PowerKaraoke. If BIAB won't open them, then they can't be BIAB files, despite having the same extension as BIAB files. .bin is a common extension, and one of the bad things about determining filetype by the last three letters is that you run into coincidences like that.

Anyway, if it turns out you need Windows software, you have a few different options for getting that running on your Mac. CrossOver Mac is probably the simplest, and there is a free trial. PowerKaraoke offers a trial too, so it might make sense to take advantage of both to see if those files are for PK.

That said, I suspect that these are "images" of the CD+G discs that are used with karaoke equipment.

What I would try first is to take one and rename it to .cdr, so if it's karoke.bin it becomes karaoke.cdr, and then mount it. If it won't mount from being clicked on, use Disk Utility (in DU: File > Open Disk Image...). Once it's mounted, use kJams to open it.

http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/FAQ
winston

Post by winston »

With a program called MP3+G Toolz you can split the .bin files into 2 separate files, one is mp3 the other is graphics. You can play the mp3 in any media player but the words will not show. It takes a special player to play the graphics like PowerKaraoke. I deal with this kind of stuff all the time on a PC not a MAC. If I can help PM me and I will try. Winston May
Lee Holeman

PowerKaraoke

Post by Lee Holeman »

Thanks for the help. The guy I got the tracks from does indeed use PowerKaraoke. I went to their web and couldn't find anything for Mac.
Lee
John Cipriano

Post by John Cipriano »

Did you try mounting them as disc images? Because there is Mac karaoke software that should work if they are just CD+G images.
Lee Holeman

Post by Lee Holeman »

Thanks John, but no luck mounting as a disk image! Do you know the names of some Mac karaoke players that I can try out?
Lee Holeman
theholemans@aol.com
John Cipriano

Post by John Cipriano »

The only one I really looked at was kJams. I don't know if it can open the files though. I figured you'd have to mount them first because it didn't explicitly say it supported them. But you can play around with it. If you really need that Windows program you can run it in Crossover.